MATH!

STICKSTRING
Frequent User
Frequent User

MATH!

Post by STICKSTRING » Sun Apr 30, 2017 05:20

Hello all, and thank you ahead of time for your time and knowledge!

I have been having a tough time wrapping my head around the actual mathematical equation in regards to creating a dry cure mix. Please see example below.

Meat - 2000 grams
Cure #1, % Nitrite - 6.25%
Salt % Desired - 2%
Sugar % Desired - 1%
PPM Nitrite Desired - 200

Cure #1 Needed - 6.4 Grams
Salt Needed - 34 Grams
Sugar Needed - 20 Grams

The sugar needed is understandable and straight forward. The amount of salt and cure #1 in regards to the PPM is what confuses me. The reason I ask, to further understand the actual math to ensure a safe future in curing. I am currently using a online calculator although spend weeks on end at our ranch without service and would love to be able to apply my knowledge, do the math and mix up the proper cure.
Thank you!
Nick
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:14

STICKSTRING
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by STICKSTRING » Sun Apr 30, 2017 17:26

Thank you Bob K, when I get home tonight, I will grab a note pad and a pen, and see if I can figure this out! Thank you very much!
LOUSANTELLO
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by LOUSANTELLO » Mon May 01, 2017 11:23

If you give me the recipe you are trying to follow or you know the percentages you want to follow, I can create a spreadsheet for you where all you have to do is input the total meat in grams that you want to make, and it will automatically give you all the ingredient measurements
STICKSTRING
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by STICKSTRING » Mon May 01, 2017 20:09

LOUSANTELLO wrote:If you give me the recipe you are trying to follow or you know the percentages you want to follow, I can create a spreadsheet for you where all you have to do is input the total meat in grams that you want to make, and it will automatically give you all the ingredient measurements
Thank you very much for offering to take the time to make me a spreadsheet. I have spent the last few days studying the math and with the help of Bob K's video I finally have it figured out!

The specific recipe in question was for a equilibrium brine for a Corned Beef. I've double checked my math 10+ times punching same numbers into calculator and every amount came out perfect. So looks like I'm good to go! Thank you all for the help!