19 -21mm sheep casing problems

orf
User
User

19 -21mm sheep casing problems

Post by orf » Mon Oct 08, 2012 22:16

tried to make my first batch of kielbasa stix. I have a vertical stuffer from grizzley tools,it has the plastic gears but it seems like a fairly good stuffer for the price of about $80.00 I beleive ,anyhow I made up a 5# batch and after soaking the casings for a hour tried to put the casings on the tubes .Well I could barley get them opened and when I did they tore ,so after 20 minutes of that I got out some hog casings and just made them.is there any tricks for using these and if so please share.photos would be a nice touch.Thanks in advance orf...
Last edited by orf on Thu Oct 24, 2013 07:24, edited 1 time in total.
Gulyás
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Gulyás » Mon Oct 08, 2012 23:24

Hi orf.

Here is some information on stuffing small casings. I think you need small tube, and more water in the mix.

http://www.lemproducts.com/product/3306/stuffing_tube
Failure to prepare is preparing to fail.
atcNick
Passionate
Passionate

Post by atcNick » Mon Oct 08, 2012 23:29

Hey Orf,

I think I have the same stuffer as you. I made Kabanosy once with 22-24mm casings and the smallest stuffing tube that came with the stuffer still made it a tight fit. So I can only imagine what you had to do. You can buy smaller tubes, thats what I did. Also, try a slightly larger sheep casing. The 22-24 was good for kabanosy.
-Nick
Custom R&O Smoker
Cedar Smokehouse
Weber Performer
Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle
Weber 18" WSM
Weber Smokey Joe
Lang 84 Deluxe w/chargriller SOLD
Cinder Block Smokehouse RETIRED
Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Devo » Mon Oct 08, 2012 23:46

First measure your stuffing tube. If its not smaller than 19MM your going to have a real hard time getting those casings on. So now if you have them on and you start stuffing you will find it really hard to crank that handle because your trying to force the meat through a very small opening. Thats where the extra water come into play. Helps with stuffing as the meat is not set to hard. Go slow till you get used to the casings, they will blow out on you real easy but if you take your time and don't over stuff you will be just fine.
orf
User
User

Post by orf » Mon Oct 08, 2012 23:47

I saw the smaler tube on lem and was going to order it. thought I'd wait to here from some of you'se first though. and how do you get them opened,my fat little stubs had a hell of a time.
Gulyás
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Gulyás » Mon Oct 08, 2012 23:53

If you cut the end with sharp scissors, its a little easier to open it.
Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Devo » Tue Oct 09, 2012 00:06

From one of my sausage making friends who has made more sticks than i will ever, told me that its a lot easier if the meat is at the end of the stuffing tube to thread the casings on. Never tried this out but he said it works better this way.
Baconologist
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Baconologist » Tue Oct 09, 2012 00:17

For casings that size, you really need the 3/8" SS stuffing tube that LEM sells.
Godspeed!

Bob
Gulyás
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Gulyás » Tue Oct 09, 2012 00:19

I agree with your friend Devo. I do it like that too. I also first blow some air into the casing, it forms a bauble. At the end, the air escapes.
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Tue Oct 09, 2012 00:50

Baconologist wrote:For casings that size, you really need the 3/8" SS stuffing tube that LEM sells.
I ordered one of those after my first try (using the smallest diameter plastic tube that came with my 5 lb. LEM), and it was still extremely difficult for me to get the sheep casings on the tube. Did the snip-off-the-end trick. I got a little better at it as I went along, but it was still too slow and frustrating for me. Finally switched to collagen....what a breeze.

I've still got a package of sheep casings in case my patience miraculously improves. Ha! OR if I learn some great tricks on this forum (more likely). If I ever buy sheep casings again, I will get the pre-loaded type! Stuffed 10 lbs. of kabanosy Sat. night...can't imagine how long it would have taken with my sheep casing skills. :oops:
Big Guy
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Big Guy » Tue Oct 09, 2012 01:58

I wouldn't even think of stuffing sheep cases with out my 3/8 ss stuffing tubes, and I got a 1/2 inch one for hog cases, throw those plastic tapered tubes away.
Col. Big Guy
orf
User
User

Post by orf » Fri Oct 12, 2012 13:39

is there any secrects to getting the ends open? I've cut it straight but am still having a hellofa time with them. I ordered a 3/8 tube from lem. are they a recommended company that you folks buy from? I diddn't see any 22mm casings on that site.
Big Guy
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Big Guy » Fri Oct 12, 2012 15:30

I usually order from the sausagemaker.com in Buffalo NY
Col. Big Guy
nuynai
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nuynai » Fri Oct 12, 2012 15:52

Orf, not sure what you mean by getting the ends open. When I make fresh sausage with hog casings, I just grab the end and blow it up like a balloon or run water thru it to open it up. Also, a tip I found is make sure you have about 1/2 in. of meat left out of the end of the funnel, as this makes starting them much easier.
BG, how's that moose coming along.
Darthfrog
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Darthfrog » Sat Oct 13, 2012 00:53

I also have that 5 lb. vertical stuffer. It's inexpensive and works great. I use 22/24 mm sheep casings from Stuffers (they're local to me).

As you noticed, sheep casings are more delicate than hog casings but are easy enough to use if you just handle them with care. I use the recipe for Sage, Ginger & Garlic Breakfast Sausage from Ruhlman & Polcyn's "Charcuterie" (using heavier spice levels than they call for). I use the smallest of the stuffing tubes that come with the Grizzly stuffer. I let them soak for at least a 1/2 hour (or more).

To open up the lumen (i.e. centre hole) of the casing, I do it under a light stream of water such that when it starts to open, the opening fills with water and finishes the job. Now that the end is open, i let 20 ml or so of water into the casing and let it flush the entire casing. After this, the end of the casing is just started onto the small stuffing tube. I pour a tablespoon or so of pure olive oil down the stuffing tube into the casing. The olive oil is the trick to loading the casing onto the tube as it provide splendid lubrication. I load the casing onto the stuffing horn in the sink so the mess is contained.

When ready to stuff, I thread the plastic nut over the casings on the horn and attach the loaded horn onto the stuffer. When stuffing the sheep casings, don't stuff them really tight as they'll burst when you turn them into links.

Since I usually make 15 lbs. of breakfast sausage at a go, I bought a second set of stuffing horns from Grizzlie and have two horns loaded with casing, rather than having to reload the stuffing horn half-way through the process.

Lubrication and a bit of delicacy works for me. (As the actress said to the bishop.)

--
Cheers,
Rob
I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.