Aerated Bratwurst Sausage

sads

Aerated Bratwurst Sausage

Post by sads » Sat Dec 22, 2012 05:02

A German smallgoods store in Perth (Western Australia) sells a 'schublig' sausage, and I am very curious how they achieve these wonderful pockets of juicy air in the meat.

I don't know how they do it but it is sensational. Kind of like cheese that bursts in your mouth, but it has no cheese in it and they claim it is simply aerated meat which does not make much sense to me.
I imagine the fat content is quite high to help.

Anyone know the secret?

Internet research says a Schublig is a traditionally smoked Swiss sausage made with beef and pork mixed with a blend of spices, non-fat dried milk, and finely ground onions - which does not help explain the juicy air.

Many thanks and Merry Christmas
Last edited by sads on Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:01, edited 1 time in total.
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 06:24

Hi Sads,
Welcome to the forum. It's a great place for friendship, learning and steering around stuff ups.
All advise here and other forums comes from experience so you save time, money and frustration.
Us Ozzies have a small section in Hyde Park, called Australian Recources Section.
If you like, can you list the holey sausage and who makes it here please.
You never know what information it could produce eventually.
Merry Christmas and a great 2013 to you and your family.
Jan.
Brisbane.
sads

Post by sads » Sat Dec 29, 2012 04:43

I have a starting point if anyone else out there had any thoughts or comments.
Received this information from a friendly butcher:

"I'm not entirely sure how these pockets you're describing would be achieved but my best guess is (and sorry if this sounds less than appetizing) that they do indeed have a pretty high fat content and that their temperature was held at a very high level during processing. This would cause the fat to liquify and much of it would leak out. Then most of what's left would congeal when the sausage is chilled down again. That could give it that cheese-like substance you describe. Again this is just a stab in the dark."