Made some sausage and ran into a problem

atcNick
Passionate
Passionate

Made some sausage and ran into a problem

Post by atcNick » Thu Mar 07, 2013 17:30

A coworker and I made some sausage last Sunday. About 20 lbs of kabanosy, 30 lbs of hot smoked kielbasa (marianski recipe), and 7lb of hot links. The kabanosy were all beef, hot links were 2 lbs of brisket (most fat removed) and 5 lbs of pork, kielbasa was about 6 or 7 lbs brisket (most fat removed) and the rest pork.

The pork we used was from the pigs we raised and had slaughtered. I can definitly tell there is a difference in our pork compared to store bought. Its much more tender. We had bags of "scraps" that we had the butcher save us for sausage, we used that and a few pork roast (shoulders). I could tell when the sausage was going into the casing that the fat content was higher than you would normally see on sausage made from a store bought pork shoulder.

I smoked the sausage in my smokehouse on Monday. I first smoked the kabanosy using hickory wood, then in the evening the hot links and kielbasa using pecan wood. I smoked them as I have in the past with this smokehouse and my other one (the cinder block smokehouse) started about 120-130F for an hour than raised the temp up to about 180-190F. A few times it got a little over 200F.

Anyways, all of the sausage rendered out a lot of fat. While smoking i had grease dripping constantly. This is the first time this has ever happened. I was smoking at the usual temperatures, and I had two separate thermometers as a fail safe. The only difference I can think of is 1. home raised pig, 2. higher fat content in the sausage than usual.

Do you guys have any idea why the sausage was rendering out fat? Is the melting point on different breads, or raised pigs different from commercial pigs? Would the higher fat content cause the fat to melt at a lower temp?

The sausage tasted VERY good and juicy out of the smokehouse. But after cooling them off in ice water and letting them sit in the fridge I cooked a couple up, (grill and simmering water). The flavor is good but the meat is now on the dry side and slightly crumbly looking.

The kabanosy are hanging i my curing chamber to dry for a few more days, but the casings are greasy.

Here are some pictures I took. I would appreciate you guys' expertise, Im at a loss.

hot links

kabanosy

kielbasa and hot links

fresh out of smokehouse

out of smokehouse and still hot, kielbasa on left, hot link on right.
Last edited by atcNick on Wed Mar 27, 2013 06:44, edited 1 time in total.
-Nick
Custom R&O Smoker
Cedar Smokehouse
Weber Performer
Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle
Weber 18" WSM
Weber Smokey Joe
Lang 84 Deluxe w/chargriller SOLD
Cinder Block Smokehouse RETIRED
Baconologist
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Baconologist » Thu Mar 07, 2013 18:08

Smeared fat and too high of a temperature.
Heat should be increased very slowly to proper temperature.
Godspeed!

Bob
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Thu Mar 07, 2013 18:28

I think over 170° the fat begins to separate and melt. If I start with a smoker temp of 130° for smoking sausage I raise the temp 2-3 degrees every 20 minutes until I reach 165°, and that's as high as it goes for sausage. In my first two attempts at smoking sausage I raised the temp from 130° directly up to 165°, quite a mess. Others will know better than I, but I'm fairly sure that's the correct method to follow. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Thu Mar 07, 2013 19:03

Hi Nick,

Same thing has happend to me before, and yes as everyone above my reply said, it's a temperature issue.
In fact mine was a carbon copy of how you described, next time round I increased temp slowly and was meticulous to not let it go over 170F.
Then the other difference is I have started using a 170 F hot water bath to finish (I learnt that from this site :) )

Ron
Ron
atcNick
Passionate
Passionate

Post by atcNick » Thu Mar 07, 2013 19:49

Bubba wrote:Hi Nick,

Same thing has happend to me before, and yes as everyone above my reply said, it's a temperature issue.
In fact mine was a carbon copy of how you described, next time round I increased temp slowly and was meticulous to not let it go over 170F.
Then the other difference is I have started using a 170 F hot water bath to finish (I learnt that from this site :) )

Ron
Thanks guys. Ron, when you do the water bath do you first smoke to a specific internal temp or for a specific length of time?
-Nick
Custom R&O Smoker
Cedar Smokehouse
Weber Performer
Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle
Weber 18" WSM
Weber Smokey Joe
Lang 84 Deluxe w/chargriller SOLD
Cinder Block Smokehouse RETIRED
IdaKraut
Passionate
Passionate

