Vintage Hobart experts?

rgreenberg2000
User
User

Vintage Hobart experts?

Post by rgreenberg2000 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 03:41

A couple of years back, I stumbled across someone in my neighborhood who was looking to make room in his garage by getting rid of a vintage #22 Hobart grinder. The price was right (really cheap), and the grinder worked, so I relieved the kind gentleman of his burden. My plan was to spruce it up a bit, and put it into service. I got through a bit of the disassembly, and then life got in the way, and the project got shelved. Unfortunately, I mislaid some of my pictures and notes that related to the way it was wired up, and I'm now a bit stuck on how to get it rewired. It has four wires that used to be connected to a power cord. I believe that it can be wired for 110v or 220v depending on how you link the wires together. Since I'm electrically ignorant, I thought this group might be a place where I could uncover someone who has tinkered with these things before and might be able to give me some direction..... There's a bit of nostalgia attached to this beast, as it is the exact same model of Hobart grinder that my grandfather used in his butcher shop. Since I'm stuck at home these days, I thought maybe it would make a good winter project to get it going again.......

It looks like this one:

If anyone has some experience with these old behemoths, I'd love to get some tips! Electrical, breakdown, proper oil/lube, etc.

Thanks!

Rich
rgreenberg2000
User
User

Re: Vintage Hobart experts?

Post by rgreenberg2000 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 05:06

I found the partial old manual for my "chopper" that I had filed away on my computer. It's a model 822 chopper. Here's a link to the partial manual if anyone is interested.....https://www.heritageparts.com/medias/HO ... YjNlNjEwNg

Let me know if anyone has any ideas! :)

R
redzed

Post by redzed » Thu Dec 10, 2020 08:00

The manual seems to have most of the info you need, check which fuse is in there and it should tell you whether its 115 or 230. the 230 male plug is also different from a 115, so that also might tell you the voltage. As for rewiring, I would get an electrician to do it. The last thing you want to do is blow the motor. If it works, and once you get it polished up it looks like a great find. I have a Hobart slicer and these things were made to last. You can pass it on to your grandchildren.
rgreenberg2000
User
User

Post by rgreenberg2000 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 23:58

Thanks, Red. I know it can be wired for 115v, as that's how it was when it came into my possession. Unfortunately, I lost my notes and pics from before I undid the wiring, so am not 100% certain how to wire it back up again.

I have a good friend who is an electrician, but he's a vegetarian, so I will need to find other ways to bribe him to help me.

Outside of the electrical, I need to pull open the gear casing to inspect the condition of the gears, lubricant, etc. , and it wouldn't be a bad idea to try to get the VERY stubborn bolts off the commutater end so that the motor and brushes can be inspected as well. I've got a shiny new grinding plate and knife to try out, so just need to get off my butt and get started. :)

R
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Sat Dec 12, 2020 15:50

The directions for connecting the wires are on the plate.
rgreenberg2000
User
User

Post by rgreenberg2000 » Sat Dec 12, 2020 16:45

Thanks, Bob, that will help! Unfortunately, the wires are all the same color. We'll get it figured out, I'm sure. I'm just kicking myself for not being more careful with the notes since I actually took them (for just this reason!) Hopefully, I'll exit this summer with a shiny, red #22 Hobart....... I will need to buy or build a cart with wheels for it though..... this thing weighs a ton! :)

R
Schandler1968

Post by Schandler1968 » Fri Nov 05, 2021 22:43

rgreenberg2000 wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 03:41
A couple of years back, I stumbled across someone in my neighborhood who was looking to make room in his garage by getting rid of a vintage #22 Hobart grinder. The price was right (really cheap), and the grinder worked, so I relieved the kind gentleman of his burden. My plan was to spruce it up a bit, and put it into service. I got through a bit of the disassembly, and then life got in the way, and the project got shelved. Unfortunately, I mislaid some of my pictures and notes that related to the way it was wired up, and I'm now a bit stuck on how to get it rewired. It has four wires that used to be connected to a power cord. I believe that it can be wired for 110v or 220v depending on how you link the wires together. Since I'm electrically ignorant, I thought this group might be a place where I could uncover someone who has tinkered with these things before and might be able to give me some direction..... There's a bit of nostalgia attached to this beast, as it is the exact same model of Hobart grinder that my grandfather used in his butcher shop. Since I'm stuck at home these days, I thought maybe it would make a good winter project to get it going again.......

It looks like this one:

If anyone has some experience with these old behemoths, I'd love to get some tips! Electrical, breakdown, proper oil/lube, etc.

Thanks!

Rich
I am also looking for information regarding this type of grinder. Any information on how to properly lubricate and what to use would be greatly appreciated. It seems to have two spring-loaded fittings on the top and a half inch brass plug. Thank you in advance