Fermentation in plastic containers

salami dom

Fermentation in plastic containers

Post by salami dom » Wed Jun 28, 2023 23:36

Hi All

Having experienced some difficulty using my salami cabinet for both fermentation and drying, I am looking to adapt my process to avoid using my cabinet for fermentation. This will enable me to leave my cabinet set to drying setting throughout the year enabling me to dry different batches 9g salami throughout the year .

I use tspx so fermentation temps required suit the ambient temperatures within my house for most of the year (and if not I have air-conditioning which can be adjusted to maintain fairly stable temperature).

My proposed method, which I believe would scale up and down fairly well for me, is to place my salami in plastic food grade containers with plastic lids and leave in a suitable room to ferment for 48-72 hours before moving to drying cabinet. I can fit about 4 to 5 salami per container (casings around 60mm thick by 50cm long). I expect the moisture from the meat itself will provide the required humidity within the containers.

I have seen a few posts on this forum where similar approaches have been taken. I was just hoping to get an idea of how common this approach might be and any potential issues I may need to prepare for.

Thank you 🙂
michi
User
User

Re: Fermentation in plastic containers

Post by michi » Thu Jun 29, 2023 10:33

I don't see why this would not work. You need high humidity during the fermentation. A sealed container will do that. I've simply been wrapping the salami on a tray with a rack in a big plastic bag and letting it hang out at room temperature until fermentation is done. I add a tiny bit of water to the tray, so things are nice and humid. Works a treat.

The rack is important, I think. If the salamis are touching each other or are sitting on the bottom of the container, they might get a bit too wet.

Michi.
salami dom

Post by salami dom » Fri Jun 30, 2023 03:13

Thanks Michi. Good to hear others are using similar methods.

I thought I might put towels underneath and on top of the salami to absorb any excess moisture, but I see how the trays would work well too.

I'm also contemplating hanging them from dowels atop a large plastic tub which I then cover with a towel. This would allow me to hand the salami and also introduce a heat pad/bowl of water if necessary. Just need to find one tall enough.

I guess I'll need to test it all out and report back!
jcflorida
User
User

Post by jcflorida » Fri Jun 30, 2023 04:00

Its not high tech, but I just wrap my salami tightly in saran wrap (clingy plastic film) to ferment. That keeps the humidly at essentially 100%. I use B-LC-007 culture and like to ferment at 18º (64ºF), so since the house is typically kept at 80º, I use a small used mini fridge with temperature control. Use the same set-up to ferment sauerkraut, pickles, etc. that also require the same temperature.