Salami and sausage casings

magician
Beginner
Beginner

Salami and sausage casings

Post by magician » Fri May 21, 2021 05:36

Hello all, I have recently purchased salami casings from China, reason for this move was that over here in NZ the casings and other products are extremely expensive. I had a look on Aliexpress and found these casings(https://www.aliexpress.com/store/184973 ... 67c12LzeS6). They were so cheap that I thought if it would be a mistake and not good it would not matter. They come in packs of 10's and I ordered two packs. When it arrived, it felt like some sort of dry crackling paper. When I started to use them, I was so surprised, I could shout it out. I had dunk it into water like all the casing I use, but in a flash they were soft and felt like handling a condom! I could not believe the ease of working with it, I had it in the water for maybe a few seconds! At the same time I was suspicious of the quality, they were so soft. When I stuffed them, I was even more surprised at the quality being above my expectations. Stuff from Chine.. could not believe it. They work fantastic and you should just check it out on this above link.
Bob K

Re: Salami and sausage casings

Post by Bob K » Sat May 22, 2021 12:48

Good Info. Are you using them for fresh / smoked sausage or dry cured? Did they seem to have any stretch when stuffing?
redzed

Post by redzed » Sat May 22, 2021 16:49

The dried hog casings sold by sellers in North America are all from China, as far as I can determine. A great proportion of fresh hog casings sold around the world are also from China. They are the largest producer and consumers of pork in the world. I've ordered various dried products from Aliepress and they work well but with limitations. I found them to be very tough once the sausages are smoked, but work really well in dried salami style products. What type of sausage did you make with yours? Were you able to eat the casing?
magician
Beginner
Beginner

Post by magician » Wed May 26, 2021 02:58

I did not smoke any with these casings, just made salami. I planned for a while to add mixed dried fruit that they use in fruit cakes and made two salamis. Then I made two smoked paprika salamis. Today I made 4 fennel salamis, all with the new casings from China, I love them. They are soft and stuff easy, no extra stretching at all. The salamis are still curing, so in a few weeks I will try them. I also made venison salami with hog casings, but I will not make that kind of salami again, not my type of meat for salami. It seems that all the salamis I made with casings bought from here, do not get any mold on them even after numerous spraying with the mold culture, but these casings and the hog casings are already full of mold. The hog casing which have been in my fridge for weeks now are totally covered with thick mold!