FOOD POISONING Incident

ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

FOOD POISONING Incident

Post by ssorllih » Sat Mar 23, 2013 16:51

I have a friend (yeah ! I know that's hard to believe) whose 9 year old son was sickened by food poisoning derived from a boiled egg that he ate a reinactment gathering a couple of weeks ago. With considerable medical care and some antibiotics he is recovering.
I am wondering if when peeled boiled eggs are offered at an open table gathering if they should be first dipped into vodka and them dropped into a salt, vinegar pickle until they are put out for consumtion?
Ross- tightwad home cook
redzed

Post by redzed » Sat Mar 23, 2013 17:10

I think salmonella poisoning from eggs is more common than we think. The vodka bath is interesting but not that easy to implement into practice. Besides, a large chunk of the population do not consume alcohol. Refrigerate, cook thoroughly and consume soon after cooking.
http://www.cdc.gov/features/salmonellaeggs/
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Mar 23, 2013 18:17

My thought is/was to peel the cooked egg and drop into the alcohol for a few seconds and then into the vinegar brine for cold storage. The alcohol would kill most bacteria and the acidic brine would inhibit the growth of any residule colonies.
Ross- tightwad home cook
JerBear
Passionate
Passionate

Post by JerBear » Sun Mar 24, 2013 23:18

alcohol might kill the majority of pathogens but wouldn't destroy any residual toxins. Alcohol and acid are just band-aids, it's better to keep them safe during the cooking, handling before serving and hold on ice when out. Personally I don't eat eggs at picnics, just too dicey. Also, the mayo is a very nice place for pathogens to grow....