I Have A Question

Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed May 14, 2014 08:12

4) I don't understand why I would want to use nitrites. I am not opposed to them at all, but I only use them when cold-smoking or aging wursts or salamis. These are fresh bratwurst and do not require nitrites.
I mentioned the use of nitrites if you were going to decide to make a "cooked and cured" type sausage. To keep the fat from breaking, a lower prep temperature is used. This would require using nitrites because the meat is cased and the casing cuts off oxygen. Many types of bacteria thrive in an atmosphere beneath 212 degrees, cut off from oxygen by smoke or casings, and receiving a nutrient sugar present in the meat. The clostridium botulinum bacterium favors all three conditions.
Just trying to keep folks healthy.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ursula
Passionate
Passionate

How much will a casing hold?

Post by ursula » Thu Jun 19, 2014 08:12

There are no "silly" questions on this forum. Ask your fellow members for tips and suggestions in making your own favorite sausage recipes. Ask them about their techniques and secrets too! There are folks on this site with incredible sausage-making savvy and they will share it... BUT you will have to ASK.

Hi all,
I've done a search and haven't been able to find what I am looking for.
I am wondering if anyone has kept any records as to how much meat mix different sized casings will hold.
I am particularly interested in how much 43mm,90mm and 100mm fibrous casings will hold, especially in kg. Thought maybe someone has experience with them.
I realise there are variables like how tight you stuff etc.
I am hoping not to waste too much in the filling of salamis tomorrow, but I guess trial and error might be my path.
Best wishes Ursula
Last edited by ursula on Tue Jun 24, 2014 01:18, edited 1 time in total.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:15

Hi Ursula,

38 mm (clear or mahogany) fibrous casings are 24 inches long and hold about 1-1/2 lbs (680 gr.) of sausage. (Sold in bundles of 20 for about $14.00 per bundle.)
76 mm (clear or mahogany) fibrous casing are 24 inches long and hold about 5 lbs. (2.26 kg.) of sausage. (Sold in bundles of 20 for about $16.00 per bundle.)
88 mm (clear or mahogany) fibrous casings are 24 inches long and hold 7 lbs. (3.18 kg.) of sausage. (Sold in bundles of 20 for about $16.00 per bundle.)
124 mm (red or mahogany) fibrous casing are 24 inches long and hold 10 lbs. (4.5 kg.) of sausage (Sold in bundles of 10 for about 11.00 per bundle.)

Hope this gives you some kind of idea how much to prepare.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Jun 19, 2014 19:46

I used 88mm clear casing for this and by the time I close the ends 2.5 kg is rather difficult to handle.
Ross- tightwad home cook
ursula
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ursula » Fri Jun 20, 2014 01:33

Thanks everyone, that's really helpful. Steve, your information is particularly useful to me today, because all of the salamis I make today are 1kg and I am using 55mm casings.
How lucky we are to be part of such a great resource with such helpful and generous people. Thank you again.
Ursula
ursula
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ursula » Fri Jun 20, 2014 09:27

Well, the day is at an end and I've made four 1/2 metre salamis. My first. It was fun, actually, though I made a few errors.
I made a 1kg Hungarian, which I will smoke, a 1kg Milano (plain), but accidentally added red wine, a 1kg Milano with herbs and wine and a 1kg Danish-style Chuckwagon enhanced recipe salami.
I am obviously not as good at stuffing casings tightly as you are,Steve. My casings would only hold 930 odd grams - the last bit was hard to stuff in! I rolled the leftovers in some baking paper and will see how they will go in the fermentation process. At least they won't go to waste.
I've taken photos and kept records. What a shame you have to wait so long to eat them!
Ursula
redzed

Post by redzed » Fri Jun 20, 2014 16:40

What diameter casings did you use?
ursula
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ursula » Sat Jun 21, 2014 01:29

I used 55mm protein lined fibrous casings.
Ursula
oneills
User
User

Post by oneills » Sat Jun 21, 2014 02:15

It is the hardest part.......waiting until your salami is ready to try. I tend to let mine dry too much.

I received the last of my casings and T-SPX culture yesterday, so am already for next week
Misty Springs Free Range Pigs
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

I Have A Question

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Jun 23, 2014 06:45

There are no "silly" questions on this forum. Ask your fellow members for tips and suggestions in making your own favorite sausage recipes. Ask them about their techniques and secrets too! There are folks on this site with incredible sausage-making savvy and they will share it... BUT you will have to ASK.
Last edited by Chuckwagon on Fri Jun 27, 2014 02:35, edited 1 time in total.
two_MN_kids
Frequent User
Frequent User

Making Saddle Bum's Smoky Beef Stick

Post by two_MN_kids » Wed Jun 25, 2014 14:23

Last Sunday afternoon I mixed salt and cure #1 with 9# of diced beef and 1# pork back fat. I planned to grind, stuff, mix, and start fermenting on Thursday morning. Smoking was planned for Saturday morning.

Now everything has to be shifted as I will be gone Saturday and Sunday. :sad:

To smoke them on Friday, I would need to shorten the fermenting time to about 36 hours. Will this schedule be acceptable? I have two cultures available; F-LC and T-SPX. Which would be the better choice for a shorter fermentation?

Jim
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Jun 25, 2014 19:57

Jim, I'd go with Bactoferm™ F-LC (Short or Traditional Fermentation Time) as it has added Listeria protection. It was made for the production of fermented sausages with short or traditional production times. F-LC is recommended for the production of all types of fermented sausages. Depending on fermentation temperature, acidification is either traditional, fast or extra fast.
F-LC is a mixed culture containing Pediococcus acidilactici, Lactobacillus curvatus and Staphylococcus xylosus.
P. acidilactici ensures reliable acidification whereas S. xylosus results in strong flavor development and a good, stable color. Due to bacteriocin production, both L. curvatus and P. acidilactici contribute to suppressing growth of Listeria monocytogenes.
A 25-gram packet of F-LC will treat 220 pounds (100 kilo) of meat. Refreeze any remaining culture at the lowest temperature possible. Good luck pal, say hello to Jean, take some photos, and let us know how your project turns out! :wink:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
two_MN_kids
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by two_MN_kids » Wed Jun 25, 2014 20:26

Thanks for the advise, Chuckwagon. I'll get started on it right away; including pictures!
Jim
Aaron
User
User

Post by Aaron » Thu Jun 26, 2014 14:08

Hello everyone
I'm just starting out and have attempted Bresaola....on my first week of hanging I have whitish/green spots of Mold I did not add any nitrite or nitrate to my rub;.just salt, spices,herbs and sugar I have since wiped the meat with Apple cider vinegar and hung .I have no chamber and the meat hangs not in an ideal environment Im in Australia and I'm not getting the cooler temperatures .around 16 C and only 60% RH
My question is .........Shall I continue its 3 week hang or shall I throw the meaT AWAY???????
Last edited by Aaron on Fri Jun 27, 2014 02:35, edited 1 time in total.
Janlab
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Janlab » Thu Jun 26, 2014 15:23

Aaron,
Don't throw away, that is mold, nothing to do with nitrites. It is just the current damp weather here. I get some mold on my biltong too, but just rub it off with vinegar.
We should get together.
Jan L