Pyrex bacon press

el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Pyrex bacon press

Post by el Ducko » Wed Jun 20, 2012 14:46

All this talk of bacon is making me hungry! :razz:

The Corning people used to make a round Pyrex piece of glass with a bakelite handle, used for holding bacon flat in the pan while it cooks. It was great because you could see through it and easily know when to turn the bacon.

We have one from the 60's, but I haven't seen one for sale in years. Now, our daughters have their own households and would both like to have one. We've been on the lookout for 'em in resale shops, but so far, no luck.

Does anyone know where I might find one? :cool:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
IdaKraut
Passionate
Passionate

Post by IdaKraut » Wed Jun 20, 2012 15:46

I found several on Ebay as well as Amazon although the reviews are not good. Negatives include reports of glass breakage within a short time frame.
Rudy
NorCal Kid
Passionate
Passionate

Post by NorCal Kid » Wed Jun 20, 2012 16:12

I picked up this "Pig Squisher" from Amazon. i like it because it fits my cast iron skillet, is made of cast iron as well (heavy!), and because it conducts heat, cooks bacon in about half the time. flat & crisp. But one does need to keep an eye on what you're cooking! wooden handle stays nice & cool to the touch. great for quesadillas and grilled cheese too!

Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. — Hebrews 13:8
Maxell

Post by Maxell » Wed Jun 20, 2012 16:57

If you can, paste more pictures.
Pod ten adres proszę przesyłać zdjęcia i teksty. Zdjęcia muszą posiadać szerokość co najmniej 800 pikseli - wysokość nie jest istotna - ważne by były dobrej jakości.
maxell11@wp.pl
JerBear
Passionate
Passionate

Post by JerBear » Wed Jun 20, 2012 20:54

Instead of frying the bacon I try cooking it on baking/cooling racks over a sheet tray in a 350-400ºF oven. It's much less likely to burn, you can cook loads more in a single run, less direct attention is needed and the drippings are nicer (less burned bits) for recycling into other dishes.
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Thu Jun 21, 2012 02:45

IdaKraut wrote:Negatives include reports of glass breakage within a short time frame.
Maybe we're lucky. Ours still works fine, 43+ years later. (It was a wedding gift.) Of course, we always set it on a paper towel to cool down before wiping/washing. Sticking it directly into the sink is a really bad idea. In fact, in our family, sticking ANYTHING directly into the sink is a bad idea. (Maybe that's why the marriage is still working fine too. :mrgreen: )

Oh well. ...yet another reason to invent a time machine. The good ol' days weren't so good, especially in the '60s, but they WERE quite tasty. (I have the bacon grease burns to prove it.)

Now then, Kiddies, did I ever tell you about the days when the price of a chili dog at the airport went up to $2.40, but you could still taste it for 24 hours? ...still the best bargain in America, at ten cents an hour. :lol: In those days, WMDs meant hot dogs, and stood for Weiner Meat Delivery systems.

[How did I get off on THAT tangent?] :roll:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
Tatoosh
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Tatoosh » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:50

I have a lot of stainless steel pot lids in my kitchen that are flat on the bottom (no lip extending down). Those times I don't do my bacon in the oven, I grab one of the lids and use it as cheap and handy bacon press. Seems to work fine.
Mabuhay Pizza & BBQ! Weber 22.5 OTG - Smokenator 1000 - Pizza Kettle