Best Type Meat Mixer

Bob K

Post by Bob K » Thu Apr 19, 2018 15:11

Eric-
Stand /bowl mixer vs meat mixer, do you see much of a difference? Seems to be me clean up and setup would much easier with the bowl mixer.
cajuneric
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by cajuneric » Thu Apr 19, 2018 15:23

Great question. I personally find that the stand mixer delivers a better texture. It also mixes more effectively. The clean up is far easier as well!!

My choice is standmixer with paddle attachment. The difference is night and day.

Eric
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Thu Apr 19, 2018 15:54

After seeing your bowl mixer in action that's what I thought as you also have a meat mixer.
The mixing and clean up are always in question with the home sized meat mixers. My only concern about using a Kitchen Aid sized mixer would be power. 1.) Would they bog down with 5-10 lbs of ice cold stiff mince. 2.) Would the motor be over taxed and burn out over time.

Anyone use a Kitchen Aid to mix meat?
cajuneric
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by cajuneric » Thu Apr 19, 2018 16:51

I can answer that also. The gears on the kitchen aid grind quite easily. If there is any resistance whatsoever the main gear locks down and starts to grind. A kitchen aid is a great machine and certainly has its place in a kitchen but using it long term for mixing meat might cause the gears to wear out faster than normal. Here's what we did though

In our kitchen we used to make bagels commercially with the kitchen aid. She was a trooper but after a while the gears would get stripped due to the resistance of the glutinous dough. I wasn't in a place to buy a bigger unit then so I always has a supply of food grade grease, extra gears, and rings to replace when she was getting tired.

We would replace the parts generally every 8 months give or take.. If only the motor was a little bit stronger!!

Will it work yes but learn how to change the parts (It crazy easy!!)

Eric
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Thu Apr 19, 2018 17:13

Kitchen Aid - Do you know if you had the more robust commercial or the home version?
cajuneric
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by cajuneric » Thu Apr 19, 2018 17:25

Not sure. In Panama the selection is limited.

This is the one I have

KitchenAid Professional 550 Plus Stand Mixer
575 watt