Apera PH60S pH Meter

jcflorida
User
User

Post by jcflorida » Wed Aug 22, 2018 20:38

The only grouse I have with the Apera pH meter is that the KCl solution leaks out of the cap if it's stored on its side. Simplest fix is to store the meter in its carrying case vertically on a book shelf. If you can get a size 018 o-ring, that also helps.
redzed

Post by redzed » Thu Aug 23, 2018 21:59

Since I use my meter infrequently, I calibrate before each fermentation session. That means that I calirate once and then don't over the next 72 hours. It is also a good idea to use fresh calibration solutions each time. No need for make a slurry if you have the "S" Apera.
bcboy
Beginner
Beginner

Re:

Post by bcboy » Sun Jan 03, 2021 18:11

jcflorida wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 02:01
Based on redzed's post here, I purchased the Apera PH60S a few weeks ago, and so far I'm very happy with it. It's simple to use and very easy to calibrate using small samples of solutions provided with the kit. I've made fresh and semi dry sausages for years, but always chickened out on dried sausage because I couldn't get any reasonable pH measure using strips and without the ability to check whether things were going according to the book.

I initially fooled around with the Apera by preparing a series of 60 gram pork samples with 0.044% B-LC-007 culture and various amounts of sugars. The result (below) gave me the confidence to start my first Salami (Len Poli's "Favorite Recipe"). Now 4 days into the drying phase.

Thanks for taking the time to do the testing, making and posting your findings on the forum!!!
Thanks again!!!
redzed wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 21:59
Since I use my meter infrequently, I calibrate before each fermentation session. That means that I calirate once and then don't over the next 72 hours. It is also a good idea to use fresh calibration solutions each time. No need for make a slurry if you have the "S" Apera.
Thanks Redzed!!!