Sausage "Chatter"

partycook
User
User

Sausage "Chatter"

Post by partycook » Mon Jul 25, 2011 02:01

In Hyde Park, we chat about everything. Here in "Sausage Chat" we also talk about everything... providing it pertains to sausage. :lol: This is the place to ramble on and pose more simple questions or answers about sausage. Whether it is meat selection, grinding, mixing, casing, or any other sausage-making topic - chat away! Ask or answer questions too. There are no stupid questions... just occasional goofy answers. Someone with a little expertise in any given particular area will usually come to the rescue. If a particular post develops into one worthy of its own topic, we'll move it into the forum. We believe good people have knowledge, but GREAT people are the ones who SHARE IT!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Last edited by partycook on Tue Apr 10, 2012 02:19, edited 2 times in total.
revid
User
User

Sausage "Chatter"

Post by revid » Mon Jan 23, 2012 13:57

I have some moose that I was looking to make some sausages with but don't have a recipe.Does anyone have a favorite recipe they would like to share?
Last edited by revid on Tue Apr 10, 2012 02:16, edited 4 times in total.
Keymaster
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Keymaster » Mon Jan 23, 2012 14:23

Theres a couple moose recipes here

http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=5146
Swallow
User
User

Moose

Post by Swallow » Mon Jan 23, 2012 15:13

Revid Whilst I can't help you with moose sausage there will be others who will chime in pretty soon that can, so just hang in there. And Welcome this place.

Swallow
Retirement is easy , but Yuh really have to work at it sometimes.
nuynai
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nuynai » Mon Jan 23, 2012 17:15

IMHO, game is game as far as recipes. All very lean compared to farm raised meat. The taste may be slightly different but the recipes all should work. Good luck.
uwanna61
Passionate
Passionate

Post by uwanna61 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 17:27

Revid
This recipe (posted below) was posted by Bigguy, he is from your neck of the woods. I have made this recipe several times with 60% game meat and 40% pork, never a disappointment. I also made this recipe in a German style ring bologna using 43mm ring collagne casings with jalapeno and high temp cheddar. Always a hit with friends and family..

Wally

http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.ph ... bier+wurst
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Jan 23, 2012 17:37

Mr. Marianski, groups deer, elk, and moose, as venison. He makes no distinction between them.
Ross- tightwad home cook
uwanna61
Passionate
Passionate

Post by uwanna61 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 17:51

Ross
Maybe so, but I can tell you each one has its own distinct flavor and will change the flavor of the product. Personally I prefer moose any day over venison :wink:
revid
User
User

moose sausage

Post by revid » Mon Jan 23, 2012 17:54

thanks guys,great info.I dont have a smoker ,just wanted to make some to fry.I bought some pork roasts to go with the moose so that its not so dry.I was going to mix 75/25 moose/pork.Do you think thats a good mix or should be different?What do you use the powered milk for,I mean whats its purpose in the sausage,binder?If so can I use eggs?I am only asking because this is my first go at this,lol.I dont have the cure but I guess thats only if your smoking it.The local butcher makes an oktoberfest moose sausage but he wont give me the recipe and I really dont blame him but was trying to get close to his version but will try any recipe for now.Was going to try 1 lb batches at a time till I find one I like.Using 3/4 collagen casings btw.Let me know what you guys think.
nuynai
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nuynai » Mon Jan 23, 2012 18:00

Think 75/pork to 25 moose, unless you like it dry. Plus, the moose will go further. Make a pattie, fry it and try it before you do the final product. You'll get a better idea of the final product and can than adjust the seasonings to do the final recipe.
uwanna61
Passionate
Passionate

Post by uwanna61 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 18:21

Rived
That`s the beauty of homemade sausage making, you can make the sausage to fit your taste. As for the meat mix, do it the way you like, I find with game meat mixing at 60/40% creates a good flavor and smooth texture in my sausage. Keep in mind most game meat will require at least 1/2lb of fat per 5lbs of game meat, I use pork fat for better flavor.
Milk powder has been used for years in sausage making. Although not highly effective as a binder, it can impart a creamier taste to some sausage products. Milk powder is good at hiding salt flavor in most sausage and is used in liver sausage, hot dogs and bologna.
If this is your 1st go at it, and it sounds like you are interested in something like a snack stick. I would recommend maybe visiting the sausagemaker.com to pick up a seasoning mix, this way you can make the 1lb batch, if that`s what you prefer. I believe the sausagemaker sells several verities in one kit.

Good luck

Wally
Swallow
User
User

Moose

Post by Swallow » Mon Jan 23, 2012 18:25

nuynai wrote:Think 75/pork to 25 moose, unless you like it dry. Plus, the moose will go further. Make a pattie, fry it and try it before you do the final product. You'll get a better idea of the final product and can than adjust the seasonings to do the final recipe.
I would agree with more pork and less moose as pork has a fairly subtle flavor and moose can be a bit over powering and as has been said it will make the moose meat go a lot further.

Personally I can't stand the collagen casings and would go for calf casings as they are a little stronger than pork casings but thats just me.

Swallow
Retirement is easy , but Yuh really have to work at it sometimes.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Jan 23, 2012 18:29

I recommend that you read this section on sausage making: http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/sausage-making
It is very helpful and will fill in details that the more experienced sausage makers may take for granted.
Ross- tightwad home cook
uwanna61
Passionate
Passionate

Post by uwanna61 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 18:30

Ross
Ditto good point..
nuynai
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nuynai » Mon Jan 23, 2012 18:35

Collagen is made from beef hide, that's what makes it tough. It's designed to support heavier meat, sausage, etc. during smoking.