Using the kidney plate without the blade

G pop
Beginner
Beginner

Post by G pop » Fri Dec 22, 2017 22:14

I have a question about using the kidney plate without the blade, when I tried that before
the auger would wabble and the square end of the auger got damaged which I filed so I`m still ok. what am I doing wrong ? I have a #12 uniworld grinder.
I really enjoy this forum I read it everyday. 1st time posting

Thanks Paul
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Sat Dec 23, 2017 13:07

Paul-
Mine is the same way, it can't be used without the blade without damaging the feedscrew. I tried to use it as a stuffer with just the kidney plate years back and also found out the hard way, Allied Kenco has replacement studs. http://www.alliedkenco.com/feedscrewstuds.aspx
Laftpig
User
User

Post by Laftpig » Sat Dec 23, 2017 17:29

BobK, let me get this straight you have a recipe method which you know damages expensive equipment yet you don`t tell anyone and still keep it posted. It`s only when G pop brings it to your attention that you acknowledge the fact. Am I getting this correctly?
harleykids
Passionate
Passionate

Post by harleykids » Sat Dec 23, 2017 17:42

Paul, Laftpig,

There is a simple solution to your wobble issue....simply make a spacer the same thickness as the blade, install when using kidney place, and problem solved!

Stack washers together, or get a shaft spacer from your local hardware store, etc.
Not a difficult problem to solve!

Best of luck!
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Sat Dec 23, 2017 17:57

Laftpig

Good point. A caution has been added to recipe. But it's not my recipe or method. Also some grinders work fine without the blade. I never damaged my grinder, it simply would not work correctly without a blade. So damage to someone's equipment never occurred to me, I probably should have worded my post "potentially damaging the feedscrew".
Last edited by Bob K on Sat Dec 23, 2017 18:34, edited 2 times in total.
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Sat Dec 23, 2017 18:06

harleykids wrote:Stack washers together, or get a shaft spacer from your local hardware store, etc.
Not a difficult problem to solve!
Jason it's actually more difficult than you may think, and what you mentioned does not work with my grinder, Easier solution was buy a stuffer!! Other than using the grinder to stuff with I have no reason to use it without a blade.
redzed

Post by redzed » Fri Dec 29, 2017 05:33

I used my kidney plate with no blade to extract myosins without avy issues or damage to my grinder. I have the Lem Big Bite 12. I just add another bushing and make sure the auger is tight and the kidney plate is snug against it.