The Amazen Smoker

el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Sun Apr 14, 2013 22:22

Oh, Man! I gotta try those. As top notch is the amazin' photography is, the hot links are fantastic! (...as I'm sure your kielbasa is, too.)

So, okay, I guess I gotta buy an Amazin' gadget too. My homebuilt chip ruig can't generate that length of smoke, even refilling every hour or two. (Just out of curiosity, how long CAN you go between recharges?)

...and again, congratulations on both presentation and recipe. "You da best!"
:mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
NorCal Kid
Passionate
Passionate

Post by NorCal Kid » Sun Apr 14, 2013 23:16

el Ducko wrote:So, okay, I guess I gotta buy an Amazin' gadget too. My homebuilt chip ruig can't generate that length of smoke, even refilling every hour or two. (Just out of curiosity, how long CAN you go between recharges?)
Thanks, Ducko! I filled my tube smoker only 2/3rds full of pellets and got about 4-4.5 hours of solid smoke from it. According to the Amazen owner, Todd, you can get 6+ hours on a full tube (18" tube.).

I used a full tube of pellets when I recently did pulled pork and even after 6 hours it was still burning. :grin:

Here it is about 2.5 hours into the pulled pork smoke...

Kevin
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. — Hebrews 13:8
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Apr 15, 2013 05:41

Beautiful work Pastor. Just beautiful! As usual. :wink:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:59

Looks awesome Kevin, I wish sometimes I could eat my PC screen!
In particular I'm interested in the Mexi-Cali Hot Links, that is a recipe I will try soon.

Your photos along with presentation are always amazing!
Ron
Blackriver
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Blackriver » Tue Apr 16, 2013 15:13

Thanks for posting the Mexican link recipe I am going to try that one. I always enjoy your wonderful pictures!
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Wed Apr 17, 2013 16:07

NorCal Kid wrote:...an Amazin' gadget
Thanks, Ducko! I filled my tube smoker only 2/3rds full of pellets and got about 4-4.5 hours of solid smoke from it. According to the Amazen owner, Todd, you can get 6+ hours on a full tube (18" tube).
Kevin
You folks with Amazin' smoke generators and the like: is it the gadget, or is it the sawdust (as opposed to wood chips or bigger) that enables the smoke to be produced for so long at such a controlled rate? If I used sawdust in my home-built hot plate rig, could I expect the same duration of smoke?

Right now, I use "store bought" chips in a tray like those gas grill accessories, on a hot plate in an enclosed bucket, with an aquarium air pump-propelled drain pipe to conduct the smoke to the smoker cabinet. Maybe my hot plate is too hot because I can only get about two hours max out of a couple of hands-ful. I haven't tried sawdust yet.
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
NorCal Kid
Passionate
Passionate

Post by NorCal Kid » Wed Apr 17, 2013 19:15

el Ducko wrote:You folks with Amazin' smoke generators and the like: is it the gadget, or is it the sawdust (as opposed to wood chips or bigger) that enables the smoke to be produced for so long at such a controlled rate? If I used sawdust in my home-built hot plate rig, could I expect the same duration of smoke?
Ducko, I've found that my own sawdust doesnt burn as long nor as consistent as the finer dust & pellets I get for my A-maze-n smokers.

In my smoker (the big box Masterbuilt XL propane), I've used all three of the A-maze-n smoker items: the AMNS (dust smoker), the AMNPS (pellet smoker), and the newest model AMNTS (tube smoker). Each has it's advantages. All generate very little HEAT-so they're all suited for cold smoking as well. The dust smoker can last up to eight hours & produces a steady stream of light to medium smoke. Unlike regular sawdust, the A-maze-n dust is much finer and burns longer and more constant. It also comes in a wide variety of wood varieties or 'flavors.' On the downside, it is harder to keep lit in my particular smoker. The MB XL is a big box with poor airflow and the AMNS gets oxygen-starved and is quickly extinguished. At higher temps (225°F) the dust will burn much, much faster than the pellets.

The Pellet maze (AMNPS) burns longer (uo to 10 hours) than the dust smoker, is less likely to go out than the dust smoker-but still requires some baby-sitting initially to make sure it stays lit. Location is critical (near the intake for airflow) for this smoker is shine. Once I find the magic spot, however, this smoker burns/smokes a LONG time. Somewhat heavier smoke than the dust. Variety of pellets available too.

The Tube smoker is my new favorite. On a full load of pellets, I get a moderately heavy stream of smoke for over 6 hours (18" model). Set & forget! It is less susceptible to oxygen deprivation than the other two smokers and burns easily. Much easier than any homemade sawdust burner I've used in the past.

Hope some of this info is helpful to you.

Kevin
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Wed Apr 17, 2013 19:58

NorCal Kid wrote:The Tube smoker is my new favorite. On a full load of pellets, I get a moderately heavy stream of smoke for over 6 hours (18" model). Set & forget! It is less susceptible to oxygen deprivation than the other two smokers and burns easily. Much easier than any homemade sawdust burner I've used in the past.
Kevin, you've sold me. I'll order one as soon as I can get out of cash deprivation. ...depravity. ...whatever.

What's scary is listening to the description of "pressure cooker bombs" on the news regarding the Boston Marathon. It sounds a little like they're describing a homemade smoker rig! ...think I'd better do something else. ...like the Amazin'. ...only downside I see is that it looks like you get locked in on their pellets or dust or whatever.

Is that true?
NorCal Kid
Passionate
Passionate

Post by NorCal Kid » Wed Apr 17, 2013 20:21

el Ducko wrote:
NorCal Kid wrote:...think I'd better do something else. ...like the Amazin'. ...only downside I see is that it looks like you get locked in on their pellets or dust or whatever.

