Sausage "Chatter"

Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Sat May 19, 2012 14:20

I'm in the process of making 2 Kilos of Snags sausage as we speak. 1 K fresh and 1 K smoked. This has become one of my favorite sausages. I can tell because we have family coming to visit and this is my sausage of choice to show for them :lol:

Grinding and stuffing later today, hanging for 3 days and cold smoking to be ready by the end of the month. Thanks again for the winner Snagman!!

Dave Zac
redzed

Post by redzed » Sat May 19, 2012 18:21

My next one will be a hungarian style sausage and Snag's recipe looks good. It calls for all pork, and I wonder if anyone tried it with a combination with beef. I would also be curious to taste an all-beef version, as I can't imagine it having the flavour without pork fat in the mix.

Also the pics in Snag's recipe look like there is a higher fat content than the 80/20, in the recipe. Most Hungarian sausage and salami recipes have a pretty high fat content.

Chris
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Sat May 19, 2012 20:27

Hi,
I have made Snagman's smoked and fresh Csabai now many times, if you PM him he will tell you that he is working now on Csabai recipe # 8.
All of them are great, my favourite is #7 sofar but with more garlic and hot chilli flakes and smoked rather well.
There are some photo's on the forum already of my finished smoked csabai sausages.
Chris, the beef csabai I made was OK but personally I prefer pork.
Pork is half the price of beef here, so the choice for me is clear.
My csabai have about a 20% backfat content, it really should be more but I like to keep it on the lean side for health reasons.
Regards,
Jan.
redzed

Paprika question

Post by redzed » Sat May 26, 2012 17:32

I am in the process of preparing a Hungarian style smoked sausage. Yesterday I searched a couple of supermarkets for Hungarian Paprika and hot paprika but to no avail. I ended up buying a generic paprika (origin unknown). I also have a nice smoked paprika that I purchased from a sausage supply house. My question is which paprika would be best suited for this project? And second, to give it a bit of a bite can I add a bit of hot chili powder (Mexican) to the mix?
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat May 26, 2012 17:57

Understanding that paprika is just ground dried peppers and that many varieties of peppers may be used for different paprikas I believe it would be fair to include cayanne pepper in the broad catagory of paprika.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paprika
Ross- tightwad home cook
atcNick
Passionate
Passionate

Cold smoking sausage and finishing in oven/water?

Post by atcNick » Sun Aug 12, 2012 16:26

Can I take a recipe for a hot smoked sausage and instead of hot smoking the sausage cold smoke it. Then when its had enough smoke bring it inside and simmer it to a finished internal temperature?

Can I do this with any recipe for a hot smoked sausage? Would the results be the same if I finished it in the smoker? I want to do this with Kabanosy.

The reason I ask is Im going to build another smokehouse with a seperate fire chamber that will have smoke channeled under ground to the smokehouse. I dont think I will be able to achieve high enough temperatures to cook the sausage in the smokehouse.
-Nick
Custom R&O Smoker
Cedar Smokehouse
Weber Performer
Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle
Weber 18" WSM
Weber Smokey Joe
Lang 84 Deluxe w/chargriller SOLD
Cinder Block Smokehouse RETIRED
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Aug 12, 2012 17:20

That is how I have to smoke most things. It has been satisfactory.
Ross- tightwad home cook
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Paprika question

Post by sawhorseray » Mon Aug 13, 2012 17:12

redzed wrote:I am in the process of preparing a Hungarian style smoked sausage. Yesterday I searched a couple of supermarkets for Hungarian Paprika and hot paprika but to no avail. I ended up buying a generic paprika (origin unknown). I also have a nice smoked paprika that I purchased from a sausage supply house. My question is which paprika would be best suited for this project? And second, to give it a bit of a bite can I add a bit of hot chili powder (Mexican) to the mix?
My first effort when I get my new smoker later on this week will most likely be a batch of Hungarian Kolbasz sausage. I've got a couple of very close friends who are Hungarian and they are quite adamant about the fact that not all paprika is created equal. I'm fortunate to be able to get some pretty good Hungarian paprika at a local market for what seems like a fair price, about $12 for a 16oz jar. My friends say this is the ONLY place to get paprika, but I'm happy with what I've got.

http://www.hungariandeli.com/
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Aug 14, 2012 17:17

I took a pound of romanian hot smoked sausage mince, http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/sausage-re ... an-sausage ,from the fridge this morning and stuffed it into 23 mm collegen casing. anf put it in my smoker. I keep my fridge at 34 °F and today the dew point is about 71°F so my links are covered with condensate and until they warm up a bit more will stay that way. The day is cool for August in Maryland and I have plenty of apple wood.
Ross- tightwad home cook
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 21:35

Ray,
Your Hungarian friends are so correct about paprika, I am a keen smoked csabai maker, the 1st lot I made with a generic paprika and the end results were sort of OK. I just didn't know any better. The following batches I made with genuine Hungarian sweet and hot paprika and the difference is like chalk and cheese. Sometimes I also add some chilli flakes and more stewed garlic.
Try and make some Csabai, Snagmans recipe is terrific with old country family connections, your friends will never let you out of their sight again. The recipe is on the forum and photos as well.
Regards,
Jan.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Aug 14, 2012 22:36

Crusty, you ol' salty dog you.... :mrgreen: I'll vouch for what you said. That is one heck of a great sausage. Here is a link to Snagman's Csabai recipe: http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=5245

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
JerBear
Passionate
Passionate

Post by JerBear » Tue Aug 14, 2012 22:47

sawhorseray,

I checked out Otto's paprika section
HERE and they have quite a selection. I'm able to get the "Pride of Szeged" locally. Did you get the store brand listed first on the page?
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Mon Aug 20, 2012 16:19

JerBear wrote:sawhorseray,

I checked out Otto's paprika section
HERE and they have quite a selection. I'm able to get the "Pride of Szeged" locally. Did you get the store brand listed first on the page?
I get all my spices at a local market chain named "Sprouts". They've got great selection at fair prices, I'm sure a company makes all the spices with their name on them, I've no idea who.

Been deep-sea fishing with the wife over at the coast last couple of days to escape the valley heat, great time. Brought home 32 pounds of filleted rock and ling cod, boy howdy is that stuff good! Egg wash, panko crumbs, 90 seconds a side in some olive oil and butter, YUMMY.

The new smoker arrives today in about a hour, I'm pretty excited. Been perusing a few recipes, one on Len Poli's site for smoked Hawaiian sausage caught my eye with a thought of adding some of my dehydrated pineapple. The ingredients called for "phosphates". of which I am not familiar. A search led me to this site: http://www.theingredientstore.com/gener ... /index.htm..
I'm not sure I think this stuff is necessary.

The looks of Snags Csabai recipe is very appealing to me, I want to give it a shot. I'll have to wait a little bit to get the required refrigerator space for that amount of time, the wife will be back east for a week in a couple of months. Perfect!
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
JerBear
Passionate
Passionate

Post by JerBear » Mon Aug 20, 2012 18:14

Sprouts gets their spices from a bulk place up in LA. I like their prices but sometimes splurge for the jarred spices when I'm making something special. Sometimes the Sprouts stuff is a little flavorless.
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Tue Aug 21, 2012 04:47

JerBear wrote:Sprouts gets their spices from a bulk place up in LA. I like their prices but sometimes splurge for the jarred spices when I'm making something special. Sometimes the Sprouts stuff is a little flavorless.
The new smoker has arrived and I appear to be a genius, most beautiful thing I've ever seen. The Huns will be bringing me some "real" paprika, appearantly I'm too stupid to know the difference between good and bad. What a great life it is!!! I'm just ordering all kind s of stuff; stockingettes, maple cure, injector needles, and most important of all, a meat thermometor probe, along with a few other goodies. I'm thinking a prime might make me happy, along with a rack of ribs any old day. I'm going to wait till we're not at least 97° every day to break the thing in and give myself a fair chance, been over 103° every day for the last week. I hate this time of year here, and that's why we'll be spending Xmas this year at a swamp=bar down at a resort in Ixtapa. It's just the right thing to do. RAY