Sausage Making Spread Sheet

el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Sausage Making Spread Sheet

Post by el Ducko » Mon Sep 09, 2013 16:13

This topic was SPLIT from: "Bacon Sausage what is its Polish name" in the "Sausages" forum.
redzed wrote:The Polish recipe is by Maxell and I will translate it next week when I get back...
I find particularly useful in Maxell's recipe, the form in which he presents and stores the information. Confession: I'm a spreadsheet geek. I see an opportunity to do a better job by changing my spreadsheet toward this outline. Until now, I focused on the ingredients and not on the processing details. I need more processing details in my format. This looks like a good way to record the information.

The format looks roughly like the following:
-------------------------------------------------

[title] Bacon sausage steamed

[amount](per 5 kg . material)

Recipe :
A. Raw material:
1 [name] [weight]
2 ...

B. Spices and resource materials:
I. Spices:
a) used for curing :
1 [name] [weight]
2 ...
b ) added during production :
1 [name] weight]
2 ...

II. Resources:
1 [casing]
2 ...

C. Form of raw material after treatment :
[item] split into 2 mm mesh at least two times.
[item] divided by a grid of 5 mm .
[item] into cubes of side 15 mm .

D. Form of the finished product :
Sausage in lengths of [length] cm. [details such as:] At one end of the loop for hanging length of 10-12 cm , the second end connected yarn .

Manual abstract:
1 pickle : [details]
2 Shredding: [details such as:]
According to the recipe .
3 Fur ( double grinding ) [details such as:]
Beef class II or I ( sinewy ) and pork class III is passed at least 2 times through 2 mm mesh and then mixed with about 0.30 liters of cold water.
While stirring add the rest of the salt and spices .
4 Mixing: [details such as:]
For mixing we first prepared mass beef - pork with spices and water, then beef Class I or II ( no sinewy ) and jowls , and the final stage of mixing - sliced bacon . Mix until a uniform blend all the ingredients and obtain a proper consistency .
5 Filling and tying disorders: [details such as:] The mixed mass is filled with tightly intestine. We're tying the ends of the sheath yarn .
6 Deposition : [details:]
For 2-3 hours .
7 smoking : [details such as:]
Hot smoke for about 100 minutes . During the translation of smoking cues in the smokehouse.
8 Steaming: [details such as:]
The temperature of 72-75 degrees C for about 80 min . to reach inside the sausage at 68-70 degrees C.
9 cooling : [details such as:]
After brewing is cooled with cold water for 2-4 min . and placed in a room cooled to cool to a temperature below 12 degrees C. It is allowed to cooling to a temperature of 18 degrees. During or before cooling , it is recommended to pour hot water sausages ..
Last edited by el Ducko on Tue Sep 10, 2013 08:47, edited 1 time in total.
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
redzed

Post by redzed » Tue Sep 10, 2013 02:45

The above translation is an excellent example that computer language translation has a long way to go. If this is what you get in a translation of a simple sausage recipe then what would the result be in translating Mickiewicz or Tuwim?

I forgot about my commitment to translating that recipe, but will do it soon as I get home. It will be in colloquial English and not in computer babel.
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Maxell's additions to the Recipe Format

Post by el Ducko » Tue Sep 10, 2013 03:09

...and speaking of bacon (so we can tie this post to the name of the thread, albeit tenuously), here's our beloved recipe for Texas Hot Links, originally by Blackriver and NorCal Kid, slightly modified to use bacon for the fat source. (Yum. How can you go wrong?)

I'm reminded of the days, back in the late 80's, when I was working on a machine translation project. The Hungarians were leaders at the time. There was a celebrated test in which they famously input the phrase "The spirit is weak, but the flesh is willing." It was translated into Hungarian, then back into English, as "The vodka is weak, but the meat is rotten." ...thus setting a benchmark for artificial intelligence applications to natural language.

Thankfully it's come a long way since then. We hope to use the Google software to help translate a video of the Meat Processing Course in the near future, with Maxell's and his buddies' help. ...and yup, the program's output will be heavily edited by us humans. (...with the help of some good Polish vodka.)

For those of you (dang, there's bound to be SOMEbody out there) motivated to pursue Maxell's format farther (or is it further?), here's my effort to expand the spreadsheet I use to manage sausage recipes. The first page, mainly the recipe, is:
and the second page, which includes Maxell's "mechanics" if you will, is Image
Interested? (Yes, the fun of making sausage is still there.) Drop me a PM or email, and I'll send you the latest spreadsheet. ...and don't forget about the brining spreadsheet, which is also available.

...at a duck pond near you.
:mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
markjass
Passionate
Passionate

Post by markjass » Tue Sep 10, 2013 03:43

wow that is one serious spread sheet. Mine are very basic. One spreadsheet that I would like is a start/finish pedictor. Like you enter the time that you want to finish something and it back caculates when it will be done. Say you want to brine a chicken then let it rest and then smoke it for x hours. All you would need to do do would enter the time you want to start or finish and hey presto - there is the answer.

Mark
Do no harm. Margerine is the biggest food crime
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Tue Sep 10, 2013 14:44

Sorry, guys (and gals), this spreadsheet is probably overkill. Don't let it intimidate you. I used to do this stuff for a living. Now, occasionally (when they let me out of my padded cell), I apply it to my hobbies.

You don't really need a spreadsheet to enjoy this hobby, as anyone who has already made sausage knows well. As long as you can read, wash your hands and equipment, and know a few basics (such as "Keep it cold"), you can enjoy this hobby.

...and even us geeks are welcome! WooHoo!
Duk
:mrgreen:
Loon_on_a_stick

Re: Sausage Making Spread Sheet

Post by Loon_on_a_stick » Tue Apr 04, 2023 01:42

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but does anyone have a copy of the spreadsheet?
Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Re: Sausage Making Spread Sheet

Post by Devo » Wed Apr 05, 2023 18:45

I don't have that one put I do have this one I have used in the past.

https://www.filemail.com/d/atvkbppsllecpkh