Is that true?
Unlike the Bradley smoker-where you're forced to use their pucks, I've read where other A-maze-n owners have used other brand pellets in their smokers and had success. Makes sense that it would. I haven't investigated alternatives yet as I've about 5 wood varieties of amazen pellets (about 15+pounds) stockpiled so I'm good to go for a while. Using other dust (i.e. regular coarse sawdust) is not recommended in the a-maze-n dust smoker.

Kevin
IdaKraut
Passionate
Passionate

Post by IdaKraut » Wed Apr 17, 2013 21:15

Ducko,

FWIW, I have the AMNPS 5x8 pellet smoker (http://www.amazenproducts.com/productde ... e=amnps5x8) and have been using Lumber Jack brand pellets since I get free shipping via Amazon.com. Those pellets have always produced great smoke. I haven't loaded it to its fullest capacity but loading it halfway gives me at least 6 hours of continuous smoke. I've used other brands as well but like the Lumber Jack brand the best. They all seem to work well.

I used to use a Bradley smoke generator but buying those expensive pucks and then having to use electricity to keep it smoking didn't make sense to me any more, now that I have the AMNPS. I would probably get the 18" AMNTS if I didn't already have my AMNPS. The tube smoker is somewhat new and wasn't available yet when I bought mine.
Rudy
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Mon Apr 29, 2013 04:02

Well, my spiffy new 18" Amazin' AMNTS tube smoker came Saturday, so I spent all day Saturday and Sunday crankin' out sausage to smoke. ...bought some ribs, too. I set up an umbrella over my Brinkman horizontal rig, and the Amazin' puffed out over 5 hours of moderate smoke on a half-charge of oak pellets, in a pouring rain.

While everything was smoking, I whipped up another one-kilo supply of breakfast chorizo and a half-kilo of sage breakfast sausage. Tonight, we invited friends over to sample the ribs and some of the smoked Texas Hot Links. We froze the smoked chicken sausage (Rytek Kutas' recipe, nitrite level checked just in case). I set aside a half-kilo of mince for my next run at that great csabaii recipe that we made in "Project B," but don't have the time available for the multiple days of smoking.

...but I have the right equipment, now! This thing is aptly named- - Amazin'.

I pulled a stunt to get the thing to light, by the way. My blowtorch is back home at our Texas house, so I tried lighting the pellets with a butane lighter. It wouldn't keep burning. I tried holding the open end in the flame from some burning charcoal, but it wouldn't burn reliably. Then I stuffed a half-briquet of burning charcoal into the open end. It stayed, so I tilted the tube and the half-load of pellets ran down and contacted the burning briquet. It caught nicely.

...any other tricks that I should know?
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Mon Apr 29, 2013 06:20

I've got the AMNPS and have used 3 different brands of pellets in it. All worked great. I use them in an old vertical New Braunfels smoker. These little units are aptly named - amazin! Doug uses his in a big cardboard box and gets great results. They aren't picky.

Oh - I've used hickory sawdust in it too, that I bought from Butcher Packer. It is not fine dust, but kind of flakey. Worked fine too.
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Mon Apr 29, 2013 16:04

Uncle Tom wrote:NorCal Kid,
I would like to ask what is the source (generator) smoke?
sorry for my english.
Regards Uncle Tom
Your English is better than mine! (No apology needed.)

Please look at http://www.amazenproducts.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=12 which shows both of the smokers that Cabonaia and I use. Mine is the 18-inch AMNTS tube smoker with pellets or sawdust. Cabonaia uses the AMNPS, which is one of the "maze" designs, a perforated flat plate with barriers designed to form a maze. His is designed for using pellets. Both work well.

I think the secret may be the sawdust or pellets. (Pellets appear to be sawdust, mixed with water, extruded into pellets which are then dried.) The maze works because a long line of pellets or dust can be lit at one end, and will burn slowly through the maze. ...sort of like a fuse. The tube design also works by burning pellets or sawdust which is in contact. The combustion front advances through the dust or pellets slowly, generating smoke. Sawdust particles are small enough to burn well (large ratio of surface area to volume), Larger chips do not have as much surface area, so a combustion front would be harder to maintain. (I plan to try it, though.)

Sorry for MY English. Sometimes I get lost in the details and overlook the obvious. It is cheaper to buy this quality-made product than to try other methods myself. Also, I don't have the metal working skills or tools required to build one of these. Perhaps you do. (I hope so.)Otherwise, consider one of these.

Have you read the Marianskis' book on smokehouse construction? There is an excellent section on smoke generation in there.

Best regards,
"Duck"
(Russ)
Maxell

Post by Maxell » Mon Apr 29, 2013 17:49

Hello Kevin.
Tell us more about this device from a pipe for smoking.
It may be the photos. :D
In Poland, there are no such devices, and it is very interesting.
Where can I buy?
Yours.
Pod ten adres proszę przesyłać zdjęcia i teksty. Zdjęcia muszą posiadać szerokość co najmniej 800 pikseli - wysokość nie jest istotna - ważne by były dobrej jakości.
maxell11@wp.pl
NorCal Kid
Passionate
Passionate

Post by NorCal Kid » Mon Apr 29, 2013 21:12

Maxell wrote:Hello Kevin.
Tell us more about this device from a pipe for smoking.
It may be the photos. :D
In Poland, there are no such devices, and it is very interesting.
Where can I buy?
Yours.
Hi Maxell.
"A-Maze-n Smokers" można kupić od tego sprzedawcy:
http://www.amazenproducts.com

Urządzenie to rura będzie dym na sześć godzin. Bardzo dobry produkt.
I przepraszam za mój biedny tłumaczenie na polski .... :oops:

Kevin