Help in making emulsified sausages

Elad690

Help in making emulsified sausages

Post by Elad690 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 08:48

Hi All,
today was my 4th attempet of making emulsified sausages and it
was also my 4th failure, I did everything by the book (I think...), i ground
the cold meat twice and sepertly from the fat, i used a powerfull food processor in a small batches, add the fat last and used ice cold water through the whole process but still i end up
with a grainy mixture, meats and fat are all beef due to kosher reasons, maybe a lamb fat will be better?
can someone tell me what i'm doing wrong???
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Fri Nov 22, 2013 18:24

Wow Elad that has to be frustrating!

You should try grinding with a small (3mm - 1/8") plate, or the smallest that you have. The fine plate makes a BIG difference.

More fat will make it "smoother" or more spreadable depending on the type you are making.
Igor Duńczyk
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Igor Duńczyk » Sat Nov 23, 2013 01:00

Shalom Elad!

My experience is that unless you have a real (professional) bowl cutter at disposal it is, a real challenge to make a smooth emulsion with beef fat.
You could try to pre melt the fat so it will be more smooth with no excess tissue and freeze it. It may reduce the feeling of graininess, but hardly make it dissapear.
Or simply use another source. Chicken fat will emulgate far more easily but is very volatile and should also be hard frozen in small pieces - or grinded on 3 mm and frozen again before adding it to the mince if you want to emulgate it thoroughly. End temperature should stay on the safe side of 12 degrees.
Otherwise there is palm oil if you don´t mind adding a vegetable ingredient.
Wishing you a Good Day!
Igor The Dane
markjass
Passionate
Passionate

Post by markjass » Mon Nov 25, 2013 06:36

I have not had major difficulties so far with this type of sausage. I make small batches of sausages. Usually 1-2kg. I also have a large and powerful mixer and blender. If I did not have these my methodolgy would be protracted and rather slow.

I keep everything semi frozen. I grind the meat and fat together through my smallest plate. I do it in small batches and return the mix to my freezer. I use very cold water and mix the herbs etc up in it so that it is a slurry. finally I mix it together in my mixer then use the blender.

Mark
Do no harm. Margerine is the biggest food crime
redzed

Post by redzed » Mon Nov 25, 2013 22:21

Elad, I have always noticed a difference in texture between commercial pork wieners and all beef wieners. The latter are always a bit more grainy in texture, so perhaps it is not always possible to make an emulsified product made out of beef that will be the same as if it were made out of pork. I also can't understand why you are grinding the fat separate from the meat? Grinding it together will result it a better mix and that is what you want. Rather than trying to emulsify the meat, grind it two, or maybe even three time through a 3mm plate. Just keep the meat very cold before each grind. You should be able to obtain something that will be very very close to an emulsified product. I do that when I make liver sausage. Let us know of you progress since we learn from the trials and efforts of fellow forum participants.
Elad690

Post by Elad690 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 19:03

Thank you all for your tips, i'll give
It another try soon and hopefully this try will
Be a succsess.