A Question That Was Asked On Another Forum

Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

A Question That Was Asked On Another Forum

Post by Devo » Tue Feb 09, 2016 13:12

OK guys & girls

I was going through some posts on another forum and came across this fellows question. I read through the answers but somehow they still left me wondering. So here is his question. Please give me your thoughts on this.

I was reading the bacon section of "Home Production of Quality Meats and Sausages" by the Marianski bros. On page 516 of my book it says
"Because of problems associated with nitrosamine formation in bacon Nitrate is no longer permitted in any curing method for bacon. Only sodium nitrite(cure 1) is allowed at 120 ppm maximum level. Nitrate can still be used to cure other meat products."

Now with that being said, is TQ safe for curing bacon considering it contains both nitrite and nitrate?
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Tue Feb 09, 2016 14:19

The FDA states - Nitrate is no longer permitted in any curing method for bacon.

So to be completely safe don't use Tender Quick for Bacon.
Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Devo » Tue Feb 09, 2016 14:31

Thanks Bob
Would you have a link for that? I would like to review it.
Thanks
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Tue Feb 09, 2016 16:40

Here You go Don. Bacon starts on page 27.

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/OPPDE/rdad/FSI ... 7620-3.pdf

Not sure of a link for Canadian regs
Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Devo » Tue Feb 09, 2016 16:56

Thanks Bob, I also found this and it is a interesting read. Gets into the bacon around page 50

http://lib.dr.iastate.edu/cgi/viewconte ... ontext=rtd
redzed

Post by redzed » Tue Feb 09, 2016 19:22

Canadian regs for curing side pork (belly) are the same as US. 120ppm ingoing nitrite only.
http://www.inspection.gc.ca/food/meat-a ... 0525354148

However, this does not apply if you make a slow cured/dried product such as pancetta.

Morton's Tenderquick has been the staple curing salt for generations and the regs apply only to commercial production. My wife's parents and grandparents used it all the time in making bacon and hams on their Saskatchewan farm. There are countless recipes out there for sausages and whole muscle cuts cured with TQ and people continue to do things the same way as their grandparents did. I personally don't use it, but if you give it time to convert the nitrates to nitrites, there is probably no danger in using it.
Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Devo » Tue Feb 09, 2016 19:43

You see thats the part I don't agree with and the debate thats going on at the other forum "well my grandparents and Joe down the street have been using it for ever. Just look at them they are fine." That does not make it right. The guild lines can't be wishy washy like that. Either its OK with the Gov. or its not. They (the government) say no.

And no I don't use tenderquick just for the salt content. Don't like having to adjust the salt in my recipes :)
redzed

Post by redzed » Tue Feb 09, 2016 23:46

I did not imply in my response that I approve of using TQ in curing bacon. But you can use it if you fully understand the process, know the exact amounts on the nitrite/nitrate you need to add to be within the guidelines, and allow time for the nitrate to break down into nitrite. And you need to understand that nitrate reacts at warmer temps than does nitrite. Government regulators prohibit it because commercial processors make their products at a high speed, pumping, smoking, slicing and packaging the bacon all in the course of one day. In the end, making bacon using TQ is not even practical, because nitrate will not cure your meat and give you that pink colour and flavour until it is transformed into nitrite. So using it correctly becomes quite complicated as opposed to using Cure #1 and then adding your own amount of salt.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Wed Feb 10, 2016 00:13

I always add 2 grams of common sense whenever I cure meat.
harleykids
Passionate
Passionate

Post by harleykids » Thu Feb 11, 2016 05:22

kind of an oxymoron... "Hi, I'm from the Government and I am here to help"
Some common sense is required.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Thu Feb 11, 2016 07:25

Yes. Similar to untaxed whiskey will make you blind. :mrgreen: