[AUSL] Duck Neck Sausage

snagman
Frequent User
Frequent User

[AUSL] Duck Neck Sausage

Post by snagman » Tue Oct 25, 2011 05:19

If you have access to the skin of a duck, this is a very nice way to use it and at the same time give your family and friends a rare treat. From Europe, where tradition dictates that no part of an animal is wasted, the neck skin is used as the casing for ingredients within.

500g pork mince
Thyme 1/2 Teaspoon
Salt
Black pepper
Cinnamon a pinch
Bacon 1/4 Cup chopped finely
Garlic pressed 1 Clove
Pistachios 1/4 Cup - roughly chopped

Combine ingredients, leave in fridge 4 hours. Taste mix and adjust seasoning. Tie off one end of the skin with string and fill mix into neck. It will expand as you fill, make it fairly stiff, and tie other end. Trim off loose skin at each end to tidy up. String needs to be wound around to securely tie the sausage. Careful not to cut the skin by overtightening the string.
I prefer confit, so they were simmered in goose fat for three hours. If that isn't to your liking, omit this step. Cooked this way, they will remain in the cold fat for months, but it is unlikely to be allowed that chance. To serve, finish cooking in a medium hot pan turning frequently until golden brown and crisp. If not able to buy neck skin, I think chicken neck skin would also be ok to use.
The filling, in combination with the crispy duck skin is a beautiful thing to eat, both as a main meal, or as a snack, sliced when cooked.
I recommend this to the forum, especially if you have the time and access to the neck skin.
Regards,
Gus

Simmered in goose fat, just bubbling - duck fat is also good to use

The finished sausage

Thanks for looking
Last edited by snagman on Fri Jan 13, 2012 03:14, edited 1 time in total.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:04

Hey Gus! That looks terrific. I can almost taste it. I'll bet it has more cholesterol in it than a heart surgeon's medical manual. Thanks for sharing.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Oct 25, 2011 13:28

My friend Sol Goldberg said that he East European mother would stuff the skin of the chicken neck when she made a meal of chicken. He said that she could make a seven course meal from a chicken. Of course that was during the time when chickens came from the market with only the feathers and the squawk removed.
Snagman ,I love goose fat but it is like gold to but here in the states and goose is 5.50 USD per pound. It is as you know very low in saturated fat.
That filling looks wonderful.
Ross- tightwad home cook
snagman
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by snagman » Thu Oct 27, 2011 06:50

Hey Ross,

If you are able to buy goose, that's a big step ahead of Oz, not available here at all. I buy goose fat in tins imported from France, $13.00 for 350g. Lucky it can be reused many times and lasts for a long time !
I have friends who are aghast that the roast potatoes which they so loved were cooked in goose fat......... I really like telling them that after they have scoffed the lot !

Regards, Gus
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Oct 27, 2011 15:25

Goose fat uses up real fast when you make pie pastry with it. But it sure is good.
Ross- tightwad home cook
canadianwildman
Beginner
Beginner

Post by canadianwildman » Thu Oct 27, 2011 19:35

Snagman, that looks & sounds too good to be legal anywhere in the world!! :mrgreen:
I know some duck hunters that are going to LOVE this Idea :grin: Way to go man
snagman
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by snagman » Thu Oct 27, 2011 22:56

ssorllih wrote:Goose fat uses up real fast when you make pie pastry with it. But it sure is good.
Ross,
I would like your pastry recipe using goose fat please ! Now !
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Oct 27, 2011 23:27

Put the flour into the freezer and the fat in the fridge. 3 to 4 cup of all purpose white flour and a teaspoon of salt (6Gm ) One cup of fat. Work very quickly and rub the fat into the flour with your fingers. Add abou 2/3 cup of very cold water and blend it in with a dinner fork or knife. When the dough comes together as a ball knead it to compact it and put it back to chill. After a half hour or more you can roll it out.
As you know goose fat and chicken fat is liquid at 70 F and you want the fat to be solid so that it doesn't soak into the flour. Chicken fat may be used the same way but goose fat makes to best. I suggest practice with chicken fat first.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Thu Oct 27, 2011 23:29

snagman wrote:I would like your pastry recipe using goose fat please
Ditto here, I would appreciate the recipe as well. :)
Ron
snagman
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by snagman » Thu Oct 27, 2011 23:35

ssorllih wrote:Put the flour into the freezer and the fat in the fridge. 3 to 4 cup of all purpose white flour and a teaspoon of salt (6Gm ) One cup of fat. Work very quickly and rub the fat into the flour with your fingers. Add abou 2/3 cup of very cold water and blend it in with a dinner fork or knife. When the dough comes together as a ball knead it to compact it and put it back to chill. After a half hour or more you can roll it out.
As you know goose fat and chicken fat is liquid at 70 F and you want the fat to be solid so that it doesn't soak into the flour. Chicken fat may be used the same way but goose fat makes to best. I suggest practice with chicken fat first.
Ross,
Thank you for that speedy response ! I have guests this weekend, 'ahma gonna do this pastry for an apple pie.
Regards,
Gus
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Oct 27, 2011 23:52

Freeze the flour now. it can't be too cold.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Oct 28, 2011 04:59

Hi Ross and Snaggo,
I'll be putting both recipes in our MRI index - just to let you know. I always wait a bit then add several items at a time. Thanks for both recipes!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon

Note: To be placed into the Member's Recipe Index, a recipe must of course, be submitted by a member and it must list all ingredients and preparation steps. Recipes may be subject to testing before being posted.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
snagman
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by snagman » Fri Oct 28, 2011 05:23

Chuckwagon wrote:Hi Ross and Snaggo,
I'll be putting both recipes in our MRI index - just to let you know. I always wait a bit then add several items at a time. Thanks for both recipes!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon

Note: To be placed into the Member's Recipe Index, a recipe must of course, be submitted by a member and it must list all ingredients and preparation steps. Recipes may be subject to testing before being posted.
Hi Chuckwagon,

I am trying Ross's pastry tomorrow, I'll post the finished product then. Do you think I ought to encase a duck neck sausage in his pastry for a double whammy ? IT would be a definite first no ? Combine two recipes into one......hmmmmm - Problem is I am out of necks.

Regards, Gus
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Oct 28, 2011 05:38

Wow, that sounds good to me. And definitely a first too. What about you Ross?
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:53

seems like gilding the lily to me. The duck neck sausage doesn't need any help from my point of view.
Ross- tightwad home cook