Dedicated smoker for sausage making

bolepa
Frequent User
Frequent User

Dedicated smoker for sausage making

Post by bolepa » Thu Mar 15, 2018 19:19

Hi everyone, I did my best and spent a lot of time trying and hoping to find any information on line (net) but with no result so I am gaving up and decided to open a new topic. Sometime ago I opened a topic on this forum asking if a "Smokin It #3" smoker will work to smoke/cook sausages but was suggested to build a custom wooden smoker by myself. While this is a great idea and easy to build it`s not doable in my case and potentially can create fire hazard: very small backyard with a short distance from my backyard to neighboring houses. I was comparing electrical and propane smokers (Smoke Hollow 44", Masterbuilt 40" and others within $300 -800 range but according to my research neither of them can maintain temperature range from 100F to 200F - they all designed for temp range from 200F and up to 350/400F and also, they are way too small. I found one on Sausage Maker site https://www.sausagemaker.com/30-lb-Digi ... 9-1012.htm but learned from other reviews that it`s not able to hold #30 of meat in it but also and more importantly prone to temp fluctuation.... I don`t care about cooking briskets, shoulders or ribs (in fact, I don`t mind either) but my main point is I need to be able to smoke/cook sausages.... Currently I have 6 years old (but in great condition) Brinkman Trailmaster Limited Charcoal smoker/grill with 962 sq.in. of cooking space. It`s tied with a small grill by 4" diameter and 6 yards long pipe: small grill acts as a smoke generator. This makes me able to provide cold smoke when needed. The problem is I have to light up charcoal separately in the chimney, then add it to my main smoker fire box (on the right side) multiple times in order to maintain needed temperature in the smoker. Even if I try to do my best - this is just not possible: the smoker is long enough (68.11 in) so it`s hotter in the right side and getting colder toward to left side of the smoker (I have three thermometers installed). I have to rotate grates all the time which is PIMB. There is a lot wise and experienced sausage makers and simply nice guys on this forum so I am not losing my hope just yet.... Thank you in advance!
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Thu Mar 15, 2018 22:05

As far as temp control on any of the electric smokers, there are lots of good plug and play controllers available now in the 20-30$$ range...that are accurate. Set at any temp you desire.
Kijek
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Kijek » Fri Mar 16, 2018 02:27

You know what, try calling or emailing Miroslaw Stanuszek at Sausage Maker Co.
He's a super nice guy willing to help anyone figure out problems, he always been there for me.

Email: mstan@sausagemaker.com
bolepa
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by bolepa » Fri Mar 16, 2018 17:13

BobK wrote: "As far as temp control on any of the electric smokers, there are lots of good plug and play controllers available now in the 20-30$$ range...that are accurate. Set at any temp you desire."

Thank you BobK. I was considering PID controllers with electrical smoker but was not sure if this going to help. What I get from different sources is those smokers engineered the way it`s probably almost impossible to maintain certain temperature in them as well as to keep low temp. Maybe I just need to go ahead and buy a smoker and try it... Anyway, I was thinking about Auber Programmable PID Controller for $143.50 (for Bradley smokers). I guess it should work with any smoker but will consult with Auber about that. It`s not cheap but what I found from many reviews this guy is pretty reliable to maintain constant temperature.... So should be a good investment.

Kijek wrote: "try calling or emailing Miroslaw Stanuszek at Sausage Maker Co. He's a super nice guy willing to help anyone figure out problems"

Thank you, Kijek. Make sense - I am going to send an email to him today. Will see if he is able to help me with this....

Boris
Cdub
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Cdub » Fri Mar 16, 2018 18:16

In my home made smoker i use the A-419 controller( http://cgproducts.johnsoncontrols.com/m ... 125188.pdf ). I manually set the temp for the 1500watt element and use a bradley smoke generator when smoke is required. In the past on other smokers I used a Sauna control thermostat from Robertshaw if I recall, copper bulb style and manual dial but within the temp ranges. I was also in communication with Fireboard labs this week about their meat thermometer as it is capable of controlling a fan I asked if it could control a heat source instead. Their comment was they are looking into it as people have been asking.

Edit for link fix
Last edited by Cdub on Sat Mar 17, 2018 13:29, edited 1 time in total.
cajuneric
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by cajuneric » Fri Apr 20, 2018 02:44

Sorry I'm late to the party but I'd love to chime in. I currently own a smokin-it #4. I had a number 3d for a while but needed something bigger. The smokin it model 3d and above (3.5, 4 and 5) hold temps between 0f up to 300f. This not only makes it ideal to cook and cold smoke but also you can use this as a fermentation chamber if you make salami.

I love mine and it works like a charm. Not only that but the man that owns smokin it has exceptional customer service skills. He will help you out whenever he can.

Last week I used my Smokin it to ferment 80 pounds of salami and it held a temp of 80f no problems!!

With that being said a good temp control unit will fix you up as well..

I just bought an auber unit for something different and am extremely happy with the results. Nice products..

Any questions let me know.
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Fri Apr 20, 2018 13:22

I believe those smokers are now made with Auber temp controls.

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threa ... er.157512/
bolepa
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by bolepa » Fri Apr 20, 2018 14:12

cajuneric, I believe you are talking about Smokin-It # 4D. Yes, these smokers come with Auber temp controller. They are big enough and can hold up to 75# of meat (not sausages though).
The price for this smoker is $1,899.99 with free shipping and it's out of my price range.
Three days ago I pulled the trigger and bought a 30# stainless steel, insulated smoker from TSM.
The price is $799 plus $50 shipping. In spite it's not equipped with Auber temp controller (I wish it was) I was told by store reps that the smoker is able to hold a temperature within plus/minus 2 degrees.
I will update you on this smoker as soon as I receive and try it... in about four weeks.
Last edited by bolepa on Fri Apr 20, 2018 14:37, edited 2 times in total.
cajuneric
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by cajuneric » Fri Apr 20, 2018 14:30

Awesome. Hope it works great for your needs.... Keep us posted

Eric
bobrap
Beginner
Beginner

Post by bobrap » Thu Jan 24, 2019 18:53

Bob K wrote:As far as temp control on any of the electric smokers, there are lots of good plug and play controllers available now in the 20-30$$ range...that are accurate. Set at any temp you desire.
Can you expand on this a bit more? I have a MES 40 and would like better temp control. Thanks.
jcflorida
User
User

Post by jcflorida » Thu Jan 24, 2019 19:12

bobrap wrote:Can you expand on this a bit more? I have a MES 40 and would like better temp control
You can get one of these, but check the wattage on your heating element. This is only good for 1200W.

https://www.amazon.com/Inkbird-Max-1200 ... controller

My DIY smoker uses a 1500W element, so I use one of these with an in-line 30A relay.

https://www.amazon.com/Inkbird-All-Purp ... controller

Also doubles as a refrigerator controller for my curing chamber.
bobrap
Beginner
Beginner

Post by bobrap » Thu Jan 24, 2019 19:28

I actually own the Inkbird 308 that I use for beer fermentation. Guess I don't see how to control the temp in a MES with this. But then I'm not the brightest bulb in the pack. :)
jcflorida
User
User

Post by jcflorida » Thu Jan 24, 2019 22:46

bobrap wrote:Guess I don't see how to control the temp in a MES
Maybe I made a wrong assumption . . . are you trying to control temperatures greater than 200ÂşF? If so, what I posted is not applicable.
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Fri Jan 25, 2019 16:19

bobrap wrote:Guess I don't see how to control the temp in a MES with this.
Set the temp control on smoker to max temp
Plug the smoker into the Inkbird
Put sensor in smoker (through a vent)
Set temp on inkbird
bobrap
Beginner
Beginner

Post by bobrap » Sat Jan 26, 2019 16:43

That's what I thought. Do the same with my freezer.