Install "smoke sticks:" horizontal barrel smoker

el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Install "smoke sticks:" horizontal barrel smoker

Post by el Ducko » Sun Jun 23, 2013 15:47

My trusty ol` Brinkmann Smoke-n-Pit horizontal smoker has served me well. Many a brisket has passed its door and firebox. But now, I want to smoke sausages too, and the ol` thing needs modifications to operate stably at lower temperatures.

The first modification was to buy an Amazin` tube smoke generator, model AMNTS, which solved the problem of long-duration smoke generation. Next was to cut down the amount of charcoal in the firebox, so as to reduce the temperature. I start off with a half-chimney of charcoal, and add a dozen charcoal briquettes every 1-1/2 to 2 hours.

And third was to add some "smoke sticks" to hang my sausage in. Horizontal smokers present challenges. Unless you put your sausages on racks and move 'em around every hour or so, nothing fits, and even then, smoke is applied unevenly.

My solution was to install two 36-inch long, 5/8 inch diameter steel rods. The smoker barrel is 34 inches long. Perfect! Drill holes in the ends of the smoker, shove the rods through, secure them so they don`t dump sausage every time the pit is disturbed, and you`re all set.

For spacing, I figured I`d allow plenty of room for the smoke to permeate, so I scribed a horizontal line across each end of the 16 inch diameter barrel. Then, I marked the center, then the centers of the line halves. This gave me marks which, if you mount a rod above both, leave two spaces for sausage, each 4 inches wide on either side at the wide point of the drum. Sausages hung from above form rings, kinda-sorta, so the cross-sectional layout is pretty close to optimum.

Having laid out the horizontal line and divided it into four sections, draw two vertical lines upward to locate where the rods should be. (Don`t bother drawing a center vertical.) Where, along the verticals, should the holes be? At first, I tried to locate the point where the vertical line was an inch away from the curve of the metal barrel. However, this doesn`t make much sense- - sausages hang downward, and do not wrap above the rod. I moved up, mounting the rod one inch down vertically from where the line intersects the top of the barrel.

Here`s the result:

I drilled four holes 5/8" in diameter, two in each end, and inserted the metal rods. The rods are thick enough that they flex very little, even when loaded with sausage. There needs to be some way of holding the rods stationary once loaded, or sometimes while being loaded, so I bought four cheap clamps at the local hardware store.

A more elegant solution will be to drill a hole in the smoke-box end of both rods, fit a washer and a removable pin/clip/cotter key, or maybe even thread the ends of the rods and attach washers and nuts. I`m away from my home, though, and have only portable tools with me. For now, I have to remove the clamps temporarily to open the firebox door. ...but what the heck, spring clamps are easy to use.

Here's some Polish sausage, some Andouille, and some Tasso. They turned out great.

One item of caution: Make sure that the rods will clear any internal obstructions. The stack projects into the barrel a small amount. I had to bend a small portion of it out of the way. (To be honest, I got lucky.) The other projection, a long-stem dial thermometer, cleared the rod but just barely. It will pierce a sausage if I`m not careful. I will replace it with a short-stem version, maybe. (These things are so inaccurate that I may not bother.)

Results: the Polish sausage (Marianski recipe, of course) was devoured last night at a party, the Andouille and Tasso were vacuum packed and frozen for our next Cajun cooking binge, and now, the pit`s working well for smoking sausages, at last.

Lessons learned:
(1) A light coat of mineral oil will keep your sausages from sticking.
(2) A confession, of sorts: When the sausages plateau in the 130's temperature range, if I've smoked 'em for two hours or more, I pull them out, wrap them in foil, insert a temperature probe, and put them in a 180 degF oven (as low as it will go). If your oven (like mine) has a temperature probe, set it to cut off the oven at 150 degrees. Internal meat temperature will coast to 155 deg.F.
:mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Jun 23, 2013 21:07

That's a gorgeous set up! I'll be over fer' supper! :mrgreen:
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Sun Jun 23, 2013 21:53

Chuckwagon wrote:That's a gorgeous set up! I'll be over fer' supper! :mrgreen:
...better hurry. The neighbors are vacuuming up Stan's Polish sausage recipe like mad. Looks like I'd better double it, next batch.

...and yeah, I probably need more time AT the grill. YeeHahHahHooie!
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Thu Jul 04, 2013 16:40

...a little follow-up on my Brinkmann horizontal smoker retrofit.

I chucked up each of the two rods in an electric drill, duck-taped the drill's trigger "on," and held a hacksaw blade to one end, about 1/8" from the end. The result was a shallow groove. I bought two press-on axle nuts at the home improvement "toy store" and hammered 'em on. Now I can open the firebox without having to fumble with clamps on that end. (Clamps still work great on the other end.)