Post by IdaKraut » Thu Mar 07, 2013 20:17

Ron is right on. Smoke at a temp below 160 - 170 and then do the water bath, keeping the water temp below 170. It doesn't matter what the IM temp is when the smoking is done. When the smoking time is up, into the water bath it goes until you hit your target IM temp.
Rudy
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Thu Mar 07, 2013 20:45

IdaKraut wrote:Smoke at a temp below 160 - 170 and then do the water bath, keeping the water temp below 170. It doesn't matter what the IM temp is when the smoking is done. When the smoking time is up, into the water bath it goes until you hit your target IM temp.
Yes :) usually around 130 IMT it's ready for the warm bath (but it is not crucial), then I leave the water temp lower and increase that slowly to 170. Once they are in the bath watch the IMT because the temp transfer in water (compared to air) is a lot quicker.

And also, my last hurdle with the water bath was different, I had a thread where I showed the lack of smoke color because I used Beech Wood, and should have rather used Hickory. The sausage does lose some smoke color when in the water.

If you have a chance, have a look at Norcalkid's turkey fryer setup, he has an awesome one. I just use a stock pot at a specific stove setting.

Ron
Ron
redzed

Post by redzed » Thu Mar 07, 2013 21:14

Because my smoker does not heat evenly, most of the time I also finish by poaching. I smoke the sausage between 130 and 150. I apply smoke for two to three hours for most sausages. Usually have perfect results that way.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Thu Mar 07, 2013 23:46

I agree. Anything over 170 and you will be rendering fat.
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Fri Mar 08, 2013 00:13

My 2 cents: I don't have a temperature controlled hot smoker. I cold smoke first, then finish cooking in the oven (kabanosy and bacon) or a water bath on the stove (sausages).

I really like the cold smoke method because I can't make any mistakes with that. If I use a really big pot of water (which is less susceptible to temp spikes), chances of screwing up the poaching are minimized. For oven cooking, I use a Maverick remote temperature sensor and run the oven at <200F. Can't go wrong with that, so long as I set the alarm.

At night I lie in bed envying NorCal's turkey roaster for the water bath, because sometimes I don't pay attention and the water bath gets too hot on the stove while I'm lying on the couch congratulating myself on another great batch. :mrgreen: I need failsafe methods. If I can make a mistake, I will. :???:
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Mar 08, 2013 16:44

Hi Nick,
Dig out your copy of Rytek`s third edition of "Great Sausage Recipes And Meat Curing". Your problem is outlined perfectly on pages 69 and 71. Sorry pal, you "broke the fat" with too much heat. :sad: Back up and hit it again!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
TSMODIE
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by TSMODIE » Fri Mar 08, 2013 17:48

I have to agree nick, to high of heat, when I do the smoke sausage, I never set it higher than 160, I stopped using the masterbuilt for sausages, I usea large freezer witha hot plate and a johnson controller on it, this keeps perfect temps, for smoke I put a handful of pellets into a foil pack and put it on a burner of the hot plate, I start at 110 for an hour, then 120 for and hour.etc...at 140 i put the pellets on, this freezer is sealed so it holds the smoke in and does not require too many pellets, Yesterday i did a 30 lb batch of summer sausage, and it went into the smoker at 7 am and did not reach 155 IT until 900 pm last night, I use the poaching on the smalle sausages, but not the large, On another note, I have never made an all beef Kabonosey, Just all Pork, let me know how it turns out,Tim
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Fri Mar 08, 2013 18:00

TSMODIE wrote:I usea large freezer witha hot plate and a johnson controller on it
Tim - can you share what model of Johnson controller you use with your hot plate?

Thanks!
Jeff
TSMODIE
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by TSMODIE » Fri Mar 08, 2013 19:18

I use the johnson A419 series, I have 2 of them, one for the sausage smoker and one for my dry age/fermentation cabimet cabinet

here is the smoker

here is the fermentation cabinet

here is the johnson controller

Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Fri Mar 08, 2013 19:35

Thanks Tim! Appreciate the pictures too.

Jeff