Sausages Around The World

Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Sausages Around The World

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Sep 08, 2011 08:50

As our buddy Jason Story (story28) gets ready to open his charcuterie shop in D.C. with his new bride-to-be, (see photo and story here: http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=5202), he`s asked me about the sausages I`ve tried at one time or another. I posted this list once on the English sausagemaking forum. Perhaps the members here could also think of a few I haven`t included. I`ve been trying to give Jason a hand with my limited knowledge. I hope he`s paying attention here as a smoked-sausage shop MUST include a variety of sausages. Over the years, I've tried some version of the following sausages. Some turned out well! Others would have choked a junk yard dog! I never could get used to Scottish haggis or French andouillette with tripe... although Mexican "Menudo" (hangover soup with tripe) is wonderful! Can you think of any of your favorites that you'd add to the list?

Common Sausages

Andouille, (Cajun ) pronounced ahn-dwee or ann-do-ee is a spicy, smoked Cajun sausage used in jambalaya and gumbo. It's not to be confused with the milder French Andouille sausage and it is not usually eaten by itself other than being served as appetizers.
Andouillette (pronounced ahn-dwee- yet) is a tripe (stomach lining) sausage and a smaller version of French Andouille sausage. This sausage is really quite different and takes some getting used to. However, some people have grown accustomed to its taste.
Bauerwurst is a chunky German farmer's sausage that's often grilled and served on a bun or cooked with sauerkraut.
Blood Sausages are made of pig's blood mixed with fat and sometimes a filler like breadcrumbs or rice. Sold precooked, flavors vary from region to region, including Louisiana's boudin, Germany's blutwurst, and Spanish morcilla.
Bockwurst is a mild, very perishable, German sausage made with pork, milk, eggs, chives and parsley. It must be cooked before serving.
Boerwurst is a spicy South African farmer's sausage, made with beef, pork, and pork fat, seasoned with coriander. It must be cooked before serving.
Boudin Blanc (pronounced boo-dahn-blahn) is a white, milk sausage made of pork, chicken, or veal and rice.
Boudin Rouge (Pronounced boo-dahn-roozh) is similar to boudin blanc, but includes pork blood.
Bratwurst is made with pork and sometimes veal, and seasoned with subtle spices. It usually needs to be cooked before eating.
Breakfast Sausage English links or patties heavily seasoned with sage and usually fried before serving. English Bangers are mild British pork breakfast sausages.
Chaurice (pronounced shore-eese) is a spicy pork sausage used in jambalaya and other Creole and Cajun dishes. Available in links or patties, it's hard to find outside of Louisiana.
Chipolata (pronounced chippo-lah-tuh) are as small as Vienna sausages, but much spicier.
Chorizo is fresh pork mixed with lots of spices. Don't confuse Mexican chorizo (needs to be cooked), with dry-cured Spanish chorizo.
Chourico (pronounced shore-ee-so) is a heavily seasoned Portuguese pork sausage.
Cotechino (pronounced koh-teh-kee-no) is a mild and fatty Italian pork sausage. Pierce the links before cooking to allow some of the fat to drain out. This is a no-no in preparing other sausages.
Cumberland Sausage is British pork sausage and usually made as a long coil, and sold by the length rather than the link. It's baked in the oven with cabbage and potatoes.
Frankfurters are hot dogs. Everybody knows all about America's favorite most popular "wieners". Note that in late1998 several people died after being exposed to Listeria, a deadly bacterium traced to some improperly prepared hot dogs and deli meats. Make your own or know your butcher!
Goetta is Ohio's answer to Pennsylvania scrapple. It's a mixture of fried oatmeal and sausage.
Haggis is a large Scottish sausage made by stuffing a sheep's stomach with the animal's heart, lungs, and liver, and then adding oatmeal, onion, fat, and seasonings. It's steam-cooked before serving.
Italian Sausage is a pork sausage flavored with garlic and fennel seed. Available in sweet, mild, or hot varieties in bulk or links, it is probably second only to the popularity of Polish Kielbasa.
Kielbasa is smoked Polish sausage made with pork and beef, flavored with garlic and marjoram.
Kishke (pronounced kish-kah) is a Jewish specialty consisting of beef intestines stuffed with matzo meal, onion, and suet.
Knockwurst is smoked beef sausage seasoned with lots of garlic. Cooked before eating, knockwurst is often served like hot dogs smothered in sauerkraut.
Kolbasz is Hungarian sausage similar to Polish kielbasa with paprika added to it.
Landjager is German "hunter" sausage of smoked beef, needs no refrigeration, and is handy to take on hunting trips.
Lop Chong is a Chinese dried pork sausage. It looks and feels like pepperoni but is much sweeter.
Linguica (pronounced lin-gwee-sah) is a fairly spicy Portuguese smoked garlic sausage, cooked before serving.
Longanisa is much like kielbasa.
Loukanika (pronounced loo-kah-nih-kah) is Greek sausage made with lamb, pork, and orange rind, cooked before serving.
Medisterpoelse Sausage is a Danish pork sausage, cooked before serving.
Merguez Sausage is North African lamb sausage seasoned with garlic and hot spices, often used in couscous dishes.
Mettwurst is soft and ready to eat like liverwurst. It's usually spread on crackers and bread.
Morcilla is the Spanish salty version of blood sausage, usually made with onion or rice as filler.
Pepperoni is a spicy sausage made with beef, pork, fennel, and caraway. It's hard, chewy, and edible right from the casing.
Pickled Pork is added to Louisiana bean dishes. It's simple to make from scratch.
Pinkelwurst is a German sausage made with beef, pork, onions, oat groats, and bacon. It's often served with potatoes.
Potato Korv is a Swedish pork sausage.
Salami is a fermented sausage usually dry cured. There are numerous recipes and types from every culture.
Scrapple is a Pennsylvania Dutch specialty of sausage and cornmeal often slowly fried and served with eggs and grits.
Sujuk is a spicy Lebanese beef sausage similar to salami.
Tocino is Spanish for bacon. In the Philippines, it refers to cured pork marinated in a sweet red sauce.
Toulouse Sausage (pronounced too-looz) is French sausage usually made with pork, smoked bacon, wine, and garlic. It's a great sausage for casseroles.
Vienna Sausages are mild cocktail wieners.
Weisswurst are lightly colored, mildly seasoned, German veal sausages eaten with potato salad.

