Hot Diggity Dogs

Keymaster
Passionate
Passionate

Hot Diggity Dogs

Post by Keymaster » Mon Jan 16, 2012 03:12

So I decided to make some of Chuckwagons Hobble Creek Hot Dogs. These are a keeper recipe!!!
You can get the recipe here http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=5079

I used groumd beef from Costco which was 90/10. I followed the recipe exactly except I used a blender wand to emulsify the meat and ingrediants. The blender wand did work well but I think it over taxed the motor as is sure did get warm but still works like a champ.

hand mixed in the spices

Then i mixed in the cure and emulsified the meat and hand mixed some more.

Then I stuffed the Casings

Then Tied the Casings and had about six blow outs, first time using these casings so thats why I have some short hot dogs.

Set the poaching system up

Took the water to about 180 degrees and poached the hot dogs to an IT of 160° F.

I had a little mishap while poaching the hotdogs. I waited twenty minutes before inserting the temp probe to check the IT of the meat. Oh boy,was that a mistake, I had hot grease spraying out the hole I stuck the probe in and it went all over my arm and refrigerator, wife missed that one :lol:

In for a cold water bath

Refrigerated for a couple hours and then tooke the casings off

Cooked them on the Grill

And finally Plated, Lighting is bad, sorry!!!

Last edited by Keymaster on Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:17, edited 1 time in total.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Jan 16, 2012 03:30

Be very careful with that crock pot on the stove top. The plastic base doesn't tolerate very much heat. I had to put a wooden base on the one at church because someone set in on a hot burner.
Ross- tightwad home cook
NorCal Kid
Passionate
Passionate

Post by NorCal Kid » Mon Jan 16, 2012 03:41

Looks like a brand-spankin' new poacher, too.. :wink:

Emulsifying: yeah, you better have plenty of power in your blender/processor as the meat paste makes for quite a load of resistance. My processor worked fine (direct drive versus belt) & had large enough capacity to make it more efficient. Now I just double-grind (fine) & skip the whole emulsification process. Good results & half the hassle.

speaking of blow-outs: Just wait until you try natural sheep casings for hot dogs. Best keep a sharp eye on flow with those type of casings. VERY delicate.

Nice job on the dogs! they look tasty!

- Kevin
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. — Hebrews 13:8
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Jan 16, 2012 04:05

Magnifique' Keymaster!
Now, aren't those much better than the hot dogs you buy in a grocery store? No comparison is there? Hey Aaron, did you know that Americans today, consume six hundred hot dogs every second! That`s more than 16 billion each year... seven billion during the summer months alone!
Now someone's doing a heck of a lot of emusification eh?
Thanks for tryin' my recipe. I appreciate the nice comments too. Hope you enjoyed them enough to do it again. Looks like you sure know how to cook 'em! :wink:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Keymaster
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Keymaster » Mon Jan 16, 2012 04:38

Chuckwagon wrote:Magnifique' Keymaster!
Now, aren't those much better than the hot dogs you buy in a grocery store? No comparison is there? Hey Aaron, did you know that Americans today, consume six hundred hot dogs every second! That`s more than 16 billion each year... seven billion during the summer months alone!
Now someone's doing a heck of a lot of emusification eh?
Thanks for tryin' my recipe. I appreciate the nice comments too. Hope you enjoyed them enough to do it again. Looks like you sure know how to cook 'em! :wink:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Best hot dog I ever had and wife said she would never buy hot dogs from the store again, Now that scared me :shock:

Thanks for the headsup on the heat from the stove Ross, I appreciate your concern!!!!

Thanks for the nice compliments Kevin!!!

Aaron
sam3
Beginner
Beginner

Post by sam3 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 18:26

Those look great Keymaster! Excellent!
dpeart
Beginner
Beginner

Post by dpeart » Tue Jan 17, 2012 23:19

What kind of casings are those and where did you get them?

The dogs look really good, I want to give them a try.

thanks,
dave
Keymaster
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Keymaster » Wed Jan 18, 2012 01:35

dpeart wrote:What kind of casings are those and where did you get them?

The dogs look really good, I want to give them a try.

thanks,
dave
Thanks Dave,They are Cellulose casings. They were the 33 Cal Peelable casings, You Can get them here, http://www.dupeyequipment.com/images/ca ... atalog.pdf

Allied Kenco also sells the cellulose casings. http://www.alliedkenco.com/230.aspx
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Wed Jan 18, 2012 02:12

Those Dogs look really good, I've been wanting to try Chuckwagons recipe, time permitting I may have to do it very soon.
Ron