Dairy-free Bockwurst.

RLH3

Dairy-free Bockwurst.

Post by RLH3 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 22:44

I have been making various kinds of sausage for about six months now, (sweet and hot Italian, Hot-smoked polish, bulk and stuffed breakfast, all received rave reviews BTW) and this morning my wife asked me to make some Bockwurst.

So, being the good little geek that I am, I headed for the computer and checked WD, and found a nice recipe for Bock on the recipes page. Well this doesn't look to bad...uh oh...THERE's a problem.

The issue is that my sons are both allergic to dairy, and the recipe calls for 100ml of whole milk per 1000g of meat. Any suggestions for a substitution for the milk?

I do have some soy protein concentrate on hand, would this work? and if so in what sort of quantity?
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 01:59

Hi,
I bet your sons are dinking a dairy substitute such a soymilk. Use that instead of the 100 ml of whole milk. Soy protein concentrate is use differently.
Good luck with the Bockwurst.
Cheers,
Jan.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Jun 28, 2013 04:29

For just a little while i was thinking kosher and not mixing meat and dairy.
Ross- tightwad home cook
RLH3

Post by RLH3 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 08:05

Thanks for the idea. I will try almond milk, as I believe it has a similar fat content to whole milk. I will try to remember to report back.
crustyo44 wrote:Hi,
I bet your sons are dinking a dairy substitute such a soymilk. Use that instead of the 100 ml of whole milk. Soy protein concentrate is use differently.
Good luck with the Bockwurst.
Cheers,
Jan.