Perhaps our members have tried others and can add to the list?

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
story28
Passionate
Passionate

Post by story28 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 14:27

This is really cool CW. Thanks for reaching out! And thank you in advance for anyone for their contributions :smile: .

Going against progress, I actually have two items that I am looking for good method, practices and information on.

Lamb bacon- trying to figure out how to deal with that fat and greater surface to mass ratio to determine cure times.

N'duja- which is similar to sobresada or a spreadable sausage. I have seen variations that are aged for a year and others that are done in about 3 days.

And one for the sake of progress.

Ventreche- French style cured pork belly. Some say it is like unrolled pancetta/tesa, but I would like to mention that it is typically consumed thinly sliced and served without cooking, which is a huge departure than pancetta's typical use.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Sep 08, 2011 16:39

Ross- tightwad home cook
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Thu Sep 08, 2011 23:46

story28 wrote: Lamb bacon- trying to figure out how to deal with that fat and greater surface to mass ratio to determine cure times.
As we all know, lamb has a very distinct flavor. Lamb bacon flavor is compounded immeasurably. You gotta really like lamb to buy lamb bacon in my humble opinion.
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Fri Sep 09, 2011 01:14

My attention is always drawn to the difference between "Bratwurst" and "Weisswurst".

As a kid I grew up with my parents buying meat from a German Butchery.
Bratwurst was a fresh sausage made from Veal and Pork. It is cooked on the grill.
Weisswurst was a pre-cooked sausage (in 160 deg F water) also made from Veal and Pork, and white in color. One could grill them just to brown or warm them in water.

Yet here in the wonderful south-east where I live, one buys "Cooked Bratwurst" and it is really Weisswurst.
And since "weiss" translated is "white", I keep on calling them Weisswurst and no one here knows what I mean. Then I tell them it's "Cooked Bratwurst" and everyone knows what I'm talking about.

:lol: So my conclusion is Bratwurst when cooked in water is (obviously!) Cooked Bratwurst, which really is Weisswurst, but then Weisswurst is really just Cooked Bratwurst, because Cooked Bratwurst looks and tastes just like Weisswurst, and then we can conclude than Weisswurst is actually Cooked Bratwurst but then Cooked Bratwurst is really Weisswurst. :roll:
Don't forget the Sauerkraut and Mustard!
Ron
story28
Passionate
Passionate

Post by story28 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 02:08

Dave Zac wrote:
story28 wrote: Lamb bacon- trying to figure out how to deal with that fat and greater surface to mass ratio to determine cure times.
As we all know, lamb has a very distinct flavor. Lamb bacon flavor is compounded immeasurably. You gotta really like lamb to buy lamb bacon in my humble opinion.
I agree with you there. Did you ever hear of Mario Batali's dad out in Seattle? Armandino Batali has come up with a lamb prosciutto, both from the leg, one as a bone-in and one boneless. I called them several months ago to ask what how they did it and wouldn't give any info. They said it has to do with the animal selection. I think they were using lamb with a corn diet or some other type to soften the fat or lower the fat content in the meat itself. I have never had it but it sounds interesting.

I did try Armandino's Mole' sausage the other day as well as some Mangalista lardo. The mole' sausage was sort of crumbly with an acidic Jamaican jerk flavor to it. The mangalista lardo which I was excited about, tasted a bit like crayon, as my fiance pointed out. However, the lardo did serve as a nice fat for sauteing some chicken :wink: