Two Excel Spread Sheets That Will Help

Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Two Excel Spread Sheets That Will Help

Post by Devo » Sat Sep 15, 2012 04:01

A friend of mine made these spread sheets and I find them very useful.
Here is a base excel spread sheet that will recalculate your spices for different batch sizes.
It will allow you to change sausage batch sizes and all the spices are recalculated for you, including the cure weights.
Just down load it from google docs. and put in your own recipe.
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1ttuCf ... UxQkk/edit

And here is a excel spread sheet for a spice conversion file. It is to change everything to grams.
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1ttuCf ... dHNkk/edit
You will have to have a gram scale but they are rather cheap and you will have to convert your recipes to grams but I have provided a conversion chart for that. Converting things to weights allows the sheet to recalculate the spice weights as you change batch sizes. Just remember you need to go to FILE in the upper left hand corner and hit DOWNLOAD.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Sep 15, 2012 05:01

I think that I prefer my hand held calculator.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Devo » Sat Sep 15, 2012 05:09

ssorllih wrote:I think that I prefer my hand held calculator.
Oh really......Than you just go for it there Ross. I'm sure your very happy with your way of doing things but others might find this very useful.
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 07:16

Hi Devo,
Thank you, anything that helps me and stops me making stuff-ups with ingredient quantities is extremely welcome.
My biggest problem is that I always have so much on my mind, I never can switch off completely, my mind always does 1000 miles per hour.
Thanks Mate,
Regards,
Jan.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Sep 15, 2012 15:37

Because I keep a note book with one page for each batch of sausage that I make It is easy to determine the ratio of the new batch to the one kilogram standard recipe. When I know the ratio then it is a simple matter of multiplying the ratio times the weight of each spice ingredient in the one kilogram recipe and writing it in the book. The when I weigh the ingredient I place a check mark next to that item.

For example, since I don't have a metric scale for large loads, my meats weights are always in pound and ounces. So a 3 pound 7 ounce piece of meat becomes 3&7/16 pounds or 3.44 pounds. one kilogram is 2.2 pounds so 3.44/2.2=1.56 and that is the ratio of my batch to the book recipe. Therefore I enter 1.56 in the memory on my calculator and use that as the multiplier for each ingredient.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Devo » Sat Sep 15, 2012 16:22

Well good for you Ross, you seem to be a very talented person. That excel sheet is for people who are not as talented as you are. This is a good way for someone just starting out not to make mistakes. There are programs on the market that charge an arm and a leg that do the same thing and all I'm doing is giving the beginners and the old ones who have brain f*rt something easy as pie to keep track of there recipes for free. This can be printed out for fast reference and you can check off your spices as you go along also.

ssorllih wrote:Because I keep a note book with one page for each batch of sausage that I make It is easy to determine the ratio of the new batch to the one kilogram standard recipe. When I know the ratio then it is a simple matter of multiplying the ratio times the weight of each spice ingredient in the one kilogram recipe and writing it in the book. The when I weigh the ingredient I place a check mark next to that item.

For example, since I don't have a metric scale for large loads, my meats weights are always in pound and ounces. So a 3 pound 7 ounce piece of meat becomes 3&7/16 pounds or 3.44 pounds. one kilogram is 2.2 pounds so 3.44/2.2=1.56 and that is the ratio of my batch to the book recipe. Therefore I enter 1.56 in the memory on my calculator and use that as the multiplier for each ingredient.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Sep 15, 2012 16:42

WOW! I can use 500 dollars worth of computer hardware or a five dollar calculator to help me with a simple arithmatic problem that can be done with pencil and paper. You really know how the world works today Devo.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Devo » Sat Sep 15, 2012 17:17

Hey Ross your right I do. Some of us are
Image old men and some of us just really don't care. Image
Baconologist
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Baconologist » Sat Sep 15, 2012 17:21

I use a free calculator (and free spreadsheet) on a free computer!!! LOL

Devo.....Thanks for taking the time to post the above files, I'm sure that some will find them very useful.
Godspeed!

Bob
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Sep 15, 2012 18:21

Devo, This shows that YOU'RE perfectly correct to have YOUR own point of view. Some of us have gotten old before our time.
Ross- tightwad home cook
atcNick
Passionate
Passionate

Post by atcNick » Sat Sep 15, 2012 23:04

-Nick
Custom R&O Smoker
Cedar Smokehouse
Weber Performer
Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle
Weber 18" WSM
Weber Smokey Joe
Lang 84 Deluxe w/chargriller SOLD
Cinder Block Smokehouse RETIRED
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Sep 15, 2012 23:22

Funny!!
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Oct 09, 2012 07:56

Spamming post deleted by CW - 10.09.12 - Material promoting commercial sales will be deleted.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D