Sausage "Chatter"

Rick
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Rick » Sat Jan 10, 2015 16:23

Hmmm.....I'd think if you were using a pork butt for your breakfast sausage needs that you'd have the perfect fat to meat ratio?
Aaron
User
User

Post by Aaron » Tue Jan 13, 2015 13:20

If you get really stuck you could (Dare I mention Supermarket!!) go to the supermarket and get yourself some lard...It should be sitting in the same isle as the butter and margarine etc
Rick
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Rick » Tue Jan 13, 2015 15:04

While at the Supermarket, look for SIDE pork, NOT SALT pork.
redzed

Post by redzed » Tue Jan 13, 2015 16:59

Rick wrote:Hmmm.....I'd think if you were using a pork butt for your breakfast sausage needs that you'd have the perfect fat to meat ratio?
Well, nothing is perfect but that is exactly why the pork butt cut is the most popular for sausage making. Requires little trimming and all you need to do is to cube it and grind it. And don't pay attention to that wonky advice to separate the fat from the meat and grind separately.
Aaron wrote:If you get really stuck you could (Dare I mention Supermarket!!) go to the supermarket and get yourself some lard...It should be sitting in the same isle as the butter and margarine etc
Aaron no! Lard is rendered fat that has a low melting point. It will flow out of your sausage quickly and you will have a greasy mess! When we make sausage we are careful with the temps so we don't melt (render) the fat in the meat. :wink:
Rick wrote:While at the Supermarket, look for SIDE pork, NOT SALT pork.
Side pork is another name for pork belly, and the term we use in Canada. It is used in many sausage recipes because it is packed with more flavour than fat from other parts of the pork. However, it is not recommended for dry cured sausage because it is softer than back fat. Salt pork is pork belly that is salted for preservation purposes but now not as common as it once was. Many of the old recipes ask for it. If that is all you have, you can use it in sausage, but make adjustments to the amount of salt you add.
Rick
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Rick » Tue Jan 13, 2015 17:53

Red,
Without having more to go on in regards to the type of "breakfast sausage" this is, it's hard to say what is needed. I would have thought a pork butt would have sufficed.

Without a ready source of fat as this person stated, thus my suggestion on the side pork. Surely not lard for the reasons you stated.

I know in my area, fresh side pork is hard to come by, howbeit salt pork is a little more readily available. I am grateful that I am on great terms with the owner at my local slaughter house!
redzed

Post by redzed » Tue Jan 13, 2015 18:24

The usual 80/20 ratio in the butt is fine. You can add more fat if you really like fatty sausages. I would not go over 30%. Commercial breakfast sausages are allowed to have 50% fat, in addition they add plant proteins so you end up eating very little meat. That is why we make our own sausage. We buy whole cuts of meat, and know exactly what we are eating.
markjass
Passionate
Passionate

Almost there

Post by markjass » Fri Jan 16, 2015 15:00

If you dig back through my postings you will find that I have a love of lamb and have tried to produce my ultimate smoked lamb sausage. Well I have been working on a lamb sausage with Turkish/Merguez style for a while. Yes there are plenty of formulations out there, but most overpower the subtle flavour of the lamb. Anyway I decided to revisit it today. My criteria is a herby spicy mix that uses sumac. Because lamb is a bit pricey at the moment I bought shoulder chops and ended up with 800 grams of lamb. 300g of the mix was in burgers and 500g in a meatloaf. I had half the burger mix for tea. The other half I will have for lunch tomorrow. The meat loaf will go in sandwiches for lunch next week. Will post pictures tomorrow. When the price of lamb drops I will make a large batch of fresh sausages. If these work out I will then try a cured smoked version.
Do no harm. Margerine is the biggest food crime
rich.theil

Sausage App!

Post by rich.theil » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:39

Hello Everyone,
Wanted to make you aware of a great new sausage app we just launched for iPhone and iPad. We are a small family business that is simplifying meat making and we are starting with this sausage app.

It includes recipes for Bratwurst, Sweet Italian, Hot Italian, Polish, Irish, Waffly Good, Spicy Chicken and more. On top of that, it does all of the formula calculating for you. You just enter the amount of meat (in pounds or kilograms) and it calculates everything else you need

We hope you find it helpful. Click here to download from the app store.

Thanks everyone!
redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Oct 28, 2015 07:41

Hey Rich thanks for the note about your sausage app. Never hurts to have another tool to make this hobby even more enjoyable.

And I checked ou your blog, http://www.meatmadesimple.com/blog/
Lots of good reading and useful info there.

Best wishes,

redzed
rich.theil

Post by rich.theil » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:44

Thanks! I'm glad you found it helpful!
Justin1982

Post by Justin1982 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 03:59

Cool app but I wish there was a feature to add my own recipes though
DoyleDixon

Post by DoyleDixon » Fri Nov 13, 2015 00:05

Made a Lucchese salami in two casings the salameti came out perfect yet the 61mm has holes around the fat . How can I prevent this?
redzed

Post by redzed » Fri Nov 13, 2015 13:17

Hey Doyle! Welcome to the forum!

Can you post a pic of the salami? Hard for me to visualise what the problem might be. If it is air pockets and a soft texture it could be binding failure caused by inadequate mixing and salt distribution (or not enough salt), loose stuffing, warm temp of the meat while grinding/mixing, or failed fermentation. It could also be an issue caused by the quality of the meat and possible contamination with antibiotics.

Give us a bit more info also on the process and ingredients. And did you use natural or collagen casings? Don't give up, dry cured fermented products are a bit finnicky and there is a bit of a learning curve. There are so many factors and variables involved.

Bst wishes,

redzed
Bentley Meredith
User
User

Re: Sausage "Chatter"

Post by Bentley Meredith » Sat Nov 05, 2022 15:02

I realize this is normally salt cured and air dried...but my version of a Fresh Calabrese Sausage. Pretty ho hum, to lean. Maybe put it in some Sausage & Peppers with a red Sauce over penne.