Yellow mustard

ciechowy

Yellow mustard

Post by ciechowy » Thu Jun 06, 2013 09:38

I gone through the BBQ section on this forum and saw that many interesting recipes require Yellow Mustard. Such kind of mustard is not available in Poland. I assume that Yellow Mustard may be substituted by another one. Would someone be so kind to describe the taste of Yellow Mustard ? Is it finely grinded or not ? Any special ingredients ? I will try to chose the most similar in order to be maximally aligned with the original recipes.
Regards
ciechowy
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:23

Hi Ciechowy! How are you pal?
Our American ballpark mustard is an entirely different product from those more "refined" mustards with which you are undoubtedly more familiar. Simply stated, our yellow mustard is made from white mustard seeds blended with sugar and vinegar then colored with turmeric.

Canada grows 90% of all the mustard seed for the international market and in the United States, mustard is the second most used spice, following black pepper. What is it about mustard that causes it to deliver such a strong bite? The mustard plant, a member of the cabbage family, has seeds containing two sulphur compounds, myrosin and sinigrin, as well as an enzyme called myrosinase. When the seeds are broken and the enzyme is activated by cold water, mustard`s familiar bite occurs as a chemical reaction takes place between the two sulphur compounds. Chinese hot mustard is made with seeds dried sufficiently to form a powder when crushed. The more it is stirred or agitated, the more chemical reaction takes place between the myrosin and the sinigrin and the hotter mustard becomes. Locate Chinese mustard flour in an Asian market, add cold water, mix the stuff, and wait about fifteen minutes for the reaction to reach its peak and fully develop. After that, the mustard`s strength will slowly begin to decline. If you're not going to use it immediately, add any acidic vinegar or rice wine to the mustard to stop the reaction. Some folks argue that this treatment hides some of the mustard's flavor although it prevents the loss of its sharp edge. If you`d like hot mustard not quite as pungent, add salad oil to the mustard powder. Hot mustard's raw bite goes well with most Chinese appetizers, and is the perfect accompaniment for egg rolls. Our outfit seems to prefer "hot-sweet" mustard so we often use a Chinese hot mustard flour base combined with a little brown sugar and a bit of Chardonnay wine. Our recipe for "Canyon Country Mustard" is also made with ground seeds once in a while, just to add some texture.

Prepared mustards are toned down using such additives as wheat flour. The actual flavor of prepared mustard depends upon a number of factors, including the type of seeds used, how they are processed, and the spices added. Bordeaux mustard is made from black mustard seeds blended with unfermented wine. The seeds are not husked, producing a strong, aromatic, dark brown mustard often flavored with tarragon. The English, blending flavorful brown seeds with less pungent white mustard seeds, produce Colman`s dry mustard powder. English hot mustard is made from white seeds, and is sometimes mixed with wheat flour for bulk and turmeric for color. German mustard varies in strength and is usually a smooth blend of vinegar and black mustard. Weisswurstsenf is a course grained, pale, mild mustard made to accompany veal sausages like Bratwurst. Meaux mustard is the partly crushed - partly ground black seed mixed with vinegar, producing a crunchy, hot mustard. France's world famous, pale yellow, Dijon mustard ranges from mild to very hot. It`s made with strong brown or husked black mustard seeds, verjuice (the juice of unripened grapes), and a white wine or wine vinegar, cloves, cinnamon and other seasonings. The seasonings give Dijon a distinctive taste, worlds apart from the plain yellow mustard you squirt on your hotdog during the seventh-inning stretch. Yup Ciechowy, American ballpark mustard is an entirely different product made from white mustard seeds blended with sugar and vinegar then colored with turmeric. No matter how you cut the mustard, it perks up bland foods. Why not try your hand at making your own special favorite?

"Canyon Country Mustard"
(Ranch Style Prepared Mustard)

2 oz. yellow mustard seeds
1/2 cup brown mustard seeds
1/2 cup white wine vinegar
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup Chardonnay wine
1 tblspn. ground turmeric
juice and zest of 2 lemons
1 tblspn. brown sugar
1/8 tspn. coarse uniodized salt
freshly ground black peppercorns

Grind the yellow mustard seeds inside a coffee grinder until they resemble coarse meal. Puree` the grounds in a food processor with the remaining ingredients. Allow the mustard to stand in your refrigerator as it improves dramatically within several days time. This mustard is a "hot-sweet" condiment. Some folks prefer to omit the brown sugar in the recipe, making the mustard a little more stout.

"Minnie Maud Mustard"
(Ranch Made Honey Mustard Condiment)

1/4 cup honey
1/2 cup dry mustard
1/2 cup white vinegar
1 tblspn. corn oil
1 tspn. salt
1/4 tspn. allspice
1/4 tspn. garlic powder
1/4 tspn. white pepper

Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and heat until thickened, stirring constantly. Allow the mixture to cool overnight in the refrigerator. Spread a little on slices of summer sausage and cheese on rye crackers.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ciechowy

Post by ciechowy » Thu Jun 06, 2013 13:40

Chuckwagon,
It looks like a PhD thesis !!! Many thanks. Maybe you are founder:
http://mustardmuseum.com/
:mrgreen:

I will try booth recipes, not only for BBQ purpose, they are quite simple.
So, may I use one of these homemade mustard for BBQ instead of yellow mustard ? I tune up myself to make my first BBQ brisket :lol: .

Could you explain what does it mean:
Chuckwagon wrote:1/2 cup dry mustard
This is a usual mustard from the shop with ordinary, neutral taste ? "Dry" means "waterless" or something like "dry wine" ?
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Jun 06, 2013 14:02

Dry mustard is the seed or crushed seed as compared to the mixture of ingredients that we refer to as prepared mustard. When there are names or terms preceeding the word mustard it usually discribes the type of recipe used to prepare the mustard for use as a condiment.
Ross- tightwad home cook
unclebuck
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by unclebuck » Thu Jun 06, 2013 15:30

I crush my own yellow, oriental, & brown mustard seed to make various mustard condiments, glazes, & rubs, depending upon how pungent we want the end product. The yellow seed is the mildest, with the oriental being the strongest. I use the seed in my sausage making, again interchangeably, depending on the desired flavour outcome. The seed comes from my farm in Saskatchewan.
"What can't be smoked can't be eaten."
redzed

Post by redzed » Thu Jun 06, 2013 19:59

Witam ciechowy!

What is referred to as yellow mustard in most barbecue sauce recipes is dry or ground white mustard seeds. White mustard (Sinapis alba) is not really white but usually a yellowish brown colour. And I think that is where the confusion arises. I grew up and lived in an area of Saskatchewan where it was cultivated extensively. In most instances when we buy this product in North America it is finely ground to a consistency much like flour. In Poland you can buy this product as gorczyca biała mielona. .

Some people also use in the recipes the common prepared yellow mustard that Chuckwagon described above. It is highly processed, but smooth and creamy and my favourite on a hot dog. And it has that bright yellow colour because of the addition of turmeric, as CW pointed out, or other food colourants. In Poland some of the varieties sold as musztarda stołowa compare closely to it.

Pozdrowienia
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Jun 07, 2013 08:29

In Poland you can buy this product as gorczyca biała mielona.
Hey hey, Chris, it's nice to have someone on our forum who speaks the Polish language! :grin: I would like to be able to tell Malgos (Margaret) in Poland that every time I look at her photo, my heart rate and respiration go wild! Hmmmm.... how would I say.... "Malgos, you are a foxy lady" in Polish? Hmmm... on second thought... she would probably tell me to go jump in a bucket of mustard! :roll:
Hey guys, thanks for your response to Ciechowy's question. And Ciechowy, your English is superb. How many languages do you speak?

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ciechowy

Post by ciechowy » Fri Jun 07, 2013 23:23

redzed wrote:Witam ciechowy!
Witam redzed !
I gone through your post on Polish forum and I am really impressed with your home production !
And many thanks for your explanation, gorczyca biała mielona is of course available in Poland and now I understand how it relates to yellow mustard.

Many thanks for all of you who help me to understand the mystery of yellow mustard. :shock:
Chuckwagon wrote:I would like to be able to tell Malgos (Margaret) in Poland that every time I look at her photo, my heart rate and respiration go wild! Hmmmm.... how would I say....
How would you say ? It depends on what are you going to achieve. Are you going to get married with her or maybe you'd like to pick up a girl, have some fun, abuse and then abandon ? :lol:

Nevertheless, "foxy lady" here in Poland has a sexual context so it may be too aggressive for a first date with a girl and the scenario with jumping in a bucket of mustard is quite real. :cry:

It depends also on who is the girl you are going to pick up. In case she is a sweet and stupid blonde, you may try the following: "no one will give you as many as I can promise you". :mrgreen:
But if you hit a smart and clever girl, for one hundred percent she will push you in a bucket of mustard ! Yellow or foxy mustard.

To be honest, I don`t know how to break the girl`s heart in English. I done it only once more than twenty years ago using Polish language and since that she is still my wife. I can say only that women like very much to hear a word "darling".

Uppsss, it's very interesting how quickly we`ve moved from the discussion regarding the yellow mustard to picking up the foxy ladies.

Chuckwagon wrote:How many languages do you speak?
My native language is Polish, I use English in my job but my skills still require to be improved. :oops: In elementary and high school I learned also Russian and German but there was no opportunity to use these languages in practice so I don't remember much.
I encourage you to learn Polish, this language is not so difficult, all children in Poland speak Polish. :wink:
Last edited by ciechowy on Fri Jun 07, 2013 23:28, edited 1 time in total.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Jun 08, 2013 06:03

Ciechowy,
Uppsss, it's very interesting how quickly we`ve moved from the discussion regarding the yellow mustard to picking up the foxy ladies.
:oops: oops! Well, we're already in Hyde Park so I can't split the topic, but I do wish to thank you for your answer. I certainly meant no disrespect. Malgos is one of the nicest people I've ever chatted with. (She speaks English very well). She just happens to be absolutely gorgeous!

Ciechowy, very often in the southern United States, people rub an entire pork shoulder (called a "Boston Butt") with yellow mustard. They put it on thick, thick, thick... and then barbecue cook it for many hours at a low temperature of only about 76° C. It comes out black and delicious! It's hard to believe, but it is incredible.

Something else you might try is a "mustard slaw". If you visit Memphis in Tennessee, you might find a wonderful sweet, tangy-sharp, mustard coleslaw dressing. Here is a "secret" recipe just for you.

Memphis Marvelous Mustard Slaw

1 small head of cabbage
1 small red bell pepper
1/4 cup yellow mustard
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup distilled vinegar
1/2 tspn. celery seed
1/2 tspn. freshly ground black pepper
salt to taste

Core the cabbage and toss it. Finely chop the cabbage and the bell pepper for slaw. Mix the remaining ingredients together and stir it into the chopped cabbage and pepper.
(The credit for this particular recipe should be given to author Steven Raichlen of BBQ-USA).
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Jun 08, 2013 13:55

In the interest of clarity When Chuckwagom writes," core the cabbage and toss it" he means that you should discard the core of the cabbage. ;)
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:54

Gosh, I remember once... Ross cored the cabbage then tossed ME out of the chuckwagon! :roll:
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Jun 09, 2013 13:46

Yup! That's exactly what happened.
Ross- tightwad home cook