Beef round question

Blackriver
Passionate
Passionate

Beef round question

Post by Blackriver » Tue Aug 21, 2012 15:15

I purchased some beef rounds from butcher and packer back in December. They have been in the fridge since then. I want to make ring bologna and their instructions say to soak the casings in lukewarm water before stuffing. I have read that warm water in a no no. If it is what is the correct method for preparing beef rounds before stuffing meat into casings?
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Tue Aug 21, 2012 18:49

Warm / tepid water is fine. For beef rounds, add a splash of vinegar and rinse thoroughly. Helps with the odor.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Aug 22, 2012 05:04

I agree with Cabonaia Scott. Don't use hot water. Warm (tepid) is fine. Natural casings may look solid but in reality they contain minute holes (pores) that permit smoke or moisture to go through. If warm fat is ground, it starts to smear and clogs up those spores inhibiting drying. Natural casings are salted and they must be prepared for stuffing:
- Soak them in cold water for 30 min and then rinse them well. Change water once or twice during the process. Water should be of drinking quality.
- To reduce the possibility of any contamination by bacteria, rinse casings briefly (in and out) with vinegar.
- During drying, if the outside of the sausage becomes greasy, it should be wiped off with a warm cloth otherwise it may inhibit drying.

- Do not de-salt casings with hot water.
- Do not store casings at high temperatures.
- Do not de-salt casings for a prolonged period of time.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Blackriver
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Blackriver » Wed Aug 22, 2012 15:10

Thanks a lot guys! It is really nice to be able to ask a question and get professional answers! That is why I love this forum!
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Wed Aug 22, 2012 15:12

Blackriver, I hope we get to see pictures of your results with the beef rounds.

Cheers,
Jeff
redzed

Post by redzed » Sat Mar 02, 2013 19:43

I am preparing some beef rounds to case coppa and breasola. Quite a bit of fat on the iside lining. Is it safe to scrape/cut off or can I invert them and stuff into the smooth side?
Thanks,
Chris
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sat Mar 02, 2013 20:09

You could invert them like you say or take a dull butter knife and lightly scrape them or just pick the big chunks off by hand. If you ever cleaned a fresh one by hand you would probably be pleased at how clean yours are they way they came.
redzed

Post by redzed » Sat Mar 02, 2013 20:53

Oopsie! I had a senior moment. I was referring to beef bungs and not beef rounds.