Apera PH60S pH Meter

Kijek
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Kijek » Sat Mar 24, 2018 02:02

Thank you Redz, that is what I was looking for, I noticed the different models and noticed you had the "S" model.
Although, we make wine, I don't think we are going to start changing what we do based on a ph meter, since we love our wine and so do others.
But I'm the "Meat" sausage guy and I feel I'm ready for a ph meter.
So thanks again guys, I think I know what to buy for a ph meter.
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:42

JC-
Thats a great chart and info about fermenting with 007!!! Could you also post that info in the 007 string? http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.ph ... 6&start=15
StefanS
Passionate
Passionate

Post by StefanS » Sat Mar 24, 2018 13:22

Bob K wrote:Thats a great chart and info about fermenting with 007!
- yess it is. Thank you for showing.
About Apera - I have chances to compare with Milwaukee (using both) - IMO - Apera is good but Milwaukee better - reason -
Apera is less stable in readings, longer to calibrate. After many measurements my trust is better in Milwaukee.
Kijek
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Kijek » Sat Mar 24, 2018 14:59

StefanS
Passionate
Passionate

Post by StefanS » Sat Mar 24, 2018 16:01

Kijek wrote:StefanS Is this the one?
yes - but i got mine with spear electrode here - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Milwaukee-MW10 ... 35d6281b8a
Kijek
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Kijek » Sat Mar 24, 2018 17:03

Excellent, I like it, and the price is not too bad. I think this might be the meter for me.
Thank you
jcflorida
User
User

Post by jcflorida » Sat Mar 24, 2018 20:46

Bob K wrote:JC-
Thats a great chart and info about fermenting with 007!!! Could you also post that info in the 007 string? http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.ph ... 6&start=15
Done, also added another chart at a lower fermentation temperature FWIW.
redzed

Post by redzed » Mon Mar 26, 2018 15:40

This for any Canadians out there looking to buy a pH meter. The Apera PH60s today is available on the Canadian Amazon sire for only $203 Canadian dollars. That's only about 158USD. It's selling on the US Amazon site for $217 (280CDN).
https://www.amazon.ca/Apera-Instruments ... B01ENFOIK0
cajuneric
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by cajuneric » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:19

JcFlorida,

Thanks for that great graph. That is exactly what I was looking for. Your graph really appeals to the way my brain works!! I love it.

Eric
cajuneric
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by cajuneric » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:22

Red,

Great looking pH meter! I like the carrying case it comes with on Amazon. Here's a question. Do you keep the batteries in it all the time or do you take them out each time for storage? I notice the case comes with a slot for batteries. My Hanna does also and I didn't know if it was for extra batteries or the current ones..

Eric
redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Apr 04, 2018 15:14

That's a good point! Usually it's not a good idea to leave batteries in anything for a long time if not using. I've had batteries leak and ruin something a few times over the years. I don't do that with this meter as I have been using it on a regular basis. But if it's going to have a rest for a while, removing the batteries could save the meter from being damaged.
jrittvo
Beginner
Beginner

Post by jrittvo » Wed Aug 22, 2018 04:29

Apera users:

Do you calibrate before each measurement session, or less often?

Do you add any distilled water to your sample to make a slurry?

I am on my first run of salami and the readings vary somewhat based on where I insert the probe in the sample. I`ve been taking 5 readings, ignoring the highest and lowest, and averaging the remaining 3. I think the highest reading is probably from the tip ending up in a blob of fat, and the lowest in a spot with more starter there. (I did not mix enough. 5 minutes by hand for 5 lbs, and it got sticky, but it is really not well bound I see after the fact. Also has much too much fat. I used back fat and sort of ignored the fat from the trim, so I think I am at 40% or more fat. I`ll know better on both issues for next time.)
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Wed Aug 22, 2018 15:40

You should really calibrate any brand Ph meter before each use to get the most accurate readings. As far as making a slurry you really don't need to with a meat probe.
Also as noted above by Stefan that meter may vary a little from reading to reading.
jcflorida
User
User

Post by jcflorida » Wed Aug 22, 2018 18:56

jrittvo wrote:Do you calibrate before each measurement session, or less often
I've had the Apera/meat probe meter for almost a year now. I check the calibration at the start of each sausage making operation, but I've only actually had to recalibrate maybe twice. I have found that the meter is fairly slow to reach a stable reading and the little smiley face that is supposed to indicate a stable reading frequently lies. This is particularly true if the sample and meter are at significantly different temperatures. Since the meter's temperature sensor is built in to the probe, the temperature will take some time to reach stability. In any event, I allow 60 seconds to take a reading if I really want an accurate reading. If I'm just trying to make sure acidification is working, I don't bother with the wait. I've not noticed any significant variations in readings within a single sample, but I do try to avoid stabbing a chunk of fat.
jrittvo
Beginner
Beginner

Post by jrittvo » Wed Aug 22, 2018 19:51

Thanks for the responses. I calibrated at the start and end of about 60 hours of fermentation. The error was 0.03 in all cases, so not worrisome. I also had noticed the smiley face is not a stable indicator. I`ve set the "hold" function on, and it only shows "hold" after about 10 seconds of a smiley face, so I`m using that as my stability marker. On the next batch, I will try leaving the capped sensor in the chamber before and between testing. Thanks for all the feedback.