Bowl Cutter Issues

johnmac

Bowl Cutter Issues

Post by johnmac » Thu Nov 01, 2018 03:38

I recently picked up an older Hobart 18" bowl cutter (Buffalo Chopper). The few times that I've used it to make Felishkase, I end up with meat spilling out of the bowl. I'll upload photos as needed, but I'm trying to get an idea what the ideal amount of product is to process per batch. 5kg seems to me a bit much, but small batches don't emulsify well. Any ideas other than "try less than that" are appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Thu Nov 01, 2018 03:58

I put my hand or a spatula type thing in the bowl as it turns to keep the meat folded toward the center because it seems to want to walk up the sides. I still lose some because I can't always guide the mince.
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Fri Nov 02, 2018 14:06

Same as butter bean here. I use an auto body filler applicator as my scraper. My chopper is the same size and 4kg is about perfect.
johnmac

Post by johnmac » Fri Nov 02, 2018 23:32

Thanks much, I appreciate the feedback. I generally use a bowl scraper to keep things in place, but thought that there had to be a better way. Apparently the Hobart engineers only had to get 70% on their tests too.

Follow up question... Is it best to add the binding agent (milk powder in this case) at the beginning of the process or once the ice has been incorporated a bit?
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Sun Nov 04, 2018 16:12

When I use the bowl cutter for emulsion I never add any milk powder. The emulsion seems to be excellent as binder. We add about 20-30% emulsion to the meat block and never use any binders or milk powder.
redzed

Post by redzed » Sun Nov 04, 2018 16:58

I can't really add anything new or enlightening here other than don't fill the cutter to the stated capacity. (which you did not want to hear) :mrgreen: I have a Chinese 5 liter chopper and I only work with with filling the bowl half full, in other words 2.5-3 litres of meat, which is not that much. When I was buying the machine I mistakenly thought that I would be ale to actually process a volume of 5 litres of meat. But the problem here is that no chopper can be filled to the top. There always needs to be some space between the batter and the top of the bowl. So if you are working with a small capacity chopper you will be working with proportionately less meat. Once you get into larger machines you can emulsify larger amounts of product, as much as 90% of capacity.