Using Butcher's twine

Rick
Passionate
Passionate

Using Butcher's twine

Post by Rick » Wed Sep 05, 2012 01:45

In the past when I've made ring bologna, I've also used the hog rings in combination with twine in order to get them to hang over my smoking stick in the smoker. Invariably I've had the string or ring give way and found my chub or ring on the bottom floor of the smoker. I know there is a special butchers knot one can learn to tie which I've never learned to master. So I was wondering if anyone has ever thought of using a small plastic zip tie in combination with the twine? I have some small ones that I use to tie up my blackberry canes to the trellis wires which can be cinched down to a very small diameter. So I was thinking these would fit the bill nicely. Your thoughts please?
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Sep 05, 2012 04:53

Rick, not too long ago, one of our members did just that (used small plastic zip ties) and posted photos. He said they really worked well for him. They are back in the Sausage Photos forum (sticky) in "Sausages". I'll see if I can find them.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Last edited by Chuckwagon on Wed Sep 05, 2012 05:04, edited 1 time in total.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Sep 05, 2012 05:02

I think that may have been the constrictor knot.http://www.animatedknots.com/constricto ... dknots.com
Ross- tightwad home cook
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Wed Sep 05, 2012 06:15

I've used zip ties, and they worked if my knots worked. Otherwise, they hold but the sausage drops. :cry:

There is also the bubble knot. See slide 16 if this address works for you:

http://www.delmarlearning.com/companion ... %20PPT.ppt
Rick
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Rick » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:40

Thanks guys, I'll be sure to give the zip ties a try. I was able to see the bubble knot slide and that looks interesting also.
JerBear
Passionate
Passionate

Post by JerBear » Wed Sep 05, 2012 18:56

The bubble knot is the traditional knot to hang meats for curing and should be able to hold a good deal of weight (easily up to 3 lbs).
JerBear
Passionate
Passionate

Post by JerBear » Wed Sep 05, 2012 18:59

I just looked at the link Carbonaia posted and that's a little different from my recolection of a bubble knot. That said just because it's different doesn't mean it's any less effective, just different. Here's a link to the one that I'm more familiar with:

Ruhlman/Polcyn Salumi
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Sep 05, 2012 19:18

Cabonaia wrote:I've used zip ties, and they worked if my knots worked. Otherwise, they hold but the sausage drops. :cry:

There is also the bubble knot. See slide 16 if this address works for you:

http://www.delmarlearning.com/companion ... %20PPT.ppt
This knot has a good lead and the casing should fail before the knot fails. It is quite similar to a sailors sheetbend which is used when a failure would be very inconvenient.
Ross- tightwad home cook