need help buying a grinder and dont know what to get

king kabanos
Frequent User
Frequent User

need help buying a grinder and dont know what to get

Post by king kabanos » Tue Aug 19, 2014 23:58

hi everybody i have about 500-800 bucks to buy a new grinder. right now i have a lem .35 horsepower electric grinder and i want something with more power thinking of 1 horse or more. now i was looking at a hand grinder and getting a electric motor from harbor freight for 150 bucks which is 1 horse and a half and buying a lovejoy coupling shaft to connect the two shafts together and making the hand grinder electric. has anyone done this or has one on the forum?? if is it hard to put together? do do those hand made electric grinders work good? if not what grinder company makes better products LEM, Cabellas or other brands and what should i get if you were in my shoes
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Aug 20, 2014 00:26

King, the guy to talk to is my friend Scott. His handle is Blackriver on this site. He knows about this stuff believe me. He's had some bad experiences with some types and good experiences with others. He knows what is available out there and has studied the quality of those products on the market. I believe he would give you some great advice if you would give him a shout via PM or email.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Gulyás
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Gulyás » Wed Aug 20, 2014 00:42

Hi King,

I strongly recommend you buy the Cabelas grinder instead of the other mentioned. (Yes I have one of those.....) :mrgreen:

http://www.cabelas.com/category/Food-Gr ... 364180.uts

.......and I also say, that I do NOT own stocks, or have any other interest at Cabelas.....
Failure to prepare is preparing to fail.
Darwin
User
User

Post by Darwin » Wed Aug 20, 2014 02:30

I consider everything from Harbor Freight to be disposable, nothing wrong with that if it is a rarely used item. If I was spending good money I would want a good warranty, service and quality parts.
Cabela's does have them on sale right now. Heavy use deserves a quality product. I got my tools from Gander Mountain. Should be good sales as the holidays get closer.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Aug 20, 2014 04:14

Powering a hand grinder will get you nick named stubbs! They are not safe!
Ross- tightwad home cook
king kabanos
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by king kabanos » Wed Aug 20, 2014 05:08

haha yeah i got to watch those fingers or i will end up like chubbs peterson from happy gilmore movie haha. so what do you guys think just go with the cabelas 1 1/2 horse grinder? i am going to post some pics of some suasage kabanosy bacon baleron and kaszanka i made last week. and also if anyone wants to join me in going to poland and going to the awesome school i will be your interpreter if you dont speak polish. i speak english and polish preety good but my writing in polish sucks
cogboy
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by cogboy » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:37

I have owned a Cabelas 1 1/2 HP (32 head) for 20 years. I've ground 40-50 deer and a dozen moose plus countless pounds of pork for sausage. It still runs like a champ.
Gulyás
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Gulyás » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:14

Hey King,

You need much more to build an electric grinder than just coupling shaft.
Like mounting base, speed reducer, lots of bolts, engineering skill......etc.....
Look for ideas here, and see if you still want to make one.

https://www.google.com/search?q=homemad ... 80&bih=867
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Wed Aug 20, 2014 16:07

Like Gulyas and Cogboy, I have a Cabelas for almost a decade now, one horsepower, never a problem. They are on sale right now, you can get $5.00 shipping too. Check it out. RAY

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Home-Cab ... t104364180
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
king kabanos
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by king kabanos » Wed Aug 20, 2014 18:14

ok you guys are saying to go with cabelas. what do you think the difference in quality vs lem and cabelas. i know the cabelas is on sale and cheaper but the lem has that big bite technology.
Gulyás
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Gulyás » Wed Aug 20, 2014 19:21

Hey King,

I think Cabelas is a little better grinder, on the other hand nothing works better than that big-bite technology.
My grinder is different, 1.5 hp, and I can't feed the meet fast enough with both of my hands.
It can grind a herd in 15 minutes.

Bottom line, you can't go wrong no matter which one you pick.
On the far right is my big-bite one.

I put a different feed pan on it.
Gulyás
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Gulyás » Wed Aug 20, 2014 20:33

Hey King,

This is 1.5 hp.
Stainless steel.
Big-bite, and relatively cheep.
But #$@&^%* made in China.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-5HP-Electric- ... 540db924e7
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Wed Aug 20, 2014 21:46

To be honest I have the 1 horse model from those folks...made in China.. still works fine after 10 years..and I use it a lot. Its all I could afford at the time.

Never heats up the throat like I have read about on here on other grinders. I froze the throat and plates today... but not much of a difference. Just semi freeze the meat first.

I do small batches 15 -25 lbls for sausages/salamis and some around 40-60 lbs for burgers.

Quite a collection you have Gulias!
Gulyás
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Gulyás » Wed Aug 20, 2014 22:46

Bob,
I like my grinder now.......
A very long story in a nutshell.
The first one I got, sent it back, it was a piece of scrap.
A second one, I had to rework completely.
They sent me the wrong tray....3 times.....after I talked to them on the phone, gave them the sizes, and sent them pictures in email.
Finley I got a tray on eBay, and converted it to fit. (the tray is from a Cabelas 1.5 hp.grinder)

Luckily I'm the Jack of everything.......... :mrgreen: (master of nothing)
cogboy
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by cogboy » Wed Aug 20, 2014 22:48

I think they are all made in china these days . :roll: