[USA] Teriyaki Flat Sticks

TSMODIE
Frequent User
Frequent User

TERIYAKI FLATTIES

Post by TSMODIE » Wed May 09, 2012 19:16

I had been searching for a good teriyaki stick recipe, and could never find one, most of the kits had very little flavor, I then found a seasoning from Butchers and Packers for teriyaki sticks, I tried it and it was good but tstill not there, to this seasoning i added 1 cup of brown sugar, and 1 teaspoon of pineapple extract, this made the perfect teriyali stick, was very happy with it, in 19mm casings it was good, but i had remembered reading about a flat sausage, so I started expermenting, I took 21 mm casings which i thought were too big for sticks, and stuffed them, then laid them flat on a cookie sheet and put another cookie sheet on top of them and weighted it down overnight in the fridge, then smoke them the next day, Man, they are great, i let them proof at room temp for 24 hours and they dried nicely, they give a texture between sticks and jerky, they are now my favorite, i will post a picture below,Tim http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc3 ... /saus2.jpg
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon May 21, 2012 11:26

Hi Tim,
Wow, that stuff looks good. Even though your recipe starts out with a commercial mix, I believe it should qualify for an "original" with all the modifications you've made. Brown sugar? Pineapple juice? Nice touch.
How about writing your instructions for making this stuff. Cure? Cooked? Perhaps a few more photos? I'm sure lots of folks would like to taste teriyaki al la Montrose! :wink: Thanks pard.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
TSMODIE
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by TSMODIE » Mon May 21, 2012 16:53

6 lbs beef or wild game
3 lbs pork butt
12 ozs butcher and packers teriyaki snack stick seasoning
10 grams cure #1
1 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon pineapple extract
1/2 cup dry non fat milk

grind all the meat through a course plate, add the seasonings and the cure, add 1 teaspoon of the pine apple extrac to 1/2 cup water, then mix thouroughly, i stuff these into 21 mm callogen casings, then in the fridge for overnight, then the next morning, i rool them flat with a rolling pin, about 1/4 inch, then lay them on my racks for the masterbuilt, and then lay another rack on top of them, and use baling wire to hold the 2 racks together and keep them flat. then into the smoker at 110 for 2 hours,no smoke, then to 130 for an hour, then 140 with light smoke, for an hour, usually I use cherry or applewood, then to 155 until the IT reaches 150, then a cool down, and then hang them in the kitchen to proof for about 1 1/2 days, then i cut and vacuum pack them. Today I am working on a new stick/flattie, it will be a Tequila lime flavor, i will let you know how they turn out, I have had the zest of 10 limes infusing in 1 cup of tequila for about a week, will add this and 1/4 lb of Habaneros, and see how it does,Tim
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Mon May 21, 2012 17:03

That does looks good!
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue May 22, 2012 02:23

Thanks Tim. Let us know how your "tequila-lime" stick turns out.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
TSMODIE
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by TSMODIE » Fri Jun 15, 2012 20:07

the Tequila lime sticks turned out fantastic, i used the recipe above for the teriyaki sticks, but omitted the brown sugar and the pineapple extract, then added 1/2 lb of habaneros, and the zest of 10 limes soaked in 2 cups of tequila for 4 days, ther have a bite and a great lime flavor witha hint of tequila, these are a keeper,Tim
Big Guy
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Big Guy » Sat Jun 16, 2012 00:24

did you de-seed the Habanero's ? or just grind them all up? how was the heat level. I'm going to try your variation on Teryaki stix and possibly the tequilla lime stix
Col. Big Guy
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Jun 16, 2012 00:30

Tim,
I'm afraid if I put the zest of limes into 2 cups of tequilla, it wouldn't make it 1/2 day, let alone 4 days! :roll:
Did you take any more photos? Did you smoke this batch too? Inquiring minds want to know! :mrgreen:
TSMODIE
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by TSMODIE » Tue Jun 26, 2012 15:13

Yes, i removed seeds and ran through the food processor, and yes, these were smoked lightly, about 2 hrs of light smoke, i smoke all my sausages, except for pepperoni, I did 40 lbs of the tequila lime stick and flatties and took them to denver last week for my brothers wedding, they dint last a day, Wife says they are her favorites, Also Chuckwagon, did another 30 lbs of your brats 2 days ago, evrybody loves them here, they are milder then most, but have a very destictive flavor, they go over very well,Tim
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Jun 27, 2012 06:13

Chuckwagon, did another 30 lbs of your brats 2 days ago, evrybody loves them here,
Thanks Tim, I'm glad you folks liked 'em! Keep smokin' n' smilin' pal.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
JerBear
Passionate
Passionate

Post by JerBear » Mon Jan 21, 2013 00:45

TSMODIE, quick question on your recipe. I just got done with a three pack of snack stick kits from B&P and all the recipes called for 10# of meat. I notice that your version calls for 9 lbs, is that a typo or did you reduce the quantity of protein to increase the ratio of spices to meat?
TSMODIE
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by TSMODIE » Mon Jan 21, 2013 18:21

the Butcher and packer spices do 25 lbs per package, so i just cut the meat into thirds for the batches I like to do, you can adjust the ratio and spices for the batch size you like,Tim
JerBear
Passionate
Passionate

Post by JerBear » Mon Jan 21, 2013 20:12

That's what I got to thinking a bit after sending my message. My kits came with enough spice for 10 lb batches and when I went online to look at just the spices alone I noticed they were mostly for 25 lbs...

I'll be ordering today (or tomorrow if they're closed today..haven't called yet)