The Stork Arrived!

Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Wed Feb 27, 2013 02:09

sawhorseray wrote:Sprayed some Pam on my hi-temp gloves
Ray - that's a good idea. It's got to help getting the meat off the gloves -- any tips for getting the gloves off the hands? I don't think mine are too small, but I have a whale of a time getting the things off when I'm done hand mixing.

Jeff
CrankyBuzzard
Passionate
Passionate

Post by CrankyBuzzard » Wed Feb 27, 2013 02:14

Cabonaia wrote:
sawhorseray wrote:Sprayed some Pam on my hi-temp gloves
Ray - that's a good idea. It's got to help getting the meat off the gloves -- any tips for getting the gloves off the hands? I don't think mine are too small, but I have a whale of a time getting the things off when I'm done hand mixing.

Jeff
Bribe someone else in the house to help is the best thing I've found!

If thAt doesn't work, or you're alone in the home, good luck!

Charlie
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Feb 27, 2013 03:01

One more trick Ray! Toss your plastic stuffing tubes and get some stainless steel without the taper.
I'm really glad you finally ditched the old S-L-O-W method of stuffing from the grinder. I can't imagine the patience it took to make sausage that way. I would have gone nuts trying to stuff meat into casing that way. Shucks, I'd have finally jumped up on the kitchen table, cursed a blue streak, drawn both hoglegs and fired a dozen rounds through the ceiling. The sausage police would have had to take me away in a straightjacket, dragging my stinky ol' carcass across the floor, out the door, and into the back of their truck! :shock:

Ray, remember as you use a motorized grinder that if the blades of your grinder are adjusted correctly, there will be just the slighted "load" on the motor. The knives edges must contact the platen to make a clean cut. If it does not have slight pressure pressed against it, you can get a mushy cut of meat. My point? ...if there is pressure against the platen, there is friction. If there is friction, there is heat. If there is heat, there is smearing. If there is smearing, there is bad language and inappropriate behavior! So, don't allow the grinder to operate without having 'cold' meat lubricating the cutting edges. If you're not using the grinder, turn the danged thing off. Use some soft ice chips in cold water to cool things down occasionally, but never grind hard-frozen ice cubes.

When you cut inch chunks to put into the grinder, cut across the grain as much as possible. In other words don't put longs 'strands' of meat through the hopper. Collagen and sinew will begin to wrap around the auger just behind the blade. It will slow down the operation and won't allow the knives to make a "clean" cut.

Lastly, it just makes good sense to put the platen, grinder cutting knife, and auger, into the freezer for 15 minutes just before you start grinding. And for goodness sakes, don't miss a chance to refrigerate the meat at every opportunity during the sausage making process. Never let is sit out on the counter, even if it's going to be "just for a minute".

Okay Ray, eat your broccoli, grit yer' teeth, and ignore the arthritis - make sausage and enjoy it! How about a photo of you wrestlin' with that new machine? Hang in there pal.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Wed Feb 27, 2013 05:47

CrankyBuzzard wrote:Bribe someone else in the house to help is the best thing I've found!

If thAt doesn't work, or you're alone in the home, good luck!
Hey Charlie - maybe I should just go to bed with them on. I might get some help from my wife at that point. Or not!

Regards,
Jeff
Aspiring Member, Blue Man Act (hands brigade)
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Feb 27, 2013 07:17

Cabonaia wrote:
any tips for getting the gloves off the hands? I don't think mine are too small, but I have a whale of a time getting the things off when I'm done hand mixing.
Jeff, lay out your gloves on the table. Wipe your hands with a towel then "dust" your hands with a little cornstarch. Rub the powder all over your hands then wipe them with the towel again. Slip on the gloves and go to work. When you're done, they should come right off. Simply rinse your hands and you're back in business. :wink:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Wed Feb 27, 2013 08:15

Beautiful. Thanks Chuckwagon!

Jeff
orf
User
User

Post by orf » Wed Feb 27, 2013 14:50

hey sawhorsey,instead of climbing up on that step ladder, why don't ya just put the stuffer on a chair? If ya can't raise the bridge, lower the river.orf...
there are no stupid questions but some of mine come pretty close
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Wed Feb 27, 2013 17:22

orf wrote:hey sawhorsey,instead of climbing up on that step ladder, why don't ya just put the stuffer on a chair? If ya can't raise the bridge, lower the river.orf...
This way when little bits and pieces fall they fall into the sink. When things fall onto the floor I'm expected to pick them up. My greatest challenge every day for the last 6-7 years has been putting on my socks. Time to start looking for some SS stuffing tubes! RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Thu Feb 28, 2013 02:07

Chuckwagon wrote: Toss your plastic stuffing tubes and get some stainless steel without the taper.
I also never realized in the beginning that SS steel stuffing tubes were not tapered until I bought some. Investing in a set makes it a lot easier to get the casings on.
Ron
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 09:06

Bubba,
Soak your casings in water with some baking soda added. They get real slippery, easy to feed on the filling tube, less knots and fly off at great speed when filling.
Good Luck,
Jan.
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:11

crustyo44 wrote:Soak your casings in water with some baking soda added. They get real slippery, easy to feed on the filling tube, less knots and fly off at great speed when filling.
Thank you Jan,
I did not know that and will most certainly try it. What ratio of baking soda to water do you use?

Ron
Ron