[USA] Bockwurst & Käsewurst Weekend

NorCal Kid
Passionate
Passionate

[USA] Bockwurst & Käsewurst Weekend

Post by NorCal Kid » Thu Dec 08, 2011 00:35

I decided to make a couple of batches of fresh sausage this past weekend as I had most of the ingredients handy. I'll be making 'bockwurst'-a sausage I've made previously back in May with good results. The other is 'Käsewurst' ('cheese sausage'). Both batches will be about 5 pounds.

Recipe for the Bockwurst:
German Pork & 'veal' Sausage

INGREDIENT (METRIC) U.S.

Pork Butt (1800g)...........4 lbs
Pork Fat (200g)............1/2 lb
Veal/Chicken (450g)...........1lb (* I used chicken thighs in place of veal this time)
Heavy Cream (470g)...... 2 cups
NF Dry Milk (50g)......... 2/3 cup
Kosher Salt (35g) ............5 tsp
Onion Powder (12g) ..........4 tsp
Dextrose (10g)................ 1 Tbs
White Pepper (7.0g)..........1 Tbs
Ginger (2.0g).....................1 tsp
Mace (2.0g)........................1 tsp
Parsley-dried (1.5g)........... 1 Tbs
Celery Seed- crushed (1.3g)....1/2 tsp

Grind all well-chilled meats and porkfat using a medium (4.5mm) plate. Add dry ingredients followed by the cream. Mix thoroughly until a tacky meat paste is formed.
Option 1: Emulsify in batches in a food processor until a smooth, even paste is achieved; adding ice chips or ice water to keep paste from 'heating up.' Do not overload the processor!
Option 2: Grind the meat paste a second time through a FINE plate (3.0mm). NOTE: I found this method to be much faster than using a processor. No additional water or ice needed.
Stuff into 32mm natural casings. Refrigerate overnight to allow flavors to meld. Ready to cook & serve at this stage OR poach sausage in 160-165° waterbath until the internal sausage temp reaches 165° (this is critical if using poultry instead of veal). Wurst can be safely kept in refrigerator or freezer. Stream, pan-fry or grill before serving.

Recipe for Käsewurst
Swiss Cheese Sausage

INGREDIENT (METRIC) U.S.

Pork Butt/Shoulder (2050g).......4.5 lbs
Emmenthaler Cheese (450g)........1 Lb
Salt (33g).............................4-1/2 tsp
Garlic granules (12g) ...................4 tsp
Black Pepper (4.2g)......................2 tsp
Herbs d' Provence (4.0g)..............4 tsp
Allspice (2.0g).............................1 Tsp
Thyme (0.7g)............................1/2 tsp

Cut cheese in 1/4-inch cubes. Set aside & chill until needed.
Grind meat through medium to large plate.
Add spices & garlc to meat & blend thoroughly.
Regrind through smaller plate (optional)- I skipped this step.
Add in cubed cheese, mixing well to disperse cheese in the meat paste.
Stuff into 38mm casings; tie off in 8" lengths (traditional). I made mine about 1/2 that length.
Poach in 160° water for 20 minutes.
Grill or pan fry in butter to serve.

Previously when I made bockwurst, I used a combo of pork & veal. For the sake of convenience this time, I'm using chicken dark meat in place of the veal. Whereas before I emulsified the meat mix in a processor prior to stuffing, this time in place of using a processor, I'm doing a second 'fine' (3.0mm) grind before stuffing. I'm interested to see how they compare texturally.

For the Käsewurst, I'm using 'regular' cheese, not the 'high temp' variety.

First the ingredients:

For the Bockwurst- to 4lbs of pork, 1/2lb of pork fat, &1lb of chicken I'll be adding the following...

For the Käsewurst- to 4.5lbs of pork, I'll add this collection...

I had 2.5 good size pork butts in the fridge, plus a packet of boneless chicken thighs. I cut these up and nearly froze them.

THE GRIND
I used a medium plate (4.5mm) to grind everything.
For the bockwurst- porkfat, pork, and chicken all ground together...

