Heritage Breeds

lowpull
Beginner
Beginner

Post by lowpull » Wed Nov 09, 2011 22:43

There is no season except open, you can kill day or night any time of the year. No limits. I dont use any of the magnum rounds (destroys too much meat) Ive used 250 savage, 30-06 and a specialty round for the AR called a .50 beowulf. Ive got the 300 savage, 250 savage and 35 remington and 50 beowulf ready for this year. Last year was so dry that the acorns didnt make, so they didnt come onto the farm. But the year before they were running in a pack of about 40. They breed so fast that it is near impossible to kill them out.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Nov 10, 2011 21:49

This is an interesting collection of hog farming experiences.
http://journeytoforever.org/farm_pig.html
Ross- tightwad home cook
farmboy236
Beginner
Beginner

Post by farmboy236 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 14:22

ssorillih,
That's called "hogging down" the crop. It's actually pretty historic through Appalachia. We have a local Mule trader that plants about 20/30 acres of corn for his herd of Mules every year and they pick and choose as much or as little as they want. Mules, unlike Horses, won't over eat to the point of colic or founder.
Finley52

Post by Finley52 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 05:49

Again, there are organic nutrient supplements to be had (non-petroleum based), and perhaps your mill would be willing to get a bag if they haven't any already. Fertrell is the kind we use around here, but I know there are other companies.

We have talked about doing the meal-worm farm in our basement in cold season as a supplement, but I think the soldier flies will have to suffice and we'll freeze the excess for next winter.

In nature, they'd also eat frogs, lizards, mice, snakes, etc...so they'd get some of their vitamins and minerals from other animals having already gathered them.