B-LC-007

IdaKraut
Passionate
Passionate

B-LC-007

Post by IdaKraut » Mon Mar 17, 2014 20:15

I recently found out about this culture, B-LC-007, but could not gather much information on its use or flavor profile. I decided to do a test batch of Landjäger sausage using this as well as my old standby, T-SPX but with the addition of GDL at 0.3% as suggested by our starter culture expert Igor.

I fermented both test samples at the same 72°F for 48 hours and the pH, using my Hanna tester, shows 4.82 for the B-LC-007 and 4.52 for the T-SPX with GDL. Both samples have the same ingredients with a total of 0.5% dextrose as the only sugar additive.

I will report back in a week or so to report my results.

Also, I recently acquired some "Smooth Acid Blend" which is produced by International Collagen Resource, LLC, Labadie, MO 63005. It consists of "natural flavor, lactic acid and citric acid". I tested this for some semi-dry cured pepperoni. The packaging gives a recommended usage of 0.22% to produce a pH of 4.9 which results after the sausage hits 150°F. My test results show a final pH of 4.86 after cooking, so it was within guidelines. The flavor is similar to LHP or encapsulated citric acid but less "citrusy". For American style pepperoni for pizza it seems to be a good choice. I have emailed the company to see if they would sell this product directly and for how much. I will report back after they reply.

Till later,
Rudy
Igor Duńczyk
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Igor Duńczyk » Wed Mar 19, 2014 19:37

Thank´s for the laurels Rudy :grin:

I´m waiting eagerly to hear more about the Landjäger progressions - and about results with the B-LC 007.
It seems that you are on pioneering ground with this culture.
Didn´t see it mentioned by any others in this forum yet though it has been around since 2011 or so... :shock:
Wishing you a Good Day!
Igor The Dane
IdaKraut
Passionate
Passionate

Post by IdaKraut » Wed Mar 19, 2014 20:40

Igor,

Thanks for replying. I was beginning to think no one was interested in this new(er) culture, B-LC-007. I should be able to test my Landjäger in about 5 days. They are drying nicely in their 29/32 mm hog casings, flattened, at 60°F.

In case anyone is interested, B-LC-007 meat culture has a bio-protective effect for production of traditional fermented sausage with a short fermentation time. B-LC-007 is a mixed culture containing Pediococcus acidilactici, Staphylococcus carnosus, Staphylococcus xylosus, Lactobacillus sakei and Pediococcus pentosaceus. P. acidilactici is responsible for reducing Listeria monocytogenes in fermented sausage. The strain produces pediocin which is a bacterocin with strong antagonistic properties against Listeria. L. sakei and P. pentosaceus result in a fast pH decline and S. carnosus and S. xylosus helps produce a strong and stable color and an aromatic flavor. The yeast Debaryomyces hansenii adds to the flavor development. B-LC-007 is well-suited for all fermented sausages with a short production time. The final pH may be regulated by adjusting the amount of fermentable sugars added to the meat mince. Recommended fermentation temperature is 20-24°C (68-75°F) for at least 24 hours.

As for the "Smooth Acid Blend", the company that makes it responded and has provided me with a price list. I'm not sure I can post this on this forum. I will await Barry's (CW) reply. They also have a line of collagen casings which I am not too interested in but may be for others. My pepperoni test was OK but I have yet to find a decent recipe that I would consider putting on any of my pizzas. How about it, anyone out there have a great pepperoni recipe that produces a great pizza-worthy product??
Rudy
IdaKraut
Passionate
Passionate

Post by IdaKraut » Fri Mar 21, 2014 21:32

If anyone is interested in the contact and pricing info for the "Smooth Acid Blend" PM me and I will provide it. Unfortunately Chuckwagon is not feeling well and has not replied if I can post this on the open forum.
Rudy
IdaKraut
Passionate
Passionate

Post by IdaKraut » Sun Mar 23, 2014 18:48

Landjäger test is done. After drying for 8 days they have lost 38% weight and just the right texture. Here is a picture of some:

Image[/img]

I checked the pH today and the ones with only B-LC-007 are at 5.17 and the T-SPX with GDL are 4.96.

Final verdict: They are both good. I prefer the B-LC-007 ones since they are very mildly acidic whereas the T-SPX with GDL are more pronounced. I doubt I will add GDL again in the future since it added to much acid flavor. I still think B-LC-007 is slightly better tasting than T-SPX alone however. Since B-LC-007 culture costs more than T-SPX, I think I will stick with the T-SPX for now unless the cost for the former is the same or lower.

As for the "Smooth Acid Blend" in my test pepperoni: I left the sausage to dry at 60°F and 50% humidity for 8 days and it now shows a pH of 5.15 and the flavor has improved greatly. I honestly can not tell it from a fermented sausage using starter cultures such as FLC. It's definitely a keeper and much better than ECA and puts Fermento to shame.
Rudy
LOUSANTELLO
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by LOUSANTELLO » Wed Jan 13, 2016 13:55

Your last comment was 1g per kilo. That's how I got to 28.5 grams of B-LC-007. or should I use .222 per kilo like the package says (6.33 grams)
LOUSANTELLO
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by LOUSANTELLO » Wed Jan 13, 2016 14:00

Lou-
Redzed had this to say about 007 and I pretty much use the same amount with TSPX.

redzed wrote:
Bactoferm B-LC-007starter culture - 1g. (.66g per kg is the recommended amount, but it's better to use a bit more in a small batch)

Package suggests 6.33 grams. Based on redzed, it's 28.5 grams. Based on .66, it's 18.81. Which one is it?
Last edited by LOUSANTELLO on Wed Jan 13, 2016 14:08, edited 1 time in total.
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Wed Jan 13, 2016 14:06

The 1 gram per kilo is geared towards smaller batches where you may not get enough viable culture in a smaller amount.

Never having done a batch as large as you are attempting, I cant speak from experience, but one 25 gram packet would be more than enough for what you are doing.

On the other hand the larger amount will not hurt, but it may ferment faster than expected.
LOUSANTELLO
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by LOUSANTELLO » Wed Jan 13, 2016 14:11

Ok
redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Jan 13, 2016 19:11

Lou, your calculations are absolutely correct. I erred in the amount I gave in the last recipe that I posted and will correct it. In reality I used a rounded 1/2 teaspoon for the 3kg batch I made. Thanks for pointing that out and sorry for the confusion.

Here are the instructions for the culture from craft butchers pantry:

Bactoferm™ B-LC-007

Bactoferm™ B-LC-007 is a patented culture blend capable of acidification as well as preventing growth of Listeria. The culture produces pediocin and bavaricin (think of them like a kind of "antibiotics") that keeps Listeria monocytogenes at safe levels by the additional hurdle thrown at it.

It is recommended to use this culture at low fermentation temperatures between 64-75°F for the production of European style products with very low acid profiles.

This culture makes T-SPX obsolete due to all the additional beneficial strains that come with it. You want the added yeast and both cocci strains for flavor development predominantly, and this blend has it all. Because the fermentation temperature is low as well we suggest this culture is a game changer by offering so much more than T-SPX. This blend offers added Listeria protection, where T-SPX does not. Both forms of cocci bacteria work together in developing the characteristic flavors of fermented sausages, while also reducing the residual amount of nitrite in your product due to their secretion of enzymes that cause the reduction of the residual nitrite in the sausage. So you end up consuming less in the final product than using a culture blend with these beneficial bacteria.

B-LC-007 is truly a superior culture to use for low temperature fermentation.

This blend contains:

Debaryomyces hansenii - a yeast which inhibits rancidity, is lipolytic, suppresses acidity (tang), and for flavor development
Lactobacillus sakei - produces lactic acid, produce bacterocins, and aids in the prevention of Listeria
Pediococcus Acidilactici - produces lactic acid, produce bacterocins, and aids in the prevention of Listeria
Pediococcus pentosaceus - is lactic acid producing, and proteolytic
Staphylococcus carnosus - develops flavor, improves color stability, proteolytic, lipolytic, tests positive for nitrate reductase activity
Staphylococcus xylosus - develops flavor, improves color stability, proteolytic, lipolytic, tests positive for nitrate reductase activity

Sold in a 50g bag which is enough to ferment 495# of meat.

Use 0.022% the weight of the meat. Meaning, measure your meat in grams, then multiply the weight of your meat by 0.00022. This number is the proper amount of culture to add to you meat.

To disperse evenly we recommend hydrating the culture for 25 minutes in 60 mL of distilled water. For every 5# of meat use 30mL of distilled water to hydrate and disperse the culture. It is best to add the culture when spiced meat is in chunks, mix around, then grind to desired particle size. Mix evenly after grinding.

Storage:

Always store your cultures below 1°F for a shelf life of 18 months. If stored above 41°F the shelf life is 6 weeks.
harleykids
Passionate
Passionate

Post by harleykids » Wed Jan 20, 2016 03:49

I use the B-LC-007 as well for my sopressatta and it turned out fantastic.
Craft Butcher Pantry says to use 0.22% culture (meat weight X 0.0022) which is the ratio I use.

So for 10lbs that would be 9.98g of -007 culture added to your 35ml of room temp distiller water to bloom for an hour or so. Then add that 35ml of bloomed culture solution to 35ml of additional distilled water per kilo of additional meat weight.

Craft Buther Pantry says that over inoculating with -007 will have an adverse affect on final product flavor. They said that from their experience, so I am assuming over innoculating is not good.

I know many folks over inoculate, but they told me to follow the mfg's recommended dosage or it would affect the final flavor of the finished product.

Just what they told me....use as you wish!
redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Jan 20, 2016 06:36

harleykids wrote:I use the B-LC-007 as well for my sopressatta and it turned out fantastic.
Craft Butcher Pantry says to use 0.22% culture (meat weight X 0.0022) which is the ratio I use.

So for 10lbs that would be 9.98g of -007 culture
Justin if you actually added 9.98g of culture than you added 10 times the recommended amount. 10lbs is 4535.9237g X .00022 = .99g
harleykids wrote:Craft Buther Pantry says that over inoculating with -007 will have an adverse affect on final product flavor. They said that from their experience, so I am assuming over innoculating is not good.
That statement counters what all the other meat science books and journals teach, which is that you cannot over inoculate. The amount of lactic acid produced is dependent on the amount of sugar not the amount of culture. And further to that, a higher amount of culture will not increase the speed of the acidification, only the temperature will. So I wonder what makes B-LC-007 so different in that respect.
LOUSANTELLO wrote:I noticed the bottom row especially has a very tacky feel on the outside of the casings. Almost kind of lardy feeling. I flipped the top and bottom rows this morning. I also think they are more mushy in the last 3-4 days than they were at 26 hours of fermentation. Ph is still under 5.0. Is this all normal? I am running at 53F and 77-79% RH. Avergae weight loss is about 10%. Soppressata was made 6 days ago with 26 hours fermentation.

I don't think you have anything to worry about. Just leave them alone for a week and weigh again. Are they getting some ventillation?
harleykids
Passionate
Passionate

Post by harleykids » Wed Jan 20, 2016 06:59

Thanks RedZed, you are right, I forgot to add a zero to my post, should have been 0.00022 x meat weight, for .99g, you are correct.
That scared me, so I just looked at my log book and I added 1g in my notes, so thankfully I am good to go! Teaches me not to post from memory! I keep a very detailed logbook, so I can always refer back.

I also tried to pull up the Craft Butcher Pantry website, where the over innoculating statement is located, but they are apparently relocating their business to Chicago, so their site is not accessible until late January. When their site comes online again I will include a link to that narrative.