After cleaning the grinder thoroughly (post-poultry grind), I ground the pork for the kasewurst:

Bockwurst; All ingredients in, plus added the 16oz of heavy cream to the mix:

After all ingredients were added and well-mixed, time for the second grind. This is using a fine plate (3.0mm). A very sticky paste that was challenging to keep feeding through the auger. However, this process was easily 2X as fast as emulsifying multiple batches in a food processor....

RESULT? a very uniform, smooth meat paste that is very similar to the emulsified paste in my previous bock batch:

On to the Käsewurst: added all the ingredient (except the cheese) to the ground pork. The aroma of the allspice, garlic and herbs de provence really was great!

CHEESE TIME: Adding the emmenthaler cubes to the meat paste...

NEXT DAY: Okay, had a number of things to do-so I got a later start on finishing the sausages. I kept them in our 3rd fridge in the garage-where my sons like to keep their stuff. The mixes made the garage smell like a deli counter-garlicky, onion.

The stuffing went quickly with the help of my son. Because these were smaller batches (about 5 pounds each), I used my grinder with stuffer attachments. It takes two people to do the job efficiently & can be a pain! If I was by myself and/or a bigger load, I would have use my Kirby Cannon stuffer. Good father/son time, though!

About ten pounds of wurst goodness! In the background, you can see the 'red glow' of my turkey roaster; heating the water where these two batches will end up once the water temp hits about 160°

First to go in the pool were the Käsewurst. These took about 35 minutes to reach the desired temp. Because they're a larger diameter than the bocks, I figured they'd take a bit longer.

Once I pulled the Käsewurst, onto the rack to cool they went.

Into the poacher went the bocks...

About 20-25 minutes they were ready to pull.

Bocks on the rack cooling:

SAMPLE TIME:
The bockwurst really exceeded my expectations! I wasnt sure whether I'd really notice the chicken vs veal exchange-and to be honest-I cant tell the difference.
The flavor is mild, onion-y with a hint of spice-just what I was targeting.
PLUS the texture was smooth, uniform and consistent-without going to the hassle of emulsifying batch after batch.
This wurst goes great with a nice Riesling (or 'bock' beer), some fried potatoes, sauerkraut and a good mustard!

The Käsewurst got rave reviews from everyone. A coarser texture than the bocks (as expected), and a bit more 'robust' flavor profile with garlic & herbs. The emmenthaler cheese is wonderful in it. My son sliced one lengthwise & grilled it-and so his had a bonus of that 'crusty' toasted cheese flavor! Good stuff!

Got the majority of the 2 batches put away in zip-lock bags. I was going to 'food-saver' a big portion, but it didn't make a whole lotta sense since my three sons & I have been polishing these things off in good order.

Of the original 10 pounds, I think about 1/3s is already gone...and its only been a few days! Should have enough to last through the next weekend. ;)

-Kevin

Last edited by NorCal Kid on Fri Jan 13, 2012 02:40, edited 2 times in total.
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. — Hebrews 13:8
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Dec 08, 2011 02:04

Very fine looking work and excellant presentation.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Dec 08, 2011 02:44

OK Reverand,
You've outdone yourself! Nice work - well worth every effort put forth, especially sharing time with your sons. Does your wife share your love for sausage as well?
Your photography is exquisite. Congratulations on another fine project well done. Will your sons carry on the sausage-making tradition?

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
NorCal Kid
Passionate
Passionate

Post by NorCal Kid » Thu Dec 08, 2011 05:00

Thanks for the kind words.

CW, my wife is perhaps not as enthusiastic about the sausage-making process, and gets a good laugh as I stop the process every so often to photograph-but she does enjoy MOST of the sausages I make. I tell her the journey is a BIG part of the enjoyment...

My sons? Well, my youngest (19) enjoys the whole process-mostly as a spectator-but he's definitely taking mental notes. I do recruit him for some of the 'heavy' lifting. He's also the biggest sausage-eater-so that helps increase his interest in the whole process...

-Kevin
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. — Hebrews 13:8
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Thu Dec 08, 2011 14:04

Outstanding indeed. Two more to add to the list. Seems like the list is way longer than the ability to make and eat.

Dave
DLFL
Passionate
Passionate

Post by DLFL » Thu Dec 08, 2011 16:17

Man those are great looking! I can not wait to get a grinder.
Dick

Never quit learning!