Using Cultures in Curing Whole Muscle Cuts

ped
User
User

Post by ped » Tue May 10, 2016 08:40

Redzed, has there been an outcome to this experiment, did you notice a discernible difference in flavour?
redzed

Post by redzed » Sat May 14, 2016 07:56

Ped, that is a tough question because, to be honest, I could not tell the difference between the coppa with the culture and the coppa without. At the moment I have three breasolas drying, and all three were inoculated with the culture. I should have made one without. :???: I will have to make another batch of products with the starter and without, do a taste test with friends and report on my findings.
ped
User
User

Post by ped » Sat May 14, 2016 08:56

Thanks for the feedback Red, unfortunately we can't get this type of culture in the UK so am unable to consider whether it would be worth importing a packet or two!
Mick
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Using Cultures in Curing Whole Muscle Cuts

Post by Mick » Wed Sep 04, 2019 01:13

Hi,
I realize this is an old thread but i recently purchased some B-LC-78 (replacement for C-P-77)
Culture composition: "Pediococcus acidilactici Staphylococcus carnosus"
I plan on doing some tests with a coppa and bresaola - i already have a one of each in EQ to test against.
My question is do i just add the recommended dosage to the cure and EQ in the fridge as normal or will it require higher temps to activate?

Cheers in advance!
redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Sep 04, 2019 07:26

Add the recommended amount and see what happens. If you are doing more than one piece of the cuts you mentioned, don't add the culture to one, and see whether you can tell the difference. I'd really like to hear about the results because there are split opinions whether surface cultures on whole muscle cuts actually make a difference.
StefanS
Passionate
Passionate

Post by StefanS » Wed Sep 04, 2019 23:21

There are some conflict -Safe Pro B-LC-78 it is intended to be use in fermented meats not in a whole cuts.
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Thu Sep 05, 2019 00:24

StefanS wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 23:21
There are some conflict -Safe Pro B-LC-78 it is intended to be use in fermented meats not in a whole cuts.
Not According to CHR Hansen,Intended for use as a Bacon Culture

https://www.chr-hansen.com/en/food-cult ... food/bacon
Mick
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Mick » Thu Sep 05, 2019 00:33

redzed wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 07:26
Add the recommended amount and see what happens. If you are doing more than one piece of the cuts you mentioned, don't add the culture to one, and see whether you can tell the difference. I'd really like to hear about the results because there are split opinions whether surface cultures on whole muscle cuts actually make a difference.
I have a control Coppa , same cure minus the 78.
I left the one with the Bacteria at room temp overnight and it has gone into the fridge with the rest.
Also have a Lombo and bresaola curing with the LC-78 added. Will see how they are in a couple of months and post my results!
Mick
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Mick » Thu Sep 05, 2019 00:36

StefanS wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 23:21
This is the product description on one of the online suppliers. each place i found it had a similar description.

"The Safepro range is a series of specifically developed cultures for application in a variety of food products. The B-LC-78 is typically used to cure whole muscle meats such as Capocolla and Prosciutto. The culture has a high salt tolerance and secures the formation of pleasant curing flavour and stable colour along with great antagonistic properties against Listeria. It also retards rancidity formation.

Culture Composition: Pediococcus Acidilactici, Staphylococcus Carnosus

Dosage: 25g per 100kg added directly to the curing salt or to the brine. Dissolution prior to use is not recommended. "
Mick
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Mick » Thu Sep 05, 2019 01:07

Links to the Aussie sites stocking it:

https://au.thecasingboutique.com/produc ... rm-b-lc-78

https://www.mblsa.com.au/326504/MEAT-CU ... 5gm/pd.php

I purchased from MBL as i was in store the other day.
StefanS
Passionate
Passionate

Post by StefanS » Sat Sep 07, 2019 01:46

Here is different description from AU - https://www.smokedandcured.com.au/safep ... r-culture/
(there is wrong picture of starter).
Also that starter contain P. Acidilactici - strict producer of LAB.
On other hand - that starter wont be harmful - just IMO do not make good impact on product.
reddal
User
User

Re:

Post by reddal » Mon Nov 18, 2019 19:01

ped wrote:
Sat May 14, 2016 08:56
Thanks for the feedback Red, unfortunately we can't get this type of culture in the UK so am unable to consider whether it would be worth importing a packet or two!
Westcombe dairy in the UK sell a range of cultures - including B-LC-78

- reddal