de-boning a pork butt

orf
User
User

de-boning a pork butt

Post by orf » Wed Nov 14, 2012 17:00

Just thought I'd ask if someone had some pic's or tip's of removing the bone from a butt? with its odd shape I thought some might find it hard to do. I just follow around the bone with the tip of my knife till I remove it but I'm sure someone here is an old pro at it and would like to share their method.orf...
there are no stupid questions but some of mine come pretty close
nuynai
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nuynai » Wed Nov 14, 2012 18:23

Orf, if there's a better way, I'd like to know also. It's not rocket science. Sharp knife, follow the bone and pull meat way as you go. Clean off whatever you don't want to use and dispose of the rest.
IMHO, all the animals can be processed following the above formula. Good luck.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Nov 14, 2012 20:47

Knowing the shape of the bone when you start is helpful. The raised "fin" runs at about 30 degrees to the cut end of the blade back to the ball joint where the humerus joins from the picnic. Then knowing this you can rather boldly start at the cut on the blade and slide you knifein along the bone starting near the edge and slicing towards the fin. The fin has a small curl that you can follow. The top of the fin is close to the surface and just under the fat on the skin side. I usually stop there and make a cut from the other side and follow the bone up the fin. Then I slide my knife under the blade and meet my first cuts. At that point the blade is almost completely free and the socket attachment needs to be severed.
Ross- tightwad home cook
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Thu Nov 15, 2012 08:33

Let youtube be your friend, they helped me a few years ago and they will do the same for you, watch it over and over till you get it, it works. Same with twisting and tying sausage, different link, youtube is great.

This will get you started, follow your blade and be careful. RAY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZ1h14hAnpc
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Nov 15, 2012 09:31

That's a pretty good video Ray, thanks for posting.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Nov 15, 2012 13:49

He does it just the way I do. Good video. After removing the bone there are many ways to use the meat.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Nov 15, 2012 14:36

Hey guys, the University Of Nebraska has put out a 3-D tool for learning purposes. It is one of the slickest tools I've ever seen for learning about skeletal and muscle structure of an animal. It shows first hand, exactly what the primal cuts are and much more. Be sure not to miss it. Check it out at this link: http://porcine.unl.edu/porcine2005/page ... mal&hs=Ham

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Last edited by Chuckwagon on Fri Nov 16, 2012 07:51, edited 1 time in total.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
orf
User
User

Post by orf » Thu Nov 15, 2012 14:54

that's about what I do also.great video.CW I can't open the link you posted .orf...
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Nov 16, 2012 07:52

orf
User
User

Post by orf » Fri Nov 16, 2012 14:34

CW that one worked.pretty cool stuff.orf...
Baconologist
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Baconologist » Sun Nov 18, 2012 22:05

If you separate the butt into two pieces along the natural seam, it partially exposes the blade bone making deboning much easier. It also exposes connective tissue for removal, if that's your thing.

Godspeed!

Bob