Cool Technical Paper I found...on Staph. strains

Indaswamp
Passionate
Passionate

Cool Technical Paper I found...on Staph. strains

Post by Indaswamp » Tue Feb 09, 2021 16:25

http://wpage.unina.it/giamauri/Material ... saburi.pdf

Abstract:
The aim of this study was to determine the technological properties of 2 strains ofStaphylococcus simulans(Ssm12, Ssm21) and 4strains ofS. carnosus(SC28, SC31, SC54 and SC55) for the selection of a potential starter cultures to employ in the processing of dryfermented sausages. The strains were studied to evaluate nitrate reductase, proteolytic, lipolytic, decarboxylase and antioxidantactivities as well as growth ability at different temperatures, pH and NaCl concentrations. Nitrate reductase activity was determinedat 15, 20 and 30°C. By spectrophotometric method all the strains were able to reduce nitrate to nitrite at the different temperaturesbut these results were not confirmed by the agar plate method. Antioxidant and lipolytic activities were evaluated by spectropho-tometric assay. All the strains showed antioxidative enzymes superoxide dismutase (SOD) and catalase whereas all appeared unableto hydrolyse pork fat. Proteolytic activity was determined by agar plate method, spectrophotometric assay (OPA) and sodium dode-cyl sulphate gel-electrophoresis (SDS–PAGE) and all strains appeared to be able to hydrolyse sarcoplasmic proteins but not myo-fibrillar proteins. Finally, all the strains grew at 15 and 20°C, in presence of 10%, 15% and 20% of NaCl and at pH 5.0 and 5.5 andwere unable to produce histamine, cadaverine and putrescine. The results showed that all strains studied possess useful technologicalactivities that would make them eligible as a good starter cultures for fermented sausages.Ó2005 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved
redzed

Re: Cool Technical Paper I found...on Staph. strains

Post by redzed » Wed Feb 10, 2021 19:36

A lot has been done in developing S. carnosus strains in starter cultures since that paper has been published. One area has been to develop starter where the gram-positive bacteria will grow at temperatures lower than 10C. The paper you cited tested the bacteria in the 15 - 30C range. Chr. Hansen claims that the S. Carnosus strain in the Flora Italia starter grows at colder temps but so far I have not seen any actual data to confirm this and what that temp is. Anyone drying in Umai casings should look at that paper and ask whether it makes sense to use Cure #2 when drying salami in a refrigerator running at 4 - 6C.