Kabonosy - Tweaked

Butterbean

Kabonosy - Tweaked

Post by Butterbean » Tue Sep 16, 2014 22:04

I love kabonosy and wanted to make some more and since I raise cattle I had more beef on hand than I did pork so I tweaked the recipe in Marianski's book on page 96 and substituted lean beef for the Class 1 pork at the same percentages. I also chose to add 1/2 the allowable amount of garlic to the recipe. Other than that, I followed the procedure to the letter.

All went well till I began stuffing the sausages. Can't prove this but I think my sheep casings were 17" and not 22" because they liked to killed me getting these things on the horn. I'm sure none of this had anything to do with my eyesight or my hand eye coordination but I will say it took some time to stick about 17 lbs of mince into these little casings.

After an overnight rest in the cooler, I placed them in the smoke house and smoked them in a heavy pecan smoke till they were done then shut the heat off and allowed them to bathe in a cold smoke till they cooled. They taste wonderful but into the drying chamber they went.

Don't know if they will ever make it through the secondary drying period or not because the temptation to eat them now is very strong.

One of them that didn't make it to the drying chamber.

The rest of the batch in the chamber along with some venison basturma

I can't say the use of beef made this sausage any better than usual but I can say it didn't hurt it at all by using it. Plan on making some more this fall only using venison rather than the beef. Maybe next time the sheep casings won't be so tiny.
Darwin
User
User

Post by Darwin » Wed Sep 17, 2014 02:33

I would be happy to do a taste comparison for you :mrgreen: Your sticks look great!
redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Sep 17, 2014 07:24

Butterbean, those sausage sticks look D! ImageAs you know kabanosy are made strictly from pork, and the name comes from the term kabanek which means "fat little hog". Today in Poland kabanos (kabanosy is plural), refers to a sausage made with pork only. But all sausage sticks are also now referred to as kabanosy of one kind or another, such as turkey kabanosy, chicken kabanosy, and even salmon kabanosy. So I guess yours are beef kabanosy and you certainly did a nice job on them. Definitely would love to bite into one!

Don't think those are 17mm sheep casings, that's really thin and I have never seen that diameter them sold anywhere. The smallest most suppliers sell are 20-22mm. What size of stuffing tube did you use?
cogboy
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by cogboy » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:42

BB, Those look excellent!. I have my 22mm casings in the fridge and I'm just waiting for work to slow down before I make my first batch of these babies .
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Wed Sep 17, 2014 14:01

redzed wrote:Don't think those are 17mm sheep casings, that's really thin and I have never seen that diameter them sold anywhere. The smallest most suppliers sell are 20-22mm. What size of stuffing tube did you use?
Just kidding about the size of the casing but I can guarantee you none of them were on the high end of the 20-22 range. Or maybe its just my eyes and fat fingers. :oops: