Anyone have a Mennonite Farmer sausage Recipe

fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Anyone have a Mennonite Farmer sausage Recipe

Post by fatboyz » Wed Sep 01, 2021 14:37

Hey fellas, been hankering for some Mennonite Farmer sausage to make a classic Mennonite soup I used to eat in Northern Alberta. The soup was called Summa Borscht, basically a cream of potato soup with lots of fresh dill and chunks of Farmers sausage. Red and AlbertaEd probably have had some in the past. I used to get the sausage at a small Mennonite town in Northern Alberta called La Crete. The sausage is a very simple one with mostly salt, pepper and cure. It is smoked but not cooked ready to eat.
Anyone have a recipe?
Leesel
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Anyone have a Mennonite Farmer sausage Recipe

Post by Leesel » Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:29

That sounds delicious! Smokey sausage and a hearty soup yum
redzed

Re: Anyone have a Mennonite Farmer sausage Recipe

Post by redzed » Sat Sep 04, 2021 16:49

I don't think there is one definitive "Mennonite farmer sausage". When I lived in Saskatchewan I tried a few made by Mennonite farmers and it was usually a basic smoked, pork sausage. The sausage was smoked only to colour and not fully cooked. Not sure whether anything other than salt and pepper were used. Some added sugar and hung the sausage for a day at room temp to get some fermentation and tang. I also remember some used Morton Tender Quick. One dairy farmer who also raised a few Holstein steers each year would make his sausage with 50% beef.

I think for your borscht any smoked sausage could work. Come to think of it the Polish grilling sausage recipe I posted recently is not much different.