Grinder Plate

Shuswap
Passionate
Passionate

Grinder Plate

Post by Shuswap » Wed Oct 23, 2013 18:10

The plating on my Moulineaux plate has peeled off leaving bare metal which immediately rusts.

While I can sterilize it before each use but I wonder if I shouldn't chuck it. It's a #5 but it has the tenons attached unlike most plates that have the notches matching with the tenons built into the housing.
nuynai
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nuynai » Wed Oct 23, 2013 18:16

Sausagemaker makes a spray to coat your equipment to prevent rust on the parts. Needs to be washed off before being used again. Works good. I'm sure there are similar products out there. Good luck.
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Wed Oct 23, 2013 21:22

After each use, I wash my grinder plate(s) with soap and hot water, with a brush (or chopstick or toothpick) that will fit through the holes. Each hole needs to be cleared carefully.

Somewhere here on WD, I read that somebody (Ross, seems like) dries the plates in a warm oven for a bit. (I use a toaster oven.) This has cured my rust problem. After I pull 'em out (Yeow! Hot! Let 'em cool before handling), I then lightly coat each with mineral oil, working it into each hole with a toothpick etc.

You can by inexpensive pharmaceutical grade mineral oil (used as a laxative) at any pharmacy. I wrap and store each plate in a mineral-oil-soaked paper towel, and put all of 'em in a zip-loc bag so the oil doesn't get all over everything.
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
Shuswap
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Shuswap » Wed Oct 23, 2013 21:35

el Ducko wrote:After each use, I wash my grinder plate(s) with soap and hot water, with a brush (or chopstick or toothpick) that will fit through the holes. Each hole needs to be cleared carefully.

Somewhere here on WD, I read that somebody (Ross, seems like) dries the plates in a warm oven for a bit. (I use a toaster oven.) This has cured my rust problem. After I pull 'em out (Yeow! Hot! Let 'em cool before handling), I then lightly coat each with mineral oil, working it into each hole with a toothpick etc.

You can by inexpensive pharmaceutical grade mineral oil (used as a laxative) at any pharmacy. I wrap and store each plate in a mineral-oil-soaked paper towel, and put all of 'em in a zip-loc bag so the oil doesn't get all over everything.
That's a plan - thanx for the tip.
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Wed Oct 23, 2013 21:41

Now you can boast that your homemade sausages have a health benefit that the commercially available sausages don't: they help keep you "regular." :roll:
:mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.