Art words and jargon

ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Art words and jargon

Post by ssorllih » Tue Sep 18, 2012 02:29

In our modern usage of language we can have a tendency to be rather casual in our attention to precise use of words and symbols.
Temperature is the first on my list. We are an international forum and some of us use the celsius scale and some use the Fahrenheit scale. So when we post we ought to be careful to add the "F." or the "C."
Next comes in the same category of pounds and ounces versus kilograms and grams.
This is the easy part.
The next part requires some diligence. PH refers to the degree of acidity or alkalinity with 7 being neutral.
RH refers to relative humidity. RH is the amount of water vapor in the air at any given temperature.
There is another term called absolute humidity which refers to the amount of water vapor per cubic volume of air without regard to the temperature.
In fermented sausage making we have a term called available water which refers to the water that may be used by bacteria for curing or spoiling or for growing pathogenic bacteria. As te availabe water "WA " drops below 86% the spoilage and pathogenic bacteria become inactive and the bacteria for preservaing the sausage remain active.
It is quite important that we carefully use the correct terms and placement of decimal points when make inquiries about our sausage.

Just as it is important to use their, they're and there when we are trying to express our selves, yore, your, you're the only person who can control this.
Ross- tightwad home cook
ursula
Passionate
Passionate

art words and jargon

Post by ursula » Tue Sep 18, 2012 03:20

Hear, here!
Well said Ross!
I had a lot of trouble thinking in terms of Fahrenheit and pounds and ounces. I was lucky enough to find electronic scales which deal in both and a good calculator.
The brain was getting quite a workout!
Ursula