Hungarian Csabaii

JerBear
Passionate
Passionate

Post by JerBear » Tue Oct 04, 2011 02:20

ssorllih wrote:Jerbear there is no difference between powdered sugar and table sugar. It is all just the fineness og the grind. Once it has desolved it will be indistinguisable.
That's what I was thinking, thanks!
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Wed Oct 05, 2011 01:28

Last weekend I made some 4 lbs of this recipe converted to "Tablespoons" and "teaspoons".

1st hitch was I could not find hot Hungarian paprika around here so I substituted with a Chili mix for some kick.
2nd hitch was after converting from metric weights to our volume measuring, some quantities seemed "out" so I made my own adjustments.

This is a very good sausage recipe, next time round I would like to smoke some with Beech wood.
After the sausage takes a nap overnight and then grilled over charcoal, it has a wonderful flavor!
For me it's a keeper.

The spices for 4 lbs after conversion

All cut up and mixed for the first nap

The end of stuffing 4 lbs, I had a few small air pockets from stuffing but after linking they were hardly noticeable.

Linked off and I found no need to tie off, just twisting was good.
Ron
snagman
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by snagman » Wed Oct 05, 2011 01:59

Bubba wrote:This is a very good sausage recipe, next time round I would like to smoke some with Beech wood.
After the sausage takes a nap overnight and then grilled over charcoal, it has a wonderful flavor!
For me it's a keeper.
Well done Bubba ! I am happy you like the taste, you sure are a neat worker, it's a joy to see such attention to detail !
Regards
snagman
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by snagman » Wed Oct 05, 2011 04:55

By the way gents, there is a weight converter here:

www.weightlossresources.co.uk

Takes the guesswork out of it ....

Incidentally, icing sugar has about 3% cornstarch, thus adding the benefit of a binder to sausages. Many cuisines as a matter of course add sugar (not necessarily icing) to almost any dish, eg Thai, Chinese, which is used to meld flavours, and as a caramelising agent to stir fries, taking it out of the world of desserts into the savoury.
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 05:14

Bubba,
You will like these rippers even more if you smoke them. I prefer them smoked a mahogany colour. By the way, next batch give them also more Hungarian Paprika.
Regards,
Jan.
Brisbane.
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Thu Oct 06, 2011 00:14

snagman wrote:Well done Bubba ! I am happy you like the taste
Thank you Snagman! :smile: I will check the link out for conversions from weight.
crustyo44 wrote:You will like these rippers even more if you smoke them. next batch give them also more Hungarian Paprika

With the cooler weather arriving here now I can use the smoker I have at the moment because it will not get to high in temperature.
Compared to the quantity shown in the photo, after grinding and frying the taste piece, I had to add more Paprika (80% more than shown) and Chili (40% more than shown).
I should have mentioned that when I posted the photo. That made a huge difference.
Ron
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 00:40

Bubba,
I noticed that you have the same taste buds like me. This wonderful recipe lends it self very well to an increase in plain and hot hungarian paprika or chilli powder.
My first experiments made me stick to the earlier version of cutting the pork in small pieces and mixing it with the spices, salt and garlic and keeping it in the fridge for 3 days and then mincing it, followed by stuffing and again keeping it in the fridge overnight to bloom.
That's my way of doing it and it works rather well for me.
It really suits my Clogwog taste.
Regards,
Jan.
Brisbane.
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Thu Oct 06, 2011 01:18

crustyo44 wrote:I noticed that you have the same taste buds like me
:grin: Yes, a little kick with flavor makes my day!
crustyo44 wrote:It really suits my Clogwog taste.
May I ask what is a "Clogwog"? :lol:
Ron
toolmann
User
User

Post by toolmann » Thu Oct 06, 2011 15:36

i have bee helping/ making this sausage since i was a kid , its good sausage , especially with real hungarian paprika , wich got send to me from my relatives in germany
good job
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 00:20

Hi Robert/ BriCan,
Sometimes this slang is used not so affectionately, but really I don't give a sh--.
I don't pander to anybody. As always I have said what I thought and if people don't like it, well uppppemmm!!!!!!
Keep making these magnificent csabai snags. I am about ready to take them out of my smoke house.
Regards,
Jan.
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Mon Dec 19, 2011 13:23

The venison pork mix was ground Friday night and mixed with spices and cure. Sat in fridge until yesterday noon when I stuffed 32-34 mm hog casings and twisted 3-4" lengths and hung for another 3 hours.

Into the cold smoke with oak shavings for 2 hours and resting overnight. Will cold smoke again tonight for 2 hours and maybe again tomorrow. They will be boiled in a 170* bath until 155* on Friday morning and brought to work for a Christmas lunch.

I'm very excited about preparing this sausage for my co workers. I'm certain it will be a hit!

Dave
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Dec 19, 2011 23:22

Wow, I'm halfway through my second ten pound batch myself. Smoking them tonight. Great sausage!
May I offer a suggestion to our members? Please use only Hungarian paprika in this recipe as stated. The Spanish type paprika is too bitter. There's a reason why they call it SWEET Hungarian paprika.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Tue Dec 20, 2011 01:36

Chuckwagon wrote:Wow, I'm halfway through my second ten pound batch myself. Smoking them tonight. Great sausage!
May I offer a suggestion to our members? Please use only Hungarian paprika in this recipe as stated. The Spanish type paprika is too bitter. There's a reason why they call it SWEET Hungarian paprika.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Absolutely. Hungarian Sweet and Hungarian Hot. Can't wait :lol:
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Tue Dec 20, 2011 02:14

Dave Zac wrote:I'm certain it will be a hit!
Everyone I give a sample to loves it!

I eventually found some hot Hungarian paprika, and made a sample batch this weekend (smoking today because I'm using vacation days - use or loose before end December)

With the sweet (used in previous batches) and hot (first time this batch) Hungarian paprika it has just the right kick.
I guess if I had to insert the + and - probes of a multimeter into a link it would register about 24V DC. :roll:

And 2 of the samples in the photos below no longer exist because I heated them and ate them! :lol:

In the Smoker, starting with Beech wood

After cold shower and blooming

Ron
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:16

Bubba, you've outdone yourself!

DaveZac, you wrote:
They will be boiled in a 170* bath until 155* on Friday morning and brought to work for a Christmas lunch. I'm very excited about preparing this sausage for my co workers. I'm certain it will be a hit!
Will you be sure to let us know what your fellow workers said about the sausages? :smile:

Keep up the nice work folks,
Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D