Texel DCM-1 % Percentage

harleykids
Passionate
Passionate

Texel DCM-1 % Percentage

Post by harleykids » Wed Jan 20, 2016 17:35

RedZed,

I found the email finally.

What % of Texel did you use in your whole muscle meats?
I was told the below, just want to make sure it is correct.

thanks!
Jason

0.050%, or 0.00050 in decimal form, is your Texel amount to add.

Get this math correct or you will end up with WAY too much Texel.
More is NOT better in this case.
The proteolytic enzymes secreted by the bacteria will completely break down the meat, and give you a terrible flavor if you use too much.

Texel is added to the salt and cure; you can add spices too if you want.
You can use Potassium Nitrate as well, if you`d like. It matters not...

For B-LC-007, use at 0.022% (0.00022)
Again, more is not better. Over use can affect texture/taste of final product.
redzed

Post by redzed » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:20

I used the recommended amounts in my meats. But it is interesting what the email said about being careful not to overdose. I respect what Evan Brady says, as he is one of the best students of fermenting and dry curing there is. And he always bases everything on science and not on what someone might have heard from their Italian grandmother. So now I'm intrigued and will need to do some homework. I suspect it might have something to do with the Staphylococcus strains found in both starters, but will find out and post here. Hopefully Igor Duńczyk can help us out here as well.
harleykids
Passionate
Passionate

Post by harleykids » Thu Jan 21, 2016 16:56

I am excited to see how your Texel coppa, bresoala, etc turns out!

Since you have done many non-Texel products over the years, it will be interesting to see how they compare in color, taste, aroma, and texture.

That is what I really am interested in....does the Texel add a tangible difference to the end product, and does it make the final product better tasting, smelling, and looking.

What's your estimate on when your first Texel inoculated product will be ready to try?

I may try curing a Lonzino this weekend an use my Texel on it just for fun.

Thanks RedZed!
LOUSANTELLO
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Re: Texel DCM-1 % Percentage

Post by LOUSANTELLO » Mon Jan 18, 2021 14:38

Even though DCM-1 suggests that it's not a ph reducer, and I've heard you can definitely use it on ground products also, I gave it a shot using some wine and dextrose, and sure enough the PH dropped below 5.3 in 30 hours. I have attempted to drop the PH in soppressata's using dextrose and wine only. In almost every case, the PH barely makes it to 5.3 in 3-5 days if I'm lucky,,,,so I have to assume the DCM-1 is reducing the PH, even though they claim it's a color enhancer and not a PH reducer
StefanS
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Texel DCM-1 % Percentage

Post by StefanS » Mon Jan 18, 2021 15:22

Lou - check it out - viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8205&start=105#p43683 - im in process of experiment and one of salamis are with Texel DCM 1 only.