What kind of meat grinder does everyone have?

Gulyás
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Gulyás » Thu Jan 17, 2013 21:30

Hello.

It's hard to make good pictures in the basement with the flesh, but I tried, and here are my grinders.

The biggest one is my newest, what I had to remodel completely, look at the shiny holes if you can see it... :mrgreen:

Look at it as upgrading from the past to present.
Failure to prepare is preparing to fail.
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Fri Jan 18, 2013 01:08

Gulyas, you have a grinder museum! Good stuff! I imagine a lot of love coming through those grinders over the years. :mrgreen:

You mentioned that you did some modifications.... I have a stainless steel grinder plate that is a little too small in the center hole. Any suggestions for enlarging it? I have access to a drill press - what kind of bit would I need?

Thanks,
Jeff
Gulyás
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Gulyás » Fri Jan 18, 2013 04:56

Hi Jeff.

Concrete drills come in different sizes, I used a 4 flute ball end milling cutter.
On the left are 4 carbide inserted drills, 1 solid one. On the right is a ball end milling cutter.
Use slow rpm, with continued pressure, oil the drill well.
At the bottom you'll have heavy burr, stone or hone it.

So far the sausages were good no matter which grinder I used. :mrgreen:

Ps.....I like my newest all stainless steel grinder, size 22, with the so called big bite screw, 1 and 1/2 hp. Of course after I made the plates and knife flat.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My new all stainless grinder does rust. Looks very nice, mirror polished, magnet doesn't hold it...... :sad:
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Fri Jan 18, 2013 08:34

Thanks Gulyas!

That new grinder of yours is a monster. Don't fall in!

These bits you are talking about....they seem rather specialized. Not something I can get at Home Depot. Or am I wrong?
Gulyás
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Gulyás » Fri Jan 18, 2013 13:05

Hi Jeff.

Home Depot sell them too, or any hardware store.
They are carbide tipped, but they are called many different names. Maybe better known as masonry drill bits......
At Lowe's they are named just rotary bits.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_300304-353-9311 ... facetInfo=

Ps......Carbide is made in many different grades, should be "good-enough" just to open up a hole, I used it many times for that. Better grades, like the milling cutter is much more expensive. They work fine in hammer drills too.
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Fri Jan 18, 2013 19:34

Hi Gulyas - thanks for all this good info, with even pictures and links. I never knew that masonry bits could be used for metal. I learn something new every day!

Cheers,
Jeff
sausagemaneric
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by sausagemaneric » Sun Jan 20, 2013 06:21

I have been using a # 10 from the Sausagemaker that is a Polish made unit. Very high quality, bought it like 20 years ago for $300.00-ish. Just bought a Cabella's # 22 and the meat mixer to go along with it. I have 15# Dick type stuffer. I used to make between 1000-2000lbs a year and sell it to my buddies at work. Now I still make 100 lbs at time every few months. Can't wait to use the new one with the mixer!
V465
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Sun Jan 20, 2013 20:08

sausagemaneric wrote:I have been using a # 10 from the Sausagemaker that is a Polish made unit. Very high quality, bought it like 20 years ago for $300.00-ish. Just bought a Cabella's # 22 and the meat mixer to go along with it. I have 15# Dick type stuffer. I used to make between 1000-2000lbs a year and sell it to my buddies at work. Now I still make 100 lbs at time every few months. Can't wait to use the new one with the mixer!
My guess is that you'll be pretty happy with that set-up. The only negative comments I heard when researching the large mixer attached to the grinder was that it wasn't made for small batches, wouldn't seem to apply to you. Good luck and tell us things work out. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
Gray Goat
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Gray Goat » Sun Jan 20, 2013 20:09

Chuckwagon wrote:Image
I use an industrial meat grinder on wheels. It's powered by a Chev 427 with
headers, high rise manifold, with three dueces. It's very quick! :mrgreen:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Wow, I can't wait to see your stuffer :lol: :lol:

I use a Cabelas #8.

sausagemaneric
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by sausagemaneric » Sun Jan 20, 2013 23:41

I actually bought a tilting, 25# LEM mixer. I went with the 25# model for the very reason you mentioned. I am taking a gamble that the Cabella's grinder will mate up to it. I did a fair amount of research and found that the "drive" or the shaft that Cabella's motor and the drive on the LEM motor is the same. I think it will come down to the height regarding the drive and whether the base of the grinder will need to slide under the mixer. I am sure one way or another my Okie-ness will get it hooked up. I can't wait to get some "skeeeeels" (skills) and learn to post some pictures.
V465