For the 4th of July: This morning, I loaded in a kilo of "Texas Hot Links," another kilo of Stan's "Polish Sausage," and a pound of the Kabanosy recipe from "Project B," in sheep casing no less. (You'd be proud, CW. ...especially after my earlier efforts, prior to that copper tube trick.) ...new LEM itty bitty stainless stuffer tube, lubricated with pork fat instead of water, nyaaah nyaah, which fits my Grizzly stuffer exactly.

By the time the Amazin' tube smoker was churning out mesquite smoke and it was time to switch from coffee to beer, things lined out nicely. We're gonna be eatin' "high on thuh duck" tonight, next door. They requested hot links and Polish. ...nice folks. ...sensible, too.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Jul 04, 2013 16:58

Necessity is the mother of invention. A wooden vee block makes a good bearing for a long shaft.
Ross- tightwad home cook
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Thu Jul 04, 2013 18:58

The kabanosy just finished 1-1/2 hours of mesquite smoke, followed by a trip to the convection oven atop a sheet of aluminum foil with a 155°F thermocouple probe cutoff temperature and 190° oven temperature. The oven cut off after about an hour. I allowed a 10-minute "heat soak" before removing and weighing. It's down to 82% of starting weight, smells wonderful, and is cooling/drying on a rack in a quiet place over a plate on the granite counter.

The hot links and Polski are still smokin' and need about an hour more. I'll finish 'em out in the oven, this time wrapped in foil to stay moist. This gives me better control than trying to do it all in the smoker. (Note to purists: insert rude noise or Bronx cheer here.)
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Jul 05, 2013 07:42

Mmmmm..... "high on the duck?" :roll: Ooooooo!
The kabanosy just finished 1-1/2 hours of mesquite smoke, followed by a trip to the convection oven atop a sheet of aluminum foil with a 155°F thermocouple probe cutoff temperature and 190° oven temperature. The oven cut off after about an hour. I allowed a 10-minute "heat soak" before removing and weighing. It's down to 82% of starting weight, smells wonderful, and is cooling/drying on a rack in a quiet place over a plate on the granite counter.
El Quackster, it sounds like you've got a real handle on the procedure. I like the "heat soak". :lol: Good goin' pard.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Fri Jul 05, 2013 15:11

Chuckwagon wrote: ...handle on the procedure. I like the "heat soak". :lol:
Thanks. ...hope more people will try this, especially in the interest of food safety. There are really two nuggets, here: (1) safety, and (2) finish.

Safety: As for the heat soak, owing to having the temperature measured at just one spot, I try to pick a spot representative of the whole batch or piece of meat or whatever, and use that spot to cut off at 154°F. Unfortunately that temperature does not represent the whole batch. What's nice about an oven is that you can hold the temperature steady and wait for the whole thing to come up to temperature without overshooting more than a degree or two. As my Swiss friends tell me, "Thees way, we no keel nobodies." (And, being Swiss, thees way we no offend nobodies, neither.) :roll: And, speaking of thin ice...

Finish: I quit trying to be a purist long ago, opting for oven finishing. (Yes, it's controversial.) I cook with wood/charcoal so I can get good smoke time, but when the fire starts dying down and there's only a bit of temperature rise (or time) to go, I yank whatever I'm smoking and move indoors to the oven. I get a consistent, edible, safe meat this way, and it seems to work very well for smoked./cooked sausages as well as brisket/chicken/pork BBQ.

So there's a double up-side- - all parts of your cooked items will be subjected to sufficient temperature to be safe, and will also benefit from a consistent finish to the cooking, be it cured, smoked sausage/chicken/beast at 154°F or smoked brisket at 195°. Use of foil is up to you, but see that article (elsewhere) about handling the dreaded temperature plateau. This is a good way to take care of it.
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Mon Jul 08, 2013 00:27

...and speaking of food safety, the kabanosy just hit 55% of original weight, which if my "Project B" notes serve me right, reduces the Aw to a safe range. I celebrated by having some, in the interest of quality testing, of course. Yum. Why did I wait so long to make this recipe again?

And in a side note, I smoked some pork ribs for the horde, yesterday, using mesquite pellets and my Amazin smoke generator. They came out way better than my usual results using charcoal and mesquite chunks, due the steady generation of a good volume of smoke. The meat had a healthy pink smoke ring all the way to the bone.

I dry rub only, Texas style, cook 'em at 250° to 275° F for three hours or so, and finish 'em in a 250° oven wrapped in foil, to an IMT of 190°. The ribs drew complements from even the die-hard North Carolina crowd. (...none of that sticky, gooey sauce so popular in the east and south.) Only one of 'em asked for sauce, and that on the side. There's still hope for them, the infidels.