SAUSAGE PHOTO GALLERY (Without Original Recipes)

Igor Duńczyk
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Igor Duńczyk » Wed Mar 12, 2014 21:42

Looks very Polish indeed :razz:

Is the Rzezowska supposed to be enjoyed here and now -or is it to hang for some days (or even longer) to become dry and solid ?

Also: do you want to reveal the dosage of cardamon in this recipe or is a well kept family-secret? :mrgreen: I´m a bit curious because I really like a Rzezowska but even in Poland nowadays it is not likely to be found an average butchers shop. It´s simply considered "too expensive" and average customers who wants something meaty seems to be satisfied with Myśliwska (Hunters sausage) or Jałowcowa (Juniper Sausage).
Wishing you a Good Day!
Igor The Dane
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:09

Incredible photos K.K.
Thanks for sharing.
How do I go about gettin' myself one of those special "uncles"? :wink: He must be a heck of a guy to hang around eh?

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
redzed

Post by redzed » Sat Mar 15, 2014 06:47

Nice job! I sure would like to have a nice chunk of that rzeszowska. Is your family from Rzeszów? Brings back memories for me. Many years ago, well actually in 1976, I was on an academic exchange in Warsaw and I accompanied a Polish American friend to some village in the Rzeszów area to attend a wedding of one his many cousins. This was a three day event, with all kinds of food and plenty of vodka. I don't remember much else other than a sickly long train ride back to Warsaw and missing an important seminar at the university.

One question King, when your uncle makes his baleron, does he prepare the whole butt? That what it looks like in the picture. And did your uncle get his nick name "check" because of his generosity?
npede12

Post by npede12 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:20

nice pics. thanks for sharing
MetalMan
Beginner
Beginner

Hot Dogs "Lots of pics"

Post by MetalMan » Mon Mar 17, 2014 03:25

Decided to make some Dogs this weekend. Didn't get any pics of the ground meat but we have all seen that before. I triple ground the meat trying to get it fine as i could with what I had.

Made an 11lb batch. Also had 2 1/2 pounds of pork left over so i used it to make some Polish sausage as well. All meat was cured prior to grinding.Added high temp cheese to the Dogs.

I used cellulose casings this time. Its the first time I've used them. I'll have to say they worked out really well.

First up was the polish

Lets skip forward to all stuffed up. This is a polish sausage next to the Hot Dogs. The dogs have a darker color to them.

Ready to rest in the fridge.

Ready for smoke.

After about 4 hours smoke.

Poached to an internal temp of 154-158

Cooling down.

Little bloom time.Looking good,smelling great!!

Pic of the Polish sausage.The cellulose casing peels off easily.

Oh yeah!! 91 Dogs and 14 Polish Sausages.

Close up.

The spread.

Was gonna have a weenie roast for the the family but the rain said NO. So we grilled them up. Nice and juicy.

Nothing wrong with a little homemade relish.

The Dogs were great!!! Kids loved them and so did me and the wifey.

I have to thank my wife for helping out with this project and cranking my handle for me :sausage:

Recipe ( I used IdaKrauts recipe and made some personal changes. Here is my version. You can see his here http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.ph ... ed+wieners )

Venison 2lbs
Beef chuck 3 lbs
Pork butt 4 lbs
Pork back fat 2 lbs

Total = 11 lbs

Spices

Cure #1 12.0g
Onion powder 9.1g
Garlic powder 15.9g
Sweet paprika 21g
Kosher salt 91g
Mace, ground 4.5g
White pepper 13.6g
Table sugar 32g
Roasted Coriander, ground 9.1g
Mustard, ground 9.1g
Celery salt 3.0g
Marjoram 4.5g
Non-fat dry milk powder 136.2g
Fresh egg whites (4 egg whites)
High temp Cheddar Cheese 2 cups

Ice water 2 cups

Grind almost frozen back fat through 3mm plate followed by venison,beef and pork. Mix all dry spices into meat paste well and then run through 3mm plate a second time (or feel free to spend the time with the food processor and emulsify). After 2nd grinding, add ice water and incorporate well until nice and sticky. Stuff and rest over night in fridge. Hang sausages in smoker at 140 for 1 to 2 hours till dry then smoke for 4 hours with hickory slowly bumping up temp to 165. Then poach in water at 167 degrees till internal sausage temp is 154-158 degrees. Cool in a cold water bath and let hang at room temp for about 1 hour. Store.

Thanks for sharing your recipe Idakraut. Dogs are awesome.

Metal Man.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Mar 17, 2014 03:36

They look good. Did everybody eat them? ;-)
Ross- tightwad home cook
MetalMan
Beginner
Beginner

Post by MetalMan » Mon Mar 17, 2014 03:45

ssorllih wrote:They look good. Did everybody eat them? ;-)
Oh yeah. Everyone enjoyed them. The fact they were case less was a big hit.
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 06:03

MetalMan,
A wonderful looking lot of smoked sausages. You and your wife have been busy and the best
thing is: Everybody loved them.
Thanks for posting.
Jan.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Mar 17, 2014 08:26

Nice goin' MetalMan. That's a tasty project you can be proud of. Isn't it great to make a dog that is far better than you can purchase in any store? 'Grats on the Brats, my man! :wink:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Removing Connective Tissue Making Kolbasz

Post by sawhorseray » Mon Mar 17, 2014 17:05

Got a 15 pound batch done yesterday, today I'll shrink-wrap. I used a Len Poli recipe with the changes being I substitute cayenne for hot paprika and add a little ground fennel.

Porkbutt 15lbs
Tokaji Wine 2 cups
Salt 5 tbsp
Paprika 7 tbsp
Cayanne 2 tbsp
Allspice 3 tbsp
Black pepper 2 tbsp
Fennel (ground( 2 tbsp
Instacure #1 1 tbsp
Garlic (cut fine) 20 cloves

Mixed everything together and let the batch sit in the fridge overnight while the stuffer tank spent the night in my garage freezer
After stuffing let the batch air-dry on some sawhorses with the assist of a fan
Popped the batch into my smoker pre-heated to 130° and added a pan of hickory chips, raised the temp two degrees every 15 minutes till I reached 165°. Pulled the sausages when the IT reached 152°, ice-water bath for 15 minutes, shrink-wrap this morning.
Goes great warmed in the micro with a ice cold beer! RAY
Last edited by sawhorseray on Mon Jun 23, 2014 07:16, edited 1 time in total.
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
redzed

Post by redzed » Mon Mar 17, 2014 18:24

Nice looking kolbász Ray. How much and what type of paprika did you use? I made some last year and for some reason it just did not taste good.

And don't rush to vac pac and freeze the sausage. Rest it in the fridge for a couple of days uncovered for the flavours to come through. I think that's when the sausage tastes the best. Also hang a ring in your garage for a couple of weeks. You will have tasty, if a bit chewy, treat. Don't worry, it won't spoil.
IdaKraut
Passionate
Passionate

Post by IdaKraut » Mon Mar 17, 2014 20:22

Metal Man,

Thanks for the compliments. I'm glad you liked it after tweaking the ingredients to your satisfaction.

I've also triple ground using the 3mm plate instead of emulsifying in the food processor or my Buffalo chopper with pretty good results but still prefer the smoothness from emulsifying. It all depends on how ambitious I am and how much gear I feel like cleaning up after a sausage making venture.
Rudy
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Mon Mar 17, 2014 22:08

Thanks Chris, I'll let it sit in the fridge for another day before wrapping it up and freezing. I've been sampling and am quite happy with the turnout, I also forgot to mention that I use about four times the garlic Poli recommends. I had about five tablespoons left from some I ordered last year from this site, check it out, it came recommended by some friends. I went to the local market and bought a small amount to finish the project and have a little leftover to have on hand. RAY

http://www.hungariandeli.com/Paprika.htm
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Mon Mar 17, 2014 22:17

That is a wonderful piece of work, looks delicious! RAY
Gulyás
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Gulyás » Tue Mar 18, 2014 22:53

I got about 40 lb. of pork shoulder butt too, and I'm having fun cutting it up.
Tomorrow I make kolbász too, but mine will be fresh.
I wish I could find the recipe I wrote earlier......
Anyhow, I'm picky-picky about cleaning my meat.
Some pictures from today.

Failure to prepare is preparing to fail.