What kind of meat grinder does everyone have?

Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Mon Jan 14, 2013 23:46

ssorllih wrote:I often wonder what people do with so much sausage as they make here.
Ross - I've got 7 kids. Does that answer your question? :grin:

One of them just im'd me - Daddy, are there any snack sticks left?
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Jan 14, 2013 23:49

That helps to explain a lot. Thanks.
Ross- tightwad home cook
oops1215
Beginner
Beginner

Post by oops1215 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 00:19

I have an old Hobart! This things a work horse and plates and knives are readily available.

Image[/img]
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Jan 15, 2013 01:13

That would be very easy to keep clean.
Ross- tightwad home cook
NorCal Kid
Passionate
Passionate

Post by NorCal Kid » Tue Jan 15, 2013 02:46

ssorllih wrote:I often wonder what people do with so much sausage as they make here.
Ross, when I first started making sausages, I soon discovered that whatever amount I made (started with 3-5 pound batches) quickly disappeared. My three sons plow through whatever I've make so quickly that I've stopped vac-sealing most of what I produce.

My new minimum is 10 pounds. I've also requests from a number of folks in our congregation that are now on my list of 'to-do's-everything from braunschweiger to kielbasa.

Kevin
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. — Hebrews 13:8
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Wed Jan 16, 2013 00:11

ssorllih wrote:
"I often wonder what people do with so much sausage as they make here."

I like to be able to bring something to a social function that'll feed a crowd if need be, and not be a burden on my wallet. I have found, as I'm sure most of us have, that our homemade sausage is greatly appreciated by our friends and family. More than once a service call has been made to my house and when a guy sees my mounted wild hogs on the garage wall it instigates some conversation that will lead to me walking over to my freezers and getting a couple of packs of sausage for the fellow to take home. Some sausage that I paid 99≠ a pound for the pork butt can wind up saving me hundreds on a bill, a bit of good will can go a long way.

I do 10lb batches of sausage to test new recipes, and usually like to do 25 pounds at a crack with something that's been road-tested before. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
JerBear
Passionate
Passionate

Post by JerBear » Wed Jan 16, 2013 07:54

Using a 3/4 HP #12 Tor Rey
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Wed Jan 16, 2013 19:41

Could we share similar information on stuffers?

Based on a couple of Ross's notes, I use a home-built "Russ-n-Ross Ramrod" stuffer based on 2" PVC pipe and fittings, squeezed by an oversize caulk gun. It works for small volumes of sausage (2 kg or so), has very little 'heel' left after use, and cleans up in the dishwasher. However, for more than a 2-kilo batch, I wouldn't recommend it.

I bought a 5 lb. horn stuffer from Sears. Chill this guy down and it STAYS chilled. However, it leaves about a two pound heel, which is not good. I'm considering using it for a boat anchor, this spring.

I currently use my grinder with stuffing attachment for larger batches. I need a foot switch, according to what I've read. Yet, others recommend NOT using a grinder for stuffing. I'd love to hear the pros and cons.

Many people seem to like the 5# and larger vertical stuffers (hopefully with metal gears). (LEM and the like...) What do you guys recommend? Are there any reasonably priced options?

...and there are several plans floating around the internet for hydraulically boosted PVC stuffers. Has anyone used one? What recommendations...?

As always, thanks for sharing.
:mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Jan 16, 2013 20:05

The basic problem with using a grinder for stuffing is the lack of positive displacement in the feed auger. I made a cheese press for my sister that could be used as a make shift stuffer. ImageThis is a 3 inch diameter cylinder9 inches long. The mechanicals could easily handle a 5 inch cylinder.
Ross- tightwad home cook
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Wed Jan 16, 2013 20:45

Grinder:

Stuffer:

The on / off foot-pedal makes it a hands-free operation that one person is all it takes. Both work perfectly every time. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
Big Guy
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Big Guy » Wed Jan 16, 2013 21:33

I have two, my main grinder at my main house is an old Toledo

my second grinder at the winter house is a #12 Kitchener

Col. Big Guy
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Jan 17, 2013 02:23

I use an industrial meat grinder on wheels. It's powered by a Chev 427 with
headers, high rise manifold, with three dueces. It's very quick! :mrgreen:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Jan 17, 2013 02:58

How does it work for emulsifying?
Ross- tightwad home cook
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Thu Jan 17, 2013 03:35

Looks like you're making your world-renown high fiber recipe. That, or your ex is missing some of her prized furniture about now. Oh! Sorry! I wasn't supposed to... uh...

...wonder what the "brown gargle" machine looks like. ...and does it have espresso + cappuccino buttons? Man, these modern day chuck wagon rigs are all integrated with text messaging and foot massaging and barristas named "Bunny." I tell ya, it jes' ain't the same.

but maybe that's good.
:mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Thu Jan 17, 2013 06:30

Chuckwagon wrote:Image
I use an industrial meat grinder on wheels. It's powered by a Chev 427 with
headers, high rise manifold, with three dueces. It's very quick! :mrgreen:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Would the three dueces be Stromberg